Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldryder View Post
    I did a search but didn't find anything.

On the very 1st day I took my spyder for a ride 2 deer ran out in front of me. They were far enough ahead of me that even with my delayed braking response using the brake pedal there was no problem.

However, 40+ years of motorcycle riding including track instruction which emphasized use of the front brake leaves me wishing for a handlebar brake lever every time I ride the spyder.

I doubt I'm the only or 1st old fart motorcyclist with this issue.

So ... is there a retrofit package to add a handlebar brake lever to a spyder.

Thx to anyone taking the time to offer advice.

mark in MN
    I installed the ISCI handbrake system https://isciride.com/product/handbrake-f3/ on my F3 for 2 reasons. I have a spinal cord injury and basically can’t use my right leg for braking, and I’m used to handbrakes from 2 wheels. It is pricey, but a necessity for me to ride now.

There was also a member that converted his ryker to front brake handbrake while keeping the rear brake pedal. I would actually like to do this on mine, but keeping the all wheel braking with the handbrake. The write up starts on post #16. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ebar-handbrake

Quote Originally Posted by FastOldGuy View Post
    TRUST ME... Look, I'm not a Tight Old Fart X-Harley Rider (240k miles) but paying $1,395 for the handlebar brake lever? Bull. Don't push it until you get used to the Spyder. How many of you/us Old Farts Applied The FRONT Brake FIRST Anyway before the Spyder. I think most old riders just feel funny with Only 1 Brake but... Your Car Only Has 1 Brake for Stopping. Whatever Float Your Boat! Ride Safe!!
    Out of 4 different sportbikes with hard riding, and numerous track days, I NEVER used my rear brakes. Same applied to 2 harley’s. The front brakes equate to 80% of stopping power on motorcycles, and in actuality is more than enough to stop in all situations. Enough to lift the rear and flip the bike over.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes a handbrake to me is necessary

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Lamont and I made handlebar brakes from a Suzuki M109R Clutch Cable and lever to linkage which actuates the brake system. It's wonderful! Use it all the time. It doesn't work quite as well as the ISCI system. But for around $100.00, it's not bad.

While I agree that the Spyder does not 'NEED' a handlebar brake. It sure is good to maintain that skill if you're going back and forth between 2 wheels and 3. And, like I said, it comes in very handy for a lot of situations.

My first handbrake took three prototypes before I got the hydraulics right.
    It wasn't about just front brake control like the two wheel motorcycle it was about
    having brake control within microseconds from your hand not your foot.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...3988#post63988

Again we talked about the handbrake that BRP decided that we did not need.

Such a simple engineering device for them to make it OEM and added as an accessory would sell
    more Spyders to the two wheel going to three wheel crowd then they know.

I could not get over not having it. My right hand would pull air every time I stepped on the brake.

And when I put Highway pegs on my first Spyder I knew I had to have a handbrake again.

It's about Safety. I've put handbrake on every Spyder I owned even on the 2020 LTD it was not hard.

It does not affect the OEM foot brake is not connected to the master cylinder hydraulically.

I still do not understand why they don't get it. And with thousands upon thousands of miles on
    Five Spyders I have owned it has saved me more than once.

Nexus

Spyder Garage

I have 103,000 miles on my Spyder. The first 20,000 without a hand brake. I added highway pegs which moved my foot away from the foot brake pedal. I added the hand brake from ISCL and I really like it. If you depress the foot brake and then apply the hand brake you definitely can feel the extra stopping power. If the cost isn't prohibitive, you won't regret the addition.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake for your Spyder

I know just what you mean, I look for mine all the time.
    I am a dealer / distributor for lots of motorcycle accessories
    and I have a hand brake setup for your Spyder.
    Give me a call 209-887-3283 -
    7 days a week I am in California
    Pacific time zone. I will give yo all the details and price.
    Dqve
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by oldryder View Post
    I did a search but didn't find anything.

On the very 1st day I took my spyder for a ride 2 deer ran out in front of me. They were far enough ahead of me that even with my delayed braking response using the brake pedal there was no problem.

However, 40+ years of motorcycle riding including track instruction which emphasized use of the front brake leaves me wishing for a handlebar brake lever every time I ride the spyder.

I doubt I'm the only or 1st old fart motorcyclist with this issue.

So ... is there a retrofit package to add a handlebar brake lever to a spyder.

Thx to anyone taking the time to offer advice.

mark in MN

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst105 View Post
    Out of 4 different sportbikes with hard riding, and numerous track days, I NEVER used my rear brakes. Same applied to 2 harley’s. The front brakes equate to 80% of stopping power on motorcycles, and in actuality is more than enough to stop in all situations. Enough to lift the rear and flip the bike over.
    I'm not sure Honda would agree with you. Both the foot brake and handlebar brake on the Goldwing actuate caliper pistons on both wheels. This is to prevent exactly what you say can happen if you use front braking only.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'm not sure Honda would agree with you. Both the foot brake and handlebar brake on the Goldwing actuate caliper pistons on both wheels. This is to prevent exactly what you say can happen if you use front braking only.
    I’ve never owned a Goldwing. Sounds like an ABS system. My point was more to the comment of who applies the front brake first on a motorcycle, and that you should be applying the front brake as it has almost all of the stopping power. That’s why most people grab for an invisible lever when getting into the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I just returned from a romp on back roads around Mount Hood. Having recently acquired the skills and the nerve to push 'er on twisties, I did! It was a beautiful, clear, 70* day. There were times when I had to brake hard at speeds around 60 mph and the ABS would activate. Is this normal?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I’ve never owned a Goldwing. Sounds like an ABS system. My point was more to the comment of who applies the front brake first on a motorcycle, and that you should be applying the front brake as it has almost all of the stopping power. That’s why most people grab for an invisible lever when getting into the Spyder.
    As I remember, the early years of the GL1800 had ABS as an option. My 2005 had it. But the interconnection between the front and rear brakes was the same whether or not the bike had ABS.

Most riders make the change successfully from foot + handlebar to foot only in due time. After all, almost all of us have no problem with a foot brake only in our cars and trucks. So why should it be different with a Spyder? Beats me. If adding touring foot rests creates a situation where one has a real delay in moving from the foot rest to the brake pedal, then I will agree a handlebar brake would be good. In my experience and understanding I don't see how having a hand brake would improve the braking operation of the Spyder. The brakes are not only ABS equipped, but the brake computer distributes the braking force among all three wheels for the best stability of the bike. The computer applies more braking to the front wheels, because like you've said, that's where it's needed. In case you aren't aware the VSS (or Nanny) will automatically operate the brakes if you get into a situation of going around a curve too fast.

When I read Nexus' post above the question that came to my mind is, "Did repeatedly installing a hand brake on each new Spyder inadvertently reinforce his brain's autopilot mode for the continued use of the hand brake, or was there such a deep seated autopilot reaction of reaching for the hand brake that giving up a hand brake was impossible?"

As I see it, the issue of a handbrake is not an issue of what is needed to stop the the Spyder most quickly and safely, but rather an issue of reprogramming our brains. Reprogramming sometimes can be very hard.

To learn more about how our brains operate in autopilot mode watch the series "Hacking Your Mind" on PBS. Three of the four episodes can be streamed. The fourth one airs Wed, 9/30.

Of course, no way do I question the advisability or necessity of a hand brake for those with physical limitations. After all, cars can be fitted with hand brakes if needed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I just returned from a romp on back roads around Mount Hood. Having recently acquired the skills and the nerve to push 'er on twisties, I did! It was a beautiful, clear, 70* day. There were times when I had to brake hard at speeds around 60 mph and the ABS would activate. Is this normal?
    The ABS activates only when a tire starts spinning free like on water, ice, or loose sand. What you probably experienced is Nanny setting the brake because you exceeded the parameters of steering torque, yaw, and speed that the computer uses to automatically slow you down when there is a risk of leaning too hard or breaking tire traction. I've heard my front wheels squawk on a hard corner but I don't know if it was the tire sliding sideways or Nanny hitting the brake really hard on the outside tire.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I've been riding for almost five decades and it took me about 500 miles to get used to single pedal brake system. After that everything is ok, depends on the day I go to my garage and pick either the RTL or the CB1100 to ride. No problem whatsoever. Just like going from your car to you bike, take few seconds to adapt. BTW, I switch my two bicycles to have front brake on the right lever, opposite to standard bicycle setup.
    "Old Farts". I'm proud to be one.
    Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

As I remember, the early years of the GL1800 had ABS as an option. My 2005 had it. But the interconnection between the front and rear brakes was the same whether or not the bike had ABS.

Most riders make the change successfully from foot + handlebar to foot only in due time. After all, almost all of us have no problem with a foot brake only in our cars and trucks. So why should it be different with a Spyder? Beats me. If adding touring foot rests creates a situation where one has a real delay in moving from the foot rest to the brake pedal, then I will agree a handlebar brake would be good. In my experience and understanding I don't see how having a hand brake would improve the braking operation of the Spyder. The brakes are not only ABS equipped, but the brake computer distributes the braking force among all three wheels for the best stability of the bike. The computer applies more braking to the front wheels, because like you've said, that's where it's needed. In case you aren't aware the VSS (or Nanny) will automatically operate the brakes if you get into a situation of going around a curve too fast.

When I read Nexus' post above the question that came to my mind is, "Did repeatedly installing a hand brake on each new Spyder inadvertently reinforce his brain's autopilot mode for the continued use of the hand brake, or was there such a deep seated autopilot reaction of reaching for the hand brake that giving up a hand brake was impossible?"

As I see it, the issue of a handbrake is not an issue of what is needed to stop the the Spyder most quickly and safely, but rather an issue of reprogramming our brains. Reprogramming sometimes can be very hard.

To learn more about how our brains operate in autopilot mode watch the series "Hacking Your Mind" on PBS. Three of the four episodes can be streamed. The fourth one airs Wed, 9/30.

Of course, no way do I question the advisability or necessity of a hand brake for those with physical limitations. After all, cars can be fitted with hand brakes if needed.

IdahoMtnSpyder,
    Thank you for pointing that out. Did I reinforce the need for a handbrake by putting it on each Spyder? You could call that habitual.
    That need for the handbrake whether it's was ABS or front brakes doesn't matter didn't become apparent to me until after I put highway pegs
    on my first Spyder in 2008. Now when I ride my car, truck, etc. my feet are not on the dash or out the window there close to the pedal.

So my throttle and my handbrake are microseconds apart. To bring my foot back from the highway peg to the brake pedal took more time.
    So not only did it stop faster because of the position of the handbrake, but it also kicked out the cruise control.

I ride a lot at night also early in the mornings in rural areas where the deer population has exploded. Especially now that hunting season has begun
    there are more skittish than any other time of year. I can tell you that many times that handbrake where it was kept me from having a deer strike.

deer.jpg

Now on the 2020 RTL. I don't have highway pegs. The floorboards are massive and the brake pedal is in a really good position so much better than my 14.
    So you're half right. I didn't really need it on the 2020 RTL so could I use some reprogramming but I also miss my handbrake.
    To each their own.

Nexus

Spyder Garage

It's really simple to me; My 2020RT would be better if it had a brake on the bars, just like my Can-Am ATV.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    It's really simple to me; My 2020RT would be better if it had a brake on the bars, just like my Can-Am ATV.
    In what ways would it be better? Because that is what you are accustomed to, or do you see some braking action that would be improved over what the computer does? Or would the handbrake give you extra riding comfort even though all it does is actuate the master cylinder just as the foot brake does? In other words do you want the handbrake because of personal preference or because of technical improvement? You can be sure economics played into BRP's decision to not include it. If 99 out of 100 riders get along without it, and if it cost even only $200 per machine to include it, that ends up effectively costing $19,800 for each rider who really needs/wants it. For those who really want the handbrake there are ways to have it, without adding cost to everyone else's machine for something they easily live without.

Keep in mind the separate front and rear brakes on an ATV are there to give you more control as you are going up and down hills and over rocks, which of course you don't do with the Spyder. Side x sides don't have handbrakes, other than for parking, do they? If they are so valuable for braking control why don't SxS's have them?

We all want something different on our Spyders that BRP doesn't include, but BRP configures the machines to satisfy the vast majority of buyers. Differing desires is why the accessories market thrives.

I'm not in the least bit denigrating your desire for a handbrake. I just want to help you understand why they are not part of the Spyder, as I see it. As is so often said, "To each his own!"

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

In what ways would it be better? Because that is what you are accustomed to, or do you see some braking action that would be improved over what the computer does? Or would the handbrake give you extra riding comfort even though all it does is actuate the master cylinder just as the foot brake does? In other words do you want the handbrake because of personal preference or because of technical improvement? You can be sure economics played into BRP's decision to not include it. If 99 out of 100 riders get along without it, and if it cost even only $200 per machine to include it, that ends up effectively costing $19,800 for each rider who really needs/wants it. For those who really want the handbrake there are ways to have it, without adding cost to everyone else's machine for something they easily live without.

Keep in mind the separate front and rear brakes on an ATV are there to give you more control as you are going up and down hills and over rocks, which of course you don't do with the Spyder. Side x sides don't have handbrakes, other than for parking, do they? If they are so valuable for braking control why don't SxS's have them?

We all want something different on our Spyders that BRP doesn't include, but BRP configures the machines to satisfy the vast majority of buyers. Differing desires is why the accessories market thrives.

I'm not in the least bit denigrating your desire for a handbrake. I just want to help you understand why they are not part of the Spyder, as I see it. As is so often said, "To each his own!"
    Like I said, "simple". We wouldn't be having this discussion over-and-over if it were there. One less point to criticize is 'better' in my book. Pleasing more people is 'better' in my book. Accommodating those with disabilities is 'better' in my book. I'm fine with the foot brake -- others aren't. I wouldn't be fine with the foot brake without ABS. 'Better' doesn't make it a necessity, just 'better'.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure Honda would agree with you. Both the foot brake and handlebar brake on the Goldwing actuate caliper pistons on both wheels.
    I’ve never owned a Goldwing. Sounds like an ABS system.
    As I recall, the Goldwing has three-piston calipers, front and rear. When the front brake lever is applied, pressure is sent to the outer pistons on each front disk and the inner piston on the rear disk, for a total of 5 pistons (four of them are on the front wheel). When the rear brake pedal is applied, pressure is sent to the inner pistons on the front disks and the two outer pistons on the rear disk, for a total of 4 pistons. Their reasoning was that, no matter which way you applied the brakes, you got stopping power on both wheels.

In what ways would it be better?
    Not sure about anyone else, but I stated my reason back in post #18:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Although the stopping power on a Spyder is simply INCREDIBLE, the time I miss a hand lever the most is when my right foot is planted firmly on the floorboard in a left turn and something appears that begs for a bit less forward momentum.
    One way to do that would be to borrow the concept from Honda. Replace the two-piston front calipers with three-piston calipers. Feed the center pistons with the front hand brake. It would not reduce what is available at the pedal, but would provide at least <some> slow-down power with the hand brake.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

i HAVE ONE. Do not waste your time - or your money. It really does not function all that well.

Spyder Garage

I've read all these comments and made some myself.
    In my opinion, here's the bottom line.
    The Spyder is what the Spyder is.
    Get used to it.
    If it's not what you like, get another vehicle.
    It's like flying a 747 Jumbo Jet and complaining that it's not a P51 Mustang.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I'm one of those who want a hand brake. It's not programming, it's geometry and ergonomics. With the footpegs in a position that's comfortable, I have to move my foot to get it on the brake, and I have to flex my ankle more than it's comfortable in order to fully depress the pedal. I just can't stomach the price that ISCI wants for theirs.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black