Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat Gas Door Pass Through

Has anyone added a gas door pass through on the side of their Ultimate Seat?
    I have a 2011 RSS. Ultimate Seats will not put one on the RSS seat, but they will the RT seat.
    I asked if it could be done by a local upholstery shop, and was told I would have to take the seat there to find out.
    I dont want to order a $1000 seat if I cannot have the pass through.
    I have one one my Comfort Seat and i LOVE it.

So, has anyone successfully done it?
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    I have a 2011 RSS. Ultimate Seats will not put one on the RSS seat, but they will the RT seat.
    I asked if it could be done by a local upholstery shop, and was told I would have to take the seat there to find out.

I added a GAS Door to my 2011 RSS, back in 2013.... I used a Fuel door from a Yamaha FJ??? ( can't remember exactly which one, but other crotch rocket style Fuel doors will work ) .... it is small enough to fit the RS - GS - St seat shape ...... it was a stock seat, but the Ultimate is shaped almost the same way, so it will fit that also..... when I was vendoring I put a couple on customers seats and sold a few for others to DIY their seats ...... be advised the OEM gas cap is difficult to get off, ( very tight fit for the hole size ). However you can buy a Perma II gas cap that has a spring loaded rubber sealed flap .... you just push it open with the Gas nozzle, and it C.A.R.B. certified ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

BlueKnight911,

Do you have a part number for the Perma II gas cap or is it universal? I can’t find much information on this item and it appears to be out of stock everywhere I’ve checked.

Spyder Garage

I have a Ultimate seat too and i ask them if they will put a gas door on it and they said the seat is not strong enough for the gas door on this Rt seat. I guess the frame is different on the gas door ones. It would be handy to have one.

Spyder Garage

Corbin's have a gas door and its sweet but ....I don't like the seat nor the backrest ...bummer. I bought a 2012 RTL that's mint....can I put a gas door on it?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I added a GAS Door to my 2011 RSS, back in 2013.... I used a Fuel door from a Yamaha FJ??? ( can't remember exactly which one, but other crotch rocket style Fuel doors will work ) .... it is small enough to fit the RS - GS - St seat shape ...... it was a stock seat, but the Ultimate is shaped almost the same way, so it will fit that also..... when I was vendoring I put a couple on customers seats and sold a few for others to DIY their seats ...... be advised the OEM gas cap is difficult to get off, ( very tight fit for the hole size ). However you can buy a Perma II gas cap that has a spring loaded rubber sealed flap .... you just push it open with the Gas nozzle, and it C.A.R.B. certified ....... Mike
    Thanks BlueKnight! Yes. The Comfort Seat i have on it now has the Perma II Gas Cap on it. I love that feature. I didnt want to give up not having to lift the seat to fill the tank if I decided to go with the Ultimate Seat.
    I didnt want to spend a grand on a new seat, only to not be able to add the fuel door pass through to it.
    I know Corbin has the flap thing, and that might be an option. Though i have heard that Corbin seats are very firm. I dont know if my tailbone would like a very firm seat. It was complaining this past weekend with the Comfort Seat and an Airhawk Cushion.
    2011 RSS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    BlueKnight911,

Do you have a part number for the Perma II gas cap or is it universal? I can’t find much information on this item and it appears to be out of stock everywhere I’ve checked.
    DanY - I dont think Perma II are made any longer. I have a Hagen I purchased from Summit Racing. I thought it was a Perma, but i remember now that it is a Hagan.
    Pretty much the same thing. it is nice to have!
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hag-fdcap
    2011 RSS SE5

Spyder Garage

I have one of those no cap filler necks on my new truck, didn't think I'd like it, but I am warming up to it so far!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I can't speak directly to Corbin seats for Spyders, but I did have one custom made for an HD RoadKing at their facility in Hollister, CA. Yes, it's quite firm at first, and they say to allow 1500 miles to shape itself to your posterior. It didn't take that long for me to feel comfortable on it, and once it "broke in" I considered it the best motorcycle seat I'd ever had. Most important, it doesn't "mash down" after a few miles and is consistently supportive - sort of like Mercedes seats vs. '70s US seats.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Corbin's have a gas door and its sweet but ....I don't like the seat nor the backrest ...bummer. I bought a 2012 RTL that's mint....can I put a gas door on it?
    Yes, I have posted " how to do it " on Forum quite a few times .... do a Search ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

DanY - I dont think Perma II are made any longer. I have a Hagen I purchased from Summit Racing. I thought it was a Perma, but i remember now that it is a Hagan.
    Pretty much the same thing. it is nice to have!
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hag-fdcap
    Yes the Hagan looks EXACTLY the same as the Perma Cap II ..... but 3 to 4 times the price ....check E-bay ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    There's a thread tonight that had a new gas door for a rt seat!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    I have a Ultimate seat too and i ask them if they will put a gas door on it and they said the seat is not strong enough for the gas door on this Rt seat. I guess the frame is different on the gas door ones. It would be handy to have one.
    What model are they referring to ???? ..... and is your seat OEM, and on what Spyder ..... I'll try to help but I need more info .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    There's a thread tonight that had a new gas door for a rt seat!!
    What is the " thread named " I couldn't find it. .....thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    What is the " thread named " I couldn't find it. .....thanks .... Mike
    RT items for sale. It's two down from top in the for sale by owner
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default RSS Gas Door

Here is a link to an old post about making a DIY gas door for an RSS.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ec-2009-RS-Gas
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Here is a link to an old post about making a DIY gas door for an RSS.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ec-2009-RS-Gas
    Haze, Thanks for that LINK ..... Due to " old age " I forgot about Sheila's project ...... She did a nice job ...... I learned a few tricks while doing this as a Vendor. #1- I didn't use a paper/cardboard template ... I used the actual gas door RING ... after BURNING one hole in the Vinyl seat, then drilling it through, I would use a 2" X 1/4 dia. bolt ( temporarily ) to hold it in place .... then I would continue using the opposite hole and another 2" X 1/4 bolt ...... I then tightened both of those to FULLY compress the RING onto the seat ..... I then did the rest of the holes needed to accomplish the complete attachment ....... I then used a SHARP utility knife to Cut/Trim the seat material inside the RING, leaving a slight amount to act as a FLANGE, so the door wouldn't go past the RING edge..... I also decided to not heat the foam edge and left it cut , and then painted it black. .... I bought all my DOORS on E-bay @ about $20.00 each..... It should be noted that these doors need to be trimmed of some of the metal AND the actual LOCK that it comes in the door LID. .... not difficult, but it needs to be done to make it work with the PermaCap ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    " Ultimate " never read how I solved the problem .... mine works ... others have followed my instructions successfully ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Attention: Folks who want a gas door in their seat....
    I can fix you up for FREE
    Call me 209-887-3283
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO.jpg