Spyder Garage

Default First ride .. first impressions

Well got about 250 on the new RTL, and it's going to be everything we hoped for.

there is definitely a difference with the ECO mode on, but still pretty awesome. NOT countersteering has been a bit of an issue, along with the missing front brake ... and no clutch. That took some getting used to. It's awesome not worrying about road surface conditions, leaves, stop-and-go traffic. Got more than a few waves (even from the Harley guys!!! LOL) and quite a few "nice bike" comments... one guy in a parking lot talked to us for 15 minutes about how he liked it. He'll be in the market soon I think!

So ... generally, how fast can I corner? Generally... like maybe as fast as my touring bike once I get used to it?
    Can I really crank those bars around? That was a little scary .. seeing the load come off the inside tire a little ... HOLY CRAP!!! I got used to it tough, but am wondering .. I really need to go a little quicker, and not slow down so much, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks again...

I'll be back!!

Mike
    2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

One thing that will help a lot is shifting your body into the corner. Lean towards the inside of the corner. This helps counter the g-forces and allows you to go faster.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just pick up and shift your butt over a little in the corner
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Smooth is fast....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Get some miles on your bones and the bike and get fully accustomed to how to handle the machine in twisties before you try to see how fast you can go. Do it for your and your partner's safety.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

All good comments. Personally I tend to both lean into the corner and lean forward as well. I suppose that's a hold over from road racing days many, many years ago, but it works for me. It does take a good bit of time, in my experience, not to be bothered by the feeling that you're about to be thrown off to the outside of the corner. The tendency, when facing that sensation, is to tense up, hang on for dear life, and end up overcorrecting. It's something of a leap of faith, but it's very unlikely you will be tossed into the weeds on the outside of the curve before granny intervenes to "protect" you (and herself).
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Leaning into the corner and planting the "outside" foot does indeed reduce the "g" forces in cornering. We do it all the time.

I had the "nanny" kick in once when I first got the F3. That corner really did mean 35 mph...not what I was doing. ???? I am a quick learner though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Push down hard with the outside foot like you are trying to lift that cheek off the saddle.
    Give your body and brain time to assimilate to the inputs the Spyder is sending. After a while - maybe 2K miles - you won't even notice those inputs. That's when the yee haw factor takes over. Been there.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mastering the Spyder

Back in 09 when I first looked at the Spyders , the manager gave me the best advice ..( I was about to take a test ride ) He said forget all the things you do on your Wing , and just drive the Spyder like a CAR. I had a nice 20 min. ride and traded my Wing on the spot. Then it took about 3,000 mi. to get where I am now. Those yel. /org. speed advisory signs I easily go 15 to 25 over..... No B.S. ..... once mastered you will surprise your-self how well they handle ........... But NEVER exceed your comfort zone .... saddle time is what it will take ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

On 2 wheels, I was a master at tip-toeing doing a 360 turn. Now I speed into them hoping to break the rear tire loose. The yee-haw factor is way higher on my Spyder than in was an a 2 wheeler.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    On 2 wheels, I was a master at tip-toeing doing a 360 turn.
    Yeah ... for me too .. something to do with age ... maybe???
    hip and leg pain... I was turning into the duck-walk master. Not enjoying ourselves anymore on 2 wheels.
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    once mastered you will surprise your-self how well they handle
    This is exactly what I was hoping to read. Up to 300 miles now, and I am much more comfortable, I can see things almost starting to become second nature, and that is exciting.
    I'm not asking this because I am looking to break the back tire loose, or get the inside tire to lift .. I just wanted to hear that I wont always be slowing through bends and corners.

Thanks!
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

Spyder Garage

Keep telling yourself, "this thing will not tip over" until you believe it. I had to.

Spyder Garage

I keep my waste loose so my up torso is always level. Here in PA. we have a lot of backwards camber roads (left turn and the road is leaning right) takes a lot to get used to But we figured it out. Yesterday I had to twist throttle more than I normally do(pulling out) because of a car flying through the parking lot. Left wheel was off the ground big time and the wife was swearing at me
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Most left curves out here are off camber and that was the one thing on the learning curve that took the longest to deal with. At the 4K mile mark it's now a piece of cake.

Spyder Garage

I had a similar 1st outing today. Picked up the 2020 RT Friday. Today I rode sweep 200 miles behind my 2 'sport bike' friends who were oblivious of my altered ego. Last Sunday I was on a Triumph Trophy 1200 SE. They clearly had the acceleration advantage but I only lost a few seconds in the twisties. I think having raced go-karts for many years helped with the G-force difference. The front end is too soft to do much more than 20+ over the curve signs without getting a bit hairy. I'm awaiting a Bajaron sway bar that should add some stability. I miss the lean but won't miss the drops!
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Just pick up and shift over a little in the corner. Once you'll ride few more rides, you will get use to it and will learn how to handle this Bike.