Spyder Garage

Default Spark Plug Replacement 2012 rss-se5 ??

Need to replace spark plugs on 2012 RSS-SE5. Manual says to use heat sink paste [ thermal paste] on threads. Is anti seize compound ok to use? If not, where can I buy thermal paste? What is torque setting for these plugs. Thanks. John

Spyder Garage

Talk to baja ron a sponsor he sales spark plugs and paste

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderwing View Post
    Need to replace spark plugs on 2012 RSS-SE5. Manual says to use heat sink paste [ thermal paste] on threads. Is anti seize compound ok to use? If not, where can I buy thermal paste? What is torque setting for these plugs. Thanks. John
    A very good question. And one that, unfortunately, most people ask AFTER they do the install.

Thermal paste is designed to improve heat transfer from the spark plug to the cylinder head. The threads on a spark plug are responsible for 70% of this heat transfer process so the thermal paste is very important.

Anti-seize acts as an insulator. The exact opposite of what you want to achieve. In short, use a good, high temp thermal paste. Not anti-seize. You can get this at any computer store and some automotive parts stores. (If you are not in a hurry, you can get it from me). You do not need much. You should also use dielectric grease on the spark plug boots. This keeps moisture out, extends the life of the boot, and makes them much easier to remove at the next service interval. You can use copious amounts of dielectric grease on the boots. (Inside Only)

My only other suggestion is, do not replace the spark plugs without replacing the wire set. The OEM wires are of very poor materials and construction. They don't last very long, and the high resistance robs you of a good bit of electrical energy to the spark plugs. If your Spyder is missing and you replace only the spark plugs. It will run worse when you are done than it did before you did the service.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-02-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you both. I appreciate your help. John