Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP COnnect questions

Can anyone throw some light on the BRP Connect app in general? I have it installed on my phone, and I *think* I want to use Genius maps, and maybe a few other apps, but I wanted to reach out first for general impressions and advice.
    I have been to brpconnecttutorial.com .. but didn't seem to satisfy me.
    We currently have Sena headsets that we pair to our (separate) phones, and listen to music, nav instructions, and each other.
    So, in a nutshell, how does this all work together? or doesn't it??

Is there better info around other then that site, and a few YouTube videos .. or is it really just that easy?

THanks for the advice ... I hate to get invoved, get pulled down a rabbit hole .. only to find I've been wasting my time.

Mike
    2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My experience with BRP Connect, and YMMV, is that is essentially unusable in its current form. Bluetooth connection to either phone or helmet may, or may not reconnect. Music controls may, or may not respond. Interface is badly non intuitive. Screen size is too small for effective navigation, and nav interface is clumsy.

I’ve abandoned BRP Connect until/unless significant upgrades are brought to usability. My phone is linked to my headset, which gives me playlists and turn by turn directions from nav apps on my phone. FM radio, if I want, is available on speakers, and the aux port is available if necessary.

The BRP Connect concept is interesting, but the execution is abysmal.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    The BRP Connect concept is interesting, but the execution is abysmal.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Yeah ... we will see I suppose. I am hoping to avoid putting my Ram Mount on this bike and using Waze or HD Planner....
    Might not go that way.

Thanks

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been using BRP connect for the last 4,000 miles I put on my 2020RT Limited.
    There are some issues with it, but I have not had near as many as what has been discussed here.
    Accuweather will not work with it, if you have FOBO 2, it will not work with it.
    I use Sygic maps and I have found it pretty good. We were on a road in Virginia that had many 10 MPGH corners that were not marked. The GPS displayed the speed of the upcoming corners warning me in advance, I thought is was quite nice.

There is a learning curve to it, but the link with he 2 sena 20s, the phone, and BRP connect I find works very well. All phone calls come through perfectly, music and intercom works great, GPS come across on headset or speakers if playing the music on them.
    Switching between BRP connect and the other features of the display is just a push of the BRP connect button.
    I stream Sirius XM through the Bluetooth connection, and then the music loaded onto my phone through BRP connect music.
    The old FOBO works great on the display
    Make sure you unlock your phone, pick a music player you want for BRP connect, then turn the volume on your phone up to the max to get the best volume in your headset or speakers.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I have been using BRP connect for the last 4,000 miles I put on my 2020RT Limited.
    There are some issues with it, but I have not had near as many as what has been discussed here.
    <SNIP ... >
    This is what I hope to achieve....
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

If you want to see your BRP compatible apps on the Spyder screen. Then you have to have the BRP Connect app on your phone and your phone plugged into the usb data port on your Spyder. I tried that and it was not for me. For many reasons. My phone is not easily available for other things and I want to use other apps that are not BRP compatible. So what I have done is mounted the phone on the handlebars. Installed a usb power plug to charge the phone when needed. Do not use the Spyder data usb port. That way you don't need the BRP connect app, on your phone, at all. The phone is BT paired with the Spyder dash. My Sena headset is BT paired to the dash. If, like in your case there is a passenger. Their headset is paired to the dash in BT mode and the headsets are paired to each other in communicator mode. I use Waze for navigation or Google maps Drive if I have spotty cell service. Using the phone screen. For music I use Google music player or the Sirius XM app. Audio will use the Spyders speakers or headset depending on settings. Audio info will be displayed on the right side of the Spyder screen. All the telephony functions work through your Spyder screen. You control it through the left handlebar controls. The driver headset is used for the call. With the info about the caller and such on the right side of the screen. That all works very well.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have used BRP connect with Genius maps and it worked OK for me. Phone plugged in to USB. Phone will not be answering calls, but when I am riding I don't answer calls anyway. I set up the destination on my phone in advance and navigate to the location in Genius map on the dash, and start the app through connect. It then displays turn by turn directions on the dash screen. I also have Rever, but for some reason it does not record distance and time when tracking a ride when the app in the dash is open. Display just sits at zero distance and zero time after pressing Record button. Have to play with that some more. My Bluetooth connection has been fine.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    I also have Rever, but for some reason it does not record distance and time when tracking a ride when the app in the dash is open. Display just sits at zero distance and zero time after pressing Record button. Have to play with that some more. My Bluetooth connection has been fine.
    Rever broke on the last update. They're aware and are working to fix it.

If you start recording your ride on your phone instead of the dash, it still works.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

kissfan, thanks for the info. It works fine on my phone, except that the miles traveled is sometimes way off.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Can someone tell me the latest Firmware version? I have a 2018 that I took for service today and was told there were no updates. Mine is still running the 13.2. I told them several times that could not be the case but that got me nowhere. Is there any way that I can do the updates myself? Thanks for the help

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Mark View Post
    Can someone tell me the latest Firmware version? I have a 2018 that I took for service today and was told there were no updates. Mine is still running the 13.2. I told them several times that could not be the case but that got me nowhere. Is there any way that I can do the updates myself? Thanks for the help
    20.8 and you have to have BUDS to update the firmware.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL. I've tried Genius Maps, and Sygic, and I also have the Garmin GPS. The Sygic will not work unless you were already a subscriber or do a hack job work around to install the Sygic Car Navigation app. They stopped taking new users. I found out after I paid for the app. The Garmin is ok for finding some place, but the Garmin Base Camp App for route planning is horrible. The Genius Maps is taking a huge learning curve, but I think it is the best of the three. Also, depending on your phone, you may have volume issues hearing the directions from the app. I agree with others that BRP Connect leaves a lot to be desired. I've gotten Accuweather to show up, but it only gives me current weather conditions. Riding on an open bike, I'm usually able to figure out all by myself that it might be raining! Not much help. I'm trying to have patience and hope that BRP Connect will be improved. I would really rather see Android Auto on my bike.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Jetfixer, how did you get Accuweather to show up?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2020 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Fixed dodgy quote display. ;-)

Current 2021 RTL Chrome Chalk / Previous Spyder - 2010 RTS-Premier Edition #115 Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Mark View Post
    So during the service. They did not plug into BUDS2 to see if there were any problems. Because if they had they would have seen a red lightning symbol beside the cluster. Indicating a mandatory update required.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have tried for over two years to make BRP Connect work. After waiting for FOBO ii for over a year and it's still not available. Accuweather was working but not there now and can't install it again. Rever worked but doesn't due tor Rever update but BRP C isn't. Cardo app requires direct headset connection and you don't get that using the bike's system. Early Sept 2020 Sygic Car Navigation is no longer available as they've changed to Sygic GPS Navigation which doesn't work in BRP C. Those that have it might find it no longer supported.

Two rides recently using both Genius and Sygic and the screen locks up half way through the ride. I can still hear music but all I can do is switch the the main screen and even that is locked in announcement mode so no doing anything there either. Have to stop and turn the bike off to get it back.

I have removed the headset and phone pairing from the bike and now have the headset paired directly to the phone mounted to the dash. I got Sygic GPS navigation as it accepts voice controls along with voice controls for music and phone.

I have emailed BRP Care about the Sygic Car Nav no longer available and all they tell me is to have a dealer figure it out! What a joke!

FOBO ii - Nope
    Accuweather - Nope
    Rever - Nope
    Cardo - Nope
    Sygic for new owners - Nopes
    iPhone 14.0 update and screen locks up
    I give up!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

After speaking with Spyder Pops, Lamonster and BRP directly; I gave up on the idea of using the BRP connect except to play FM over the external (Built in) speakers. I Use my Garmin Zumo to BT directions, my phone calls, text messages, and Sirus XM via my phone. Then because of the unique need for a CB radio I have that BT via SENA all through my CARDO Bold Pack Headset(s). So far the system works great.
    Chaplain "Hardcase" Mike
    Mission M25; Run For The Wall
    We ride for those who Can't
    Never Forgotten

2020 RT Limited Dark
    Baja Ron
    Short Reach Bars
    Comfort Seat w/Back Rest
    Passenger Arm Rest
    Lamonster Cuff With Drink Holder
    Garmin Zumo XT With Mont
    Spyder Pops Lighting
    Emergency Strobes
    CB Radio

2020 RT LIMITED (Dark) , Caulk White

Spyder Garage

I have mine setup exactly like yours but with Packtalk communicators. For some reason the passenger disconnects after about a minute. Really frustrating because it works like a charm when you start up or in the garage. Got any ideas?
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rexvaughn View Post
    I have mine setup exactly like yours but with Packtalk communicators. For some reason the passenger disconnects after about a minute. Really frustrating because it works like a charm when you start up or in the garage. Got any ideas?
    What does the passenger disconnect from, the other communicator, the bike music, or the phone?

The first time I set mine up it was randomly disconnecting from the bike. I reset the communicators to factory settings to cleat out the old Bluetooth connections and started fresh. Have not had any problems with them dropping after that was done.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Just came back here to thank you all again. After three weeks and almost 750 miles, you're right ... the BRP app is crap, although I can get it to work it is spotty ... and when a call comes in it gets all confused. my new goal is as billybovine said above, so I need to install a USB charging port and not use the data cable.
    Any hints on doing that?

It's almost unbelievable that with apps like Apple Car Play and Android Auto they still insist on the BRP thing....

Thanks again
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

Spyder Garage

Addendum -- if you're on Facebook, here's the BRP Connect group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2125926714370274
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    my new goal is as billybovine said above, so I need to install a USB charging port and not use the data cable.
    Any hints on doing that?
    According to your signature, it looks like you've got a 2021 RT. This is pretty easy. You can route a USB cable under the dash from the handlebars to the glove box. Lamonster said in his video that he used a big/long zip tie to feed the USB cable through. I was able to do it w/o the zip tie but I have fairly small hands. If you look in the bottom of your glove box, you'll see 2 holes/ports. The one on the left has the factory USB and 3.5mm cables through it. The one on the right has a rubber plug. Pull the glove box out and pop the right side plug out. You can easily feed the USB cable through that hole.

Now, you've got a USB connection from your bars to the glovebox. Want to use BuRP Connect? Plug the new USB cable into the stock USB cable. Don't want to use BuRP Connect (and not many do), buy THIS https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . It's a data blocker. It will give you power to charge your phone but will NOT allow data through meaning you won't connect to BuRP Connect and you're phone won't lock up. I've used a data blocker (that particular link) for about 6 months. It works perfectly.

I happen to have one of Lamonsters USB extension cables but any USB cable will work. His just looks better and stays out of the way when it's not in use.

Spyder Garage

Alright!! This is cool.... Thanks!
    Data blocker ... yeah. Heh, who knew??!! Sweet!
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

Spyder Garage

The app from Bosch, which is based BRP goes ok in a lot of vehicles and more than 50 apps.
    http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_apps.html
    http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_2w.html
    I don't unsderstand why Brp Connect doesn't go fine and only 3 apps. :-(
    Somebody has tried to connect to BRP Connect with MySpyne on the Android or apple mobile?
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only slightly off the subject, thanks to Mr. bovine, I tried connecting my phone to the bike via BT ONLY (no BuRP Connect). I can play my XM app (and see the channel but can't use the bike controls to change same) and I can play the tunes on my phone. I can see what tunes are playing AND I can advance the track (and control the volume) via the bike controls. I've got a FOBO 2 coming next week that I was hoping to see on the bike screen but it doesn't look like it. (I'm not even sure the sensors will fit on the valve stems but that's a different thread.)