Spyder Garage

Default 2008 Spyder SM5 - is it possible to change/upgrade to SE5?

Hello my fellow Spyder lovers. First post here. I just picked up my first Spyder but I think I made a mistake. Sigh. I've never operated a standard/manual. I've never used a clutch or gear shift. Ive only driven automatics(Ryker, mopeds). So now I feel like I've wasted money. I have an 08' Spyder Roadster and assumed all Spyders were semi-automatics. Is it possible to change or upgrade from manual/standard to automatic or at least semi-automatic?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2020 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Title clarification to briefly ask question after move fm Welcome. ;-)

Spyder Garage

While the 'gearbox' itself is essentially the same for an SM5 as it is for an SE5, there's a LOT MORE involved in making an SM5 into a 'Semi-Automatic' SE5, or more correctly, making your SM5 into a manual gearbox only with electro-solenoid operated computer controlled gear shifting and a Centrifugal Clutch! So while it's probably possible to 'upgrade' to the BRP version (if you have enough time & money to throw at it) I really don't think you'll be able to do it cheaply or easily at all, Jonte!

You'd need to upgrade the computers & possibly add wiring sub-looms; add all the shift solenoids & associated electronics; change the clutch from the manually activated unit over to the Centrifugal Clutch, which might even mean sourcing & fitting a new transmission housing/block assy; get a new LH hand-grip with the flappy paddles; and probably do a bunch more besides....

BUT, that said, there are a/mkt electronic shift kits available for some manual m/bikes, and I'm pretty sure that there are a few Spyder Owners out there who've done that to their SM5's, but without one or more of them providing some detail, I'm not sure where you'd start looking; and besides, doing that still isn't quite the same or as effectively integrated! So realistically, if you can't source/fit one of those kits that'll work, you probably only have 2 other options remaining: -

1) learn to live with and use the manual clutch & shifter, which really isn't all that hard for most to learn to do reasonably competently; or

2) sell that particular SM5 Spyder and find/buy a Semi-Auto SE Spyder.

Sorry, but them's the breaks, and the choices facing you!

PS: you'll probably notice that I've moved your thread from the 'Welcome' section, where these sorts of questions rarely get answered, largely because only a few of us regularly go in there and I've edited your thread title to briefly ask your question, cos that's the best way to get viewers looking in to see what you're on about, and without viewers, you won't be all that likely to get too many responses!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2020 at 01:34 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with having more skill. Can open more options for toys

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply! Im a newbie to the motorcycle world so all of this is overwhelming. I did some research on auto clutches. Do you think its possible to install an auto clutch and electronic shift gears? Id feel very comfortable not worrying about the clutch and shifting with my hand.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JonteRaynal View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Im a newbie to the motorcycle world so all of this is overwhelming. I did some research on auto clutches. Do you think its possible to install an auto clutch and electronic shift gears? Id feel very comfortable not worrying about the clutch and shifting with my hand.
    Short answer - NO!

Sorry Jonte, but as I said earlier/above in post #2 of this thread, it REALLY wouldn't be easy or cheap!! In fact, I reckon it'd be A WHOLE LOT easier and cheaper for just about anyone to learn how to use the manual clutch!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Long before the arrival of the Semi-auto transmission for Motorcycles ..... someone invented something called or known as an " air shifter ", which was attached to a manual shifter mechanism. ..... this was originally designed for folks with physical issues that prevented them from using a manual shifter. .... As peter said converting your Spyder using BRP parts would be foolishly expensive. ...... Hopefully, others here more familiar with the " Air Shifter " will chime in ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An air shifter or any other such device won't help with the ability to operate a manual transmission. You still have to develop the control to
    coordinate a clutch and throttle.

Spyder Garage

to the site.

Sorry to hear you got a manual transmission instead of a semi-auto. Cost wise, not a good recommendation to change it out. You are looking at least at a couple thousand and then may have issues with all the electronics to make it work.

I would recommend either learning how to drive the manual or trade it up to a SE. The 2008 is the first year of the Spyder and that engine is now discontinued, making it sketchy to find the parts you will be looking for.

It really is not difficult to learn how to drive a manual. That is the direction I would go if you decide to keep the manual.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    An air shifter or any other such device won't help with the ability to operate a manual transmission. You still have to develop the control to
    coordinate a clutch and throttle.
    Here is a link to an electronic shifter, but as stated above, the manual clutch is still used with these. These were designed for someone who has limited use of their legs, not hands.
    https://disabledmotorcycleriders.com...h-of-a-button/
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue