Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about the General (Altimax RT43)

While I am not mechanically incompetent, I must say that changing the rear tire on an RTL is NOT for the meek or those who cannot use four letter expletives silently! That being said, I did get 11,700 miles out of the original tire and since it was down to the wear bars, I figured that it was time for a change. I watched as many of the videos on this subject that I could find and pored over a lot of the forum questions and answers that I could find. So, I put on my big boy pants and bought the General in 215/60 r15 and removed the rear wheel. I found someone to change and balance the tire and put the wheel back on (with a friend's help).
    I was used to the Kenda "breaking loose", but I did not expect it with the General! To be fair, the roads were still a little wet from the morning's rain, but I did not expect that the tire would break loose so easily! In curves, the bike would actually start to fishtail with no change in throttle input! When it started to rain, things got worse!

My question: I remember hearing many times how you should take it real easy on new motorcycle tires for the first 100 miles because they were inherently slick when new. Should I have expected the same with a car tire on the Spyder?? Traction was great on dry roads, but that squirrellyness on wet roads was totally unexpected! Thank you in advance for your input!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

What PSI are you running in the general car tire? Remember, it only needs about 18-20 PSI. The tire installer might have just "assumed" being a car tire he should put in up to 35#.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    What PSI are you running in the general car tire? Remember, it only needs about 18-20 PSI.
    Agree 100%!
    Most think that since BRP recommends 28# that is what all tires require, but since true car tires are designed for vehicles that are more than twice the weight of a Spyder less pressure allows your tire to perform at it's best.
    I run between 18-20# in my rear car tires.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Because the Spyder is so light in the rear any tire will be prone to breaking loose on wet pavement. I had a Michelin HydroEdge on my 2013 RT. I was surprised how quickly it broke loose even after several thousand miles of wear. My current Cooper will break loose but not nearly as quickly. The General Altimax I used before the Cooper would also break loose on wet pavement and hard acceleration.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Agree 100%!
    Most think that since BRP recommends 28# that is what all tires require, but since true car tires are designed for vehicles that are more than twice the weight of a Spyder less pressure allows your tire to perform at it's best.
    I run between 18-20# in my rear car tires.
    ...200%, any spyder using auto tires needs way less air pressure. New tires need to wear a bit before they will provide best traction .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Because the Spyder is so light in the rear any tire will be prone to breaking loose on wet pavement. I had a Michelin HydroEdge on my 2013 RT. I was surprised how quickly it broke loose even after several thousand miles of wear. My current Cooper will break loose but not nearly as quickly. The General Altimax I used before the Cooper would also break loose on wet pavement and hard acceleration.
    I was actually considering a Cooper tire, but I posed the question when I purchased the tire which he thought would be best for my application, the Cooper or the General. He said the General, no question.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light

Spyder Garage

No traction problems with the General and I'm running it at 20psi.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

On these cooler day, it takes longer for tires to warm. When tires are cold and harder, they do not have the traction they do warm. Ever notice the electric tire warmers on race bikes?
    I agree, that installer may have put way too much air in. When I bought my F3L new, the first thing I did when I got it home was to check the air in the tires. The DEALER had put 40 psi in all three!
    I do not trust other guys with tools and my vehicles and that includes air gauges. Trust but verify as Ronnie Reagan would say.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

i agree with all the posts i have had two generals on mine and they last great if you keep the pressure down also had a kumho and two other brands and the general was the best

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    I was actually considering a Cooper tire, but I posed the question when I purchased the tire which he thought would be best for my application, the Cooper or the General. He said the General, no question.
    What was the PSI ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I am also running the General Altimax RT43 on the rear of my spyder.

I am on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43..

Mileage on my first General was approximately 17,033 ( the OEM was changed at 5,824)miles. The 2nd General rear tire was changed last year at roughly at 26,000 miles. I haven't had any problems the General.

I run 26PSI.

I ride solo all the time.
    Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 09-27-2020 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added to post @ 5:56 pm on 9/27/2020

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I am also running the General Altimax RT43 on the rear of my spyder.

I am on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43..

Mileage on my first General was approximately 17,033 ( the OEM was changed at 5,824)miles. The 2nd General rear tire was changed last year at roughly at 26,000 miles. I haven't had any problems the General.

I run 19 PSI.

I ride solo all the time.
    Deanna
    19 psi , interesting ..... you used to run it at 26 psi .... why the change ???? .................Mike

Spyder Garage

I swear that I had posted a "quote reply" when questioned about the psi, don't know what I did wrong. Once I got the wheel back on the floor, I dropped it down from #28 to #18 before I rode it. Thank you all for your input!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    19 psi , interesting ..... you used to run it at 26 psi .... why the change ???? .................Mike
    I forgot that I use to ran 26PSI.

I'll change my post to 26PSI.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD