Spyder Garage

Default Toyo Tire combination for 2015 F3-S

Hello,
    Time for a tire change. I live in central Arizona and never ride in the snow and hardly ever ride in the rain. I am looking for tires which grip the road well and stay grippy for at least 8000 miles. Tread life is not too important to me as I only ride 2000 miles/year or less. I had Toyo R888Rs on my viper and they really gripped the road unbelievably well. I have searched tire rack and found the following Toyo tires that will fit on my ride:

TOYO
    PROXES T1R
    185/55R15

TOYO
    PROXES RA1
    225/50ZR15

If I go with the T1Rs, will I need fender spacers and if so, will any decent tire shops be able to install them? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikearmentano View Post
    Hello,
    Time for a tire change. I live in central Arizona and never ride in the snow and hardly ever ride in the rain. I am looking for tires which grip the road well and stay grippy for at least 8000 miles. Tread life is not too important to me as I only ride 2000 miles/year or less. I had Toyo R888Rs on my viper and they really gripped the road unbelievably well. I have searched tire rack and found the following Toyo tires that will fit on my ride:

TOYO
    PROXES T1R
    185/55R15

TOYO
    PROXES RA1
    225/50ZR15

If I go with the T1Rs, will I need fender spacers and if so, will any decent tire shops be able to install them? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I had the Toyo Proxes T1R's in that size on my 14 RT ...... stickiest tire I have ever used on a Spyder, I put some washers ( of proper size ) on the front wheel hubs...... I also ELONGATED the holes in the metal tabs that the plastic fenders attach to ... I would not do this again becuase I improved the Lateral traction so much the VSS Nanny didn't like it...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.
    Do you think the VREDESTEIN, QUATRAC 5 165/60R15 would pair well with the TOYO PROXES RA1 225/50ZR15?

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.
    Do you think the VREDESTEIN, QUATRAC 5 165/60R15 would pair well with the TOYO PROXES RA1 225/50ZR15?
    During my Tire search investigations I found the Vredestein Q-5 ( about 8 mos ago ) .... it has the best performance rating of any tire that will fit on a Spyder ..... among it's attributes are wet road traction and very good traction in colder temps...... you my not need these but it's other numbers are extremely high compared to other Auto tires ................. would they Pair well --- absolutely .... and I bought the 165/60-15 size next season it will be on my 14 RT ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for your advice Mike. I ended up ordering 205/50R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 for the rear and 165/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 for the front.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for your advice Mike. I ended up ordering 205/50R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 for the rear and 165/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 for the front.
    Why the " 50 " aspect ratio ???? .... the 60 and 65 aspect tires @ 205 width are almost the same as the 225/50-15 Kenda's ..... the 50 series will give you a bit more " quickness off the line ", but your gas MPG's will suffer a small amount ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Why the " 50 " aspect ratio ???? .... the 60 and 65 aspect tires @ 205 width are almost the same as the 225/50-15 Kenda's ..... the 50 series will give you a bit more " quickness off the line ", but your gas MPG's will suffer a small amount ...... Mike
    Tire rack did not have the 60s. They do have the 65s. Do you think the 65s will be more comfortable than the 50s? I don’t mind a slight decrease in MPG.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had Vredestein Q5s installed a few months ago. 175/55 up front and 205/65 on the rear.

Definitely would not go any larger than 175 on the front, they fill the fender quite well.

I have not done the math to compare the 205/65's diameter to the stock 225/50, but it appears to be just large enough to remove the slight speedometer error. The taller sidewall also removes a bit of the harshness that was present before. Might be the sidewall height, might be the lower inflation pressure, just might be because it's a better tire. Doesn't matter why, I just accept the fact that it works.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I had Vredestein Q5s installed a few months ago. 175/55 up front and 205/65 on the rear.

Definitely would not go any larger than 175 on the front, they fill the fender quite well.

I have not done the math to compare the 205/65's diameter to the stock 225/50, but it appears to be just large enough to remove the slight speedometer error. The taller sidewall also removes a bit of the harshness that was present before. Might be the sidewall height, might be the lower inflation pressure, just might be because it's a better tire. Doesn't matter why, I just accept the fact that it works.

Almost everyone uses the diameter as the important number ..... I DON'T .... the Circumference is really what determines the physical size of the tire, and how likely the comfort level is going to be. The Aspect ratio ( height of the sidewall ) is very important in determining how the tires feel ie. comfort level. The diameter tells you what the wheel size needs to be..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: determining ;-)

Spyder Garage

Tire rack did not have the 60s. They do have the 65s. Do you think the 65s will be more comfortable than the 50s? I don’t mind a slight decrease in MPG.
    Tire Rack is one of the Vredestein marketers ... Vulcan tire & Simple tire are two others ..... The 60 and 65's have a taller sidewall, which will allow for a larger compression ability. Tires are an important part of the " suspension system " .... For Spyders which should run much lower PSI's ( because they are much lighter than Auto's ) to achieve max performance. Also benefit from a more comfortable ride. During traction studies ( lateral ) ... I've seen films showing the same tire, on the same vehicle, with various tire PSI's. The actual tire contact patch will vary more than you think, depending on the PSI at the time of measurement. ..... To directly answer your question, YES the 65 will be more comfortable,... IF ... it has the correct PSI for ( in our case ) a Spyder or a Ryker ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Almost everyone uses the diameter as the important number ..... I DON'T, .... the Circumference is really what determines the physical size of the tire, ...
    You probably have a bit more experience than I in this regard, but I have always felt that without a diameter, you would not have a circumference.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    You probably have a bit more experience than I in this regard, but I have always felt that without a diameter, you would not have a circumference.

... and that is correct, and no RADIUS either .... but that wasn't the point .... sorry you missed it ..... Mike .....

Spyder Garage

I was able to cancel the 205/50 and order a 205/65. Thanks guys for all the help and advice!