Spyder Garage

Default Camshaft position sensor - fault code due to oil?

Just replaced my cam sensor due to a po3040 code fault. The repair guy said the connector was covered in oil I guess causing a short. Anyone else had this problem? I gave it an oil change but can’t figure out how oil got on the sensor connection.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-30-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

Two weeks ago, my 2015 ST Limited (23,000 mi) just threw up the 'check engine' light and went into a semi limp mode (6000 rpm max) and running very strange. I checked the fault code and it was P0340 (bad cam sensor). Just received the new sensor (from Partzilla.com) and installed it. The Spyder had been sitting for 2 weeks and did not want to fire up. The engine would crank but wouldn't catch and the check engine light was still on! I was starting to feel pretty sick but after about 5 attempts, the engine sputtered to life and started to run. After a short time, the engine light went off and now everything seems to be fine (PHEW!!).
    There was no evidence of any oil on or around the sensor but the sensor connector is a very robust and waterproof type of connection so I'm a little skeptical about a short caused by oil. The sensor does have an o-ring seal where it penetrates the head cover and maybe the o-ring was defective and allowed oil to escape.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How does oil get in there and not water?

They should be a weather Pak type of connector.

Spyder Garage

I’ve replaced about 100 sensors like this in cars and also the one on my Spyder,what happens is the area where the wire goes thru the plastic body of the sensor degrades due mostly to heat and some oil may seep thru.Oil is not a conductor of electricity but may cause some issues,the real problem is the heat causes the insulation on the thousands of fine wire coils to fail and sometimes the fine wire can also break.Really heat and vibration are the causes.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone have the BRP part number for the cam sensor for a 2014 RTS/1330 handy??? I think I would like to carry a spare with while traveling...THANK YOU, larryd

Spyder Garage

It is:

Camshaft Position Sensor Ass'y Exhaust emission component [+]

You can find the 'parts book' at "CheapCycleParts.com" for nearly any motorcycle. Not sure if I got your model exactly right, but the page you want is called "Valve Train" at the very end of the 'book'.

BTW- the best price I found was actually from Partzilla.com
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)