Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Starting Changed?

So,I have notice that my 2016 RT-L starts right up as soon as I hit the the button on the left bar. No delay while Spyder check itself out. Had it in for a new tire earlier this month. I guess they also updated some programming? Cool!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Any one else know of a update on this????
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Nope. But on my '14 I don't have to wait - as soon as the display lights up I can hit the Mode Button then start it up. It'll finish initializing while I'm getting my helmet on.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Nope. But on my '14 I don't have to wait - as soon as the display lights up I can hit the Mode Button then start it up. It'll finish initializing while I'm getting my helmet on.
    Wish mine would!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Wish mine would!!
    No waiting at all with the " flash" And more HP to boot.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Old Motors (998s) - you had to wait for the dash to fully boot before you could press the mode button and start it.
    New Motors (1330s) - you can press mode as soon as the screen starts booting (after DESS clears the key) and start the bike.

If you send your ECU to Monster or Wick-It for a Flash - they can set it so you don't have to hit Mode at all to start it - and you get more HP out of the Flash.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Comment deleted. It was plumb wrong! I'll have to check again later but it looks like for the 2014 RT you can hit Mode, then Start, as soon as you see Can Am on the display. I thought you could not.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-24-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Bad info!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Comment deleted. It was plumb wrong! I'll have to check again later but it looks like for the 2014 RT you can hit Mode, then Start, as soon as you see Can Am on the display. I thought you could not.
    It doesn’t work on my ‘14. I have to wait. I just tried it again yesterday, but I have NOT had it in the dealers shop this year.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    It doesn’t work on my ‘14. I have to wait. I just tried it again yesterday, but I have NOT had it in the dealers shop this year.
    I just tried it again. You are correct. If you restart the bike within an undetermined time span of a few minutes after shutting it down, you can push Mode, then start, as soon as Can Am shows. This has been discussed before. But after the "free start" period you must wait.

The change was made sometime in 2015 or 2016. So Jdr00ejr's comment above is incorrect. The feature is not available on all 1330 engines, which is what I wrote in the comment I deleted.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I just tried it again. You are correct. If you restart the bike within an undetermined time span of a few minutes after shutting it down, you can push Mode, then start, as soon as Can Am shows. This has been discussed before. But after the "free start" period you must wait.

The change was made sometime in 2015 or 2016. So Jdr00ejr's comment above is incorrect. The feature is not available on all 1330 engines, which is what I wrote in the comment I deleted.
    Yes mine will do that, if I stop and grab a coffee and come right back out it will start up with out having to wait! After a set time it makes you wait to boot!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hmm, that's not what happens on my '14 - as soon as Can-Am shows up, I hit mode and start and off it goes. This is first start in the morning.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Hmm, that's not what happens on my '14 - as soon as Can-Am shows up, I hit mode and start and off it goes. This is first start in the morning.
    Interesting. Have you had your ECM updated by the dealer or otherwise flashed? If not, what time in 2014 was your Spyder built? Mine was an early production model so I wonder if the change was made sometime during 2014.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have found over the years with my 14 RT ..... If I shut it off for less than 12 minutes .... turn key to run and hit the start button ( leave Mode button alone ) it will start .... tryit , I'll bet yours starts also ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mine does the same thing, I have the same year ( 2014).
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep I can fill the tank with gas at times and when restarting I do not have to press the left button , it goes right to the MPH screen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have found over the years with my 14 RT ..... If I shut it off for less than 12 minutes .... turn key to run and hit the start button ( leave Mode button alone ) it will start .... tryit , I'll bet yours starts also ..... Mike
    I think this is the first time anyone has offered a number of how long the "free start" period lasts. I knew it was upwards of 5 minutes but have never bothered to actually time it.

It's interesting that Wahrsuul and Deanna report they don't have to wait, ever, even when the bike has been shut down overnight. I don't find any reports of this in 2014 and 2015 posts although some, including myself, did see the startup screen get bypassed on rare occasion.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Idaho, I’ve found with mine, 2014 RTS, that the engine has to be up to operating temperature before the whole startup procedure can be bypassed, and this would also sort of conform to Blueknight’s 12 minute finding.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I think this is the first time anyone has offered a number of how long the "free start" period lasts. I knew it was upwards of 5 minutes but have never bothered to actually time it.

It's interesting that Wahrsuul and Deanna report they don't have to wait, ever, even when the bike has been shut down overnight. I don't find any reports of this in 2014 and 2015 posts although some, including myself, did see the startup screen get bypassed on rare occasion.
    I know they said they " don't have to wait " ..... but this is AFTER the display lights up. This is the same as mine ( and everyone else's ) .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I M S ..... 12 minutes is really my estimate ..... based on shut-off at the pump , and then fueling and going into the rest-room..... it may only be 10 minutes ...... but it's way more than 5 ...... jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 14 I can shut it off, then hit the ECO/MOD button and the radio will continue to play. I can continue to listen to the radio through my Sena helmet speakers when I fuel up or go into the post office. When I get back there's no wait time for startup. However, the start screen goes into a rainbow mod for a couple of seconds.

Spyder Garage

This is weird it seems we all have a different set up, or procedure!! What I do know is they could do away with it in my book, it's one of those things that piss you off that you wish you could fix! It's like I just got a new Silverado 1500, it had the auto stop feature, that stops the engine when you come to a stop in the street!! I had a switch on the dash that I could hit EVERY time I started the truck that would shut that feature off, but when I shut it off and start it back up it would reset After about a week of that, I went online a found a company that made a fix for my problem, now I command when the darn things on or off!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Since I got mine used a little over a year ago, I can't say if the ECM is upgraded or not. I know the gauge cluster was swapped out before I got it. It hasn't been to the dealer since I bought it. I'd have to look to see what time it was built.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know most of the discussion here after the first poster has been about '14s and '15s, but I'll offer that our '17 RT-S, which was assembled in May 2016 (yep, serial #55 ) does not force a long wait to start. Turn the key ON, find the MODE button, press it, press the starter. I think I remember reading in the manual that if you start the bike within five minutes of turning it off, you do not need to do that, I have not yet verified. One owner before us, he assured us it was all bone-stock, no modifications. Not sure about dealer-instigated BUDS updates, though.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G