Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Spyder Rt Passenger Heated Seat stops working after 5 mins?! Ideas?

Has anyone experienced on their 2020 RT passenger's heated seat it will stops working after approx? Five minutes. will not work again until the motor is shut down. works again for five minutes and so on the driver's seat works fine my dealer submitted this issue to BRP Thanks

Spyder Garage

No, not finding that on mine at all.
    It could be a connector issue. Heat makes the connector expand until it finally loses contact.
    I don't know. I'm just spit balling here.
    It's just that there is nothing in the firmware that shuts the heat down after 5 minutes.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I may have an issue with mine as well. Took the wife for a spin this evening and she said she could not tell if the heated seat was working or not. My driver seat warmed up quick but hers didn’t seem to be heating up. Handles were warm but not the passenger seat.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine seems to be working OK, but I haven't given it the five min test, I need to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyder, but these BRP things keep on going, got to take mine in for the infamous shaky left mirror, now the left hard bag won't open, no, it's not locked, and still no fix for the for the rear tupperware fit with BRP arm rests. How long does it take for BRP engineers figure it out? Can I ride it, absolutely and I do, but why should I have to think about ZIP ties holding metal parts together forever?

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No problems with the original seat, or the comfort seat. Wife says she has to run it on low or it is way to hot.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Check the plug and use a little die electric grease.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hip256 View Post
    Has anyone experienced on their 2020 RT passenger's heated seat it will stops working after approx? Five minutes. will not work again until the motor is shut down. works again for five minutes and so on the driver's seat works fine my dealer submitted this issue to BRP Thanks
    This is from the page 34 of the Owner's Manual:

Note: The heated seat will shut off when engine is under 800 RPM and will not resume automatically.

It's driving me nuts, too. Find myself revving the engine at a stop to keep my dang tushy warm - still shuts off after 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2021 at 07:19 PM. Reason: willshut & andwill ;-)

Spyder Garage

I took the original trim and made it fit beside the arm rests. There is actually a cut line on the underside.

Spyder Garage

We don't need no stinkin' heated seats.

Spyder Garage

Having the same problem with the passenger heated seat going off after 5 to 10 minutes. Has anyone else found a solution to this issue?
    2021 S2S , Green

Spyder Garage

What I am finding is my driver seat heat seems to shut off but then the next thing I feel it getting hot again. What could be going on is after it first reaches temp it shuts down and lets it cool off a bit too much then clicks back on and starts this cycle over again. This is what I am finding "flying from the seat of my pants"
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

I installed a heated Comfort seat on my 2020 RT.I found one plug in but I can’t find the second plug. Can someone help me, please?

Spyder Garage

This is post is from December - Its now June, I just got a sea-to-sky and experiencing the same shut off of the passenger seat heat - did anyone find a solution?

Spyder Garage

Same for us. We have a 2021 Sea to Sky. She's been noticing it the last few rides and I noticed mine doing it today as well. I have to take it in for the 3000 mile service in November. I will post an update if the dealer solves the issue.

Spyder Garage

We had our 2020 Rt infor service in August put on new rear tire 13,500 miles, tech looked further into our passenger seat heat issue contacted BRP, He and a salesman took for ride and yes ours did quit after 10 minutes as we had reported. so it is an issue. Tech also installed new stainless steel cables on side boxes as ours would not open easily without pushing in on boxes to relieve pressure on latches, told us they were corroded and BRP is replacing steel cables with stainless,work fine now. As for our seat not staying up while refueling tech added another lift strut seat stays up now!. Getting cooler here in Central Wisconsin seat heat works great on drivers seat, wife wishes hers would work as advertised, hand warmers work great but tech had to replace right passenger grip which quit working , mornings start 40 degrees, temp rise to mid 60s, under armour feels great we are hoping to keep riding till snowballs hit our windshield then were parked till spring, current miles 18,500, fuel mileage consistantly 38 to 40 M.P.G. Everyone enjoy the upcoming Holiday Seasons Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justsmile0808 View Post
    This is from the page 34 of the Owner's Manual:

Note: The heated seat will shut off when engine is under 800 RPM and will not resume automatically.

It's driving me nuts, too. Find myself revving the engine at a stop to keep my dang tushy warm - still shuts off after 5 minutes.
    Your F3 should idle at 900 rpm. They should be driven in the gear that allows 3000 - 3500 rpm range. This allows for smooth shifting and peak operating performance. Some riders like even higher rpm's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Has anybody with problems with their seat heater actually had the issue resolved by the dealer yet? Mine goes in for service on the 16th and I'm taking notes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2021 at 05:35 PM. Reason: heir = their?? ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hip256 interesting you should mention the seat not opening far enough for easy refuel. I mention this to my dealer and the response that it was working as designed, now I wonder? I'm not sure how much it should open, but I have to lift my seat a bit to safely get gas nozzle in, so I will again bring this to their attention the next service. Seems to me the strut should be strong enough so the fuel nozzle would easily clear to accesses the fuel filler.

Spyder Garage

As I included in my last post Tech added another stut to our seat not sure how he did it, My drivers seat has both a Bead Rider and Air Hawk 2 held up with no problem fueling. wife does not have to hold up now

Spyder Garage

For all those with heated passenger seat "issues" , you might try checking the thermostat in the seat circuit , perhaps its too close to the heating coil or defective - or have your tech check it. The grips and heated rails do not have the thermostat hence they always stay on. See the bottom of post at this link: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...matic-Question

The schematic and comments are directly from BRP Engineering. Explaining this to my wife she realized the heater stays on when it is on the low setting and turns off when it is on the high setting - we don't ride in very cold weather so the low setting actually does the job for us and we have not pursued other fixes.

Hope this is helpful to some of you!

Spyder Garage

This may or may not apply but I figured I’d throw it out there. I have a can am SXS. I plow with it, and we do go to WV- H&M in the winter occasionally with it if there’s no snow to ride sleds in the winter or spring. Its a 2019 and It has heated seats. On low heat settings it’s comfortable running at 3000-4000 rpm. On high setting it actually gets super hot and then kicks off for 3-5 minutes, gets hot again, kicks off for 3-5 minutes and does that again. My wife swears the 4th rotation and after it stays off longer. It definitely gets hot and cools on high. On low it seems to stay constant no pulsating. One thing to say is at idle if you turn it on and not sitting on it the seat doesn’t get hot. It only seems to get hot once it’s moving. The heat doesn’t disperse unless sitting on it. My sleds, wheeler and SXS have heated grips too, and they are constant and ridiculously hot on high. They never turn off or pulsate. The spyder grips don’t seem as hot. But again both my wife and I never run those on high either. We’re cold blooded and love the snow. So I’d say BRP put a thermostat in our seats for high on the SXS. I have Dave’s heated pads on my 17 comfort seat and they never pulsate on or off. Is it possible, and just throwing it out there that there is a safety heat thermostat before the relay so the relay doesn’t overheat if the grips and seats are on?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Mine does not work. Rider is fine, passenger doesn't get warm at all. Took it to the dealer in January. They finally got around to calling me back to come in last Tues to replace the seat because according to them, there aren't any available...Didn't think much of it, other than 9 months for a seat? Really? Anyway, I took their word for it and rode home.
    As I got closer to home, I decided to turn on the passenger's heated seat. Made it home, touched the seat...not warm at all. So, I decided to sit on it for 20 minutes with the spyder running at about 850...still not heat.
    Called dealer asked if they tested it. They couldn't confirm. Went back to the dealer this past Tues and heard every kind of excuse. from you have to be sitting on it to turn on to buds says it's working. Ok smart technician touch the driver seat, now touch the passenger seat. Do you feel the diff in temp. Response: The passenger seat doesn't warm past 86 degrees or some nonsense, but the rider's warms to 95+. Really? Does this seat feel like it's anywhere near 80 degrees, 70 degrees even? Stop blowing smoke.
    So, after some back and forth, they try to hit me with the "we'll have to keep it here to figure it out". Ehhh...nah no thanks. It took you 9 months just to get a seat which they say isn't even the 1 they ordered from BRP as replacement. They had to source 1 from another dealer. So, no, you will not keep it for an indeterminate amount of time to provide no answer or resolution.
    With that said, there was another customer there with a 20RTL(mine is the RT base with added heated limited seat) He said he never had an issue with his passenger seat and his wife loves it.
    So, to answer your question, no, the dealer did not fix it. They haven't even identified the problem. I may go to a different shop and have them take a look. The temps are dipping a bit and I want whoever rides with me to be as comfortable as possible. If anyone finds a fix or workaround, please share. And yes, I switched back and forth between the low and high settings(still no warming for the passenger).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    . So I’d say BRP put a thermostat in our seats for high on the SXS. I have Dave’s heated pads on my 17 comfort seat and they never pulsate on or off. Is it possible, and just throwing it out there that there is a safety heat thermostat before the relay so the relay doesn’t overheat if the grips and seats are on?
    Please see above post from eschmid2 that references another post showing the seat schematic and YES there is a thermostat no question about it, it will need to cool before allowing heat to cycle on again and depending on what is surrounding the thermostat will dictate how fast it cools. Also the thermostat is in the seat so after the power relay. The grips are independent of the thermostat in the seats of course and there is no thermostat in the circuit for the grips (driver or passenger)

Spyder Garage

JohnRuckus, just a shot in the dark here, a not very hopeful one at that.... but does the Passenger Seat Sensor that's situated under the Passenger seat actually work?? Maybe it's not connected at all (dealers have been known to 'forget' to do that when assembling Spyders! ) or you (or someone else maybe??) might disabled the passenger seat sensor afterwards??

A few, maybe even quite a few Spyder Owners have found that sensor never got plugged in when their Spyder was assembled; while probably just as many if not more have done various things to stop the 'passenger aboard' sensor from triggering whenever there's weight on the pillion seat, cos if that switch is triggered it turns the Nanny on to a higher state of alert to calm you down more when you have a pillion aboard - something that can be really annoying at times . Sooo, if there's any chance that's the case, then your seat heater might never actually realise there's any weight on that seat & so may not let the heater turn on at all?!?

Just a thoughty....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hey Peter,

Good question. No answer. I never removed the seat b/c I can never find those seat tabs that everyone says need to be pressed to remove the passenger seat lol. Since the dealer replaced the seat on Tuesday, I'd think that even if it wasn't connected before, it should be now, but who knows? LOL. Maybe I'll try to find those tabs again. I was so irritated I almost purchased the sea to sky seat assembly that someone was selling on here, but figured if the problem is with a connection, it would leave me in the same situation I'm currently in.
    The question I have is does someone have to be seated on it to activate it? That doesn't make sense to me, b/c the rider's seat activates w/o me on it.