Spyder Garage

Spyder VTwin and Red Dust ??

Is the red dust on the front sprocket an issue on the 998 VTwins?
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not on Peggy's.

Spyder Garage

Have not heard of any.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Have not heard of any.
    .... and so far my 14 RT hasn't shown the Red dust ..... the first I heard of this issue was with the 2015 F-3's after about 2 yrs. and not all of them has the issue ..... IMHO this may have started because BRP changed the vendor for these associated parts .... sometimes saving a few bucks can be a BAD thing ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

There's on reasoning behind this sprocket thing, no one's really put there finger on the cause, bad installation, bad parts, ect!! It's to bad, and why is it seem to be only the F-3's ! For just a piece of mind it would be nice if BRP would fess up and give us some insight on this issue, they have to have a clue on the why's and what for!!! But it would take coming forward and saying we F**** up, and then they would have to fork out some money to fix it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It's been an issue since day 1. A year or so later BRP issued a TSB saying that the failure was due to 'insufficient clamping force' applied by the bolt at the factory and directed dealers to retorque the bolt to a higher spec then mark the head with a X to show it had been done. The TSB was 'published' on this forum at the time, probly by Lamonster. I think the latest torque spec for that bolt is 110ftlb.

If applying lube to the spline it is critically important that the lube does not get onto the inner face of the pulley or the mating face of the shaft - just the spline only.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just curious, does the bolt tighten down on the shaft, or onto the sprocket? My VFR has the bolt tighten down on the shaft, that way the sprocket is
    free to "float" a bit on the shaft. Hence the use of some kind of lube to keep wear to a minimum. I put anti-seize on the sprocket, but not everyone
    does, but the number of failed sprockets due to spline failure is minuscule.

Spyder Garage

The bolt tightens onto the pulley - this provides the clamping force BRP speaks of here, way back in Dec 2009 when I got my Spyder:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t-BRP-Bulletin

See post 54 for copy of TSB.

but the number of failed sprockets due to spline failure is minuscule. but if it happens to your trike, the consequences of such a failure are far from miniscule.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    The bolt tightens onto the pulley - this provides the clamping force BRP speaks of here, way back in Dec 2009 when I got my Spyder:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t-BRP-Bulletin

See post 54 for copy of TSB.

but the number of failed sprockets due to spline failure is minuscule. but if it happens to your trike, the consequences of such a failure are far from miniscule.
    Amen on that.
    Seems odd that sprocket tightened down like that would work loose. I wonder if that flywheel addition to the sprocket could have some bearing on it. I wonder if anyone has
    checked a sprocket for balance. Maybe if that weight was off center a bit you might have some issues. That thing is a new one on me.