full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding in western Virginia

As RVers, we often pick our destinations by looking at a state map and look for areas where the roads DON'T run straight. We currently are a small town called Big Stone Gap, VA. At the risk of sounding like a regional tourist bureau, you can't believe this place. The weather has been good up to now (rain today), the roads are in excellent shape overall and the riding is just constant left, right up,down. I have been riding for many years and this is as good as I have ever experienced it. With a little hunting, there is lots of history of the coal industry to see and several regional museums near. Tomorrow we are going to a regional history museum here in town.
    We have been averaging rides of 60 to 90 miles on each of our rides and that makes a great day and home by 3. As I have that beautiful 998 engine, I have been riding these roads in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. That engine is just perfect for this kind of riding.
    If any of you are looking for a riding destination for this fall or next year that will give your arms a workout, come down to southwest Virginia. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Spyder Garage

We have a trip planned for Oct 11-14 in that area. We are going to do the loop known as The Claw of the Dragon.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    We have a trip planned for Oct 11-14 in that area. We are going to do the loop known as The Claw of the Dragon.
    I have seen that on a map we have. That is a bit of a stretch for us to get to that ride as Tazwell where it starts is about 90 miles East from where we are. But if you have time, just pick any road that looks like a rural byway and hang on.
    Stay safe and have fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went off topic.
    Last edited by MONK; 09-28-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Went off topic

Spyder Garage

I stayed in Clintwood for a week and rode all the roads in SW VA and a few in west Kentucky.This is a great area for twisty mountain riding with fairly good road surfaces.Freeman maps.com has some good paper maps that he will send you for free(shipping 1$ each)and quickly.Only problem is you may have to look around a bit for good food but its there.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE