Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet has hotspots.....massaging the EPS?

I have an HJC RPHA 90 modular helmet that I bought back in the spring. I've only worn it a couple times because I get hotspots on my forehead. I paid close to $500 for the lid so I'd lose a ton of money if I tried to sell it and buy something else. I thought about massaging the EPS. I've heard of others doing this with a soup can but I'm not sure if that's the best way or if there are any techniques others have found.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(P.S. Please spare me the public service announcements about how this will compromise the safety and integrity of the lid. I'm looking for a couple mm's, not an inch.)

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

I've heard that a billiard ball could work OK. It's smooth, round, solid and easy enough to maneuver around the EPS. I have to track one down to try in the temple area of one of my helmets.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E1OD01G...v_ov_lig_dp_it

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Not that I'm recommending it or even making any sort of 'public service announcement', but surely it'd be better to 'ease' the hot spots by skimming & removing juust a little bit of the excess EPS in those areas with a dremel or similar, maybe even just giving it a go over with sandpaper?? That way, all the EPS that's left in those areas will still retain its original protective ability, lessened only by the tiny fraction due to the lesser depth; instead of compressing the whole depth of the EPS in those areas, cos you can't/won't be just compressing the top 1 or 2 millimetres of surface layer of EPS - due to its very nature you'll undoubtedly be compressing the entire depth of material and so losing a much larger percentage of compressibility in the material for its entire depth!!

After all, it's the compressibility that provides you with the impact protection, and if, as we are all warned about these types of helmets, simply dropping or knocking the helmet hard enough is able to reduce the protection it provides by compressing/collapsing the EPS, then having juust a millimetre or two less but still the same compression rate for all that remains has surely got to be better than having less compression rate for the entire depth & therefore less protection for the entire thickness of the EPS over what is likely to be your most vulnerable spots?!

And I know that many 'professional race helmets' have been/are given their 'final tuning' of their custom fitting by carefully shaving out very thin slivers of EPS rather than compressing it to ease the hot spots, so I'd guess there's a pretty good reason for doing it that way?!

Just sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I use a large spoon from wife's kitchen to massage my HJC helmets in the forehead location. I like HJC, but recently switched to Shoei when I found one that fits my head perfectly. All heads are not created equally.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good suggestions, all. I appreciate it.

Navydad---I have a Shoei J-Cruise (v1) that I LOVE. It fits almost perfectly however since it's a 3/4 lid, it's noisy and since I ride year round, not perfect for cooler weather. I seriously considered selling the HJC and buying a new Shoei Neotech 2 but it's $700, the proprietary com system is another $300 and the HJC is paid for.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not that I'm recommending it or even making any sort of 'public service announcement', but surely it'd be better to 'ease' the hot spots by skimming & removing juust a little bit of the excess EPS in those areas with a dremel or similar, maybe even just giving it a go over with sandpaper?? That way, all the EPS that's left in those areas will still retain its original protective ability, lessened only by the tiny fraction due to the lesser depth; instead of compressing the whole depth of the EPS in those areas, cos you can't/won't be just compressing the top 1 or 2 millimetres of surface layer of EPS - due to its very nature you'll undoubtedly be compressing the entire depth of material and so losing a much larger percentage of compressibility in the material for its entire depth!!

After all, it's the compressibility that provides you with the impact protection, and if, as we are all warned about these types of helmets, simply dropping or knocking the helmet hard enough is able to reduce the protection it provides by compressing/collapsing the EPS, then having juust a millimetre or two less but still the same compression rate for all that remains has surely got to be better than having less compression rate for the entire depth & therefore less protection for the entire thickness of the EPS over what is likely to be your most vulnerable spots?!

And I know that many 'professional race helmets' have been/are given their 'final tuning' of their custom fitting by carefully shaving out very thin slivers of EPS rather than compressing it to ease the hot spots, so I'd guess there's a pretty good reason for doing it that way?!

Just sayin'
    I did that method for some comm speaker pockets in a couple of helmets to get them a touch deeper. That EPS is MESSY and flies everywhere

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    ..... That EPS is MESSY and flies everywhere
    It sure is, isn't it!! But then, that's what electro-static mats & vacuum cleaners are for.

Besides, I reckon it's better dealing with that EPS mess now than dealing with the alternative mess if compressing the EPS means it doesn't work as it should when it should!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Dremel tool????

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Just sayin'
    I've done this a few helmets to make them fit MUCH better. Not loose , just a better fit. I also aliened the top vent holes in my current helmet as VERY poorly aliened. Works much better now. Yes messy, but easily cleaned up with air pressure.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I used a ball peen hammer. Worked well.
    I have an oval head and bought LS2 for 75.00 works well.

Get this the cheaper helmet has a shatterproof shield the HJC doesn't Imagine that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Good suggestions, all. I appreciate it.

Navydad---I have a Shoei J-Cruise (v1) that I LOVE. It fits almost perfectly however since it's a 3/4 lid, it's noisy and since I ride year round, not perfect for cooler weather. I seriously considered selling the HJC and buying a new Shoei Neotech 2 but it's $700, the proprietary com system is another $300 and the HJC is paid for.

HAGO!
    Shoei GT-Air full face. A bit tight going on or off, but all day comfortable.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Shoei GT-Air full face. A bit tight going on or off, but all day comfortable.
    I'm claustrophobic so I don't do full face helmets. Good suggestion, though.

Spyder Garage

Our last pair of helmets were on the tight side. Bell/Sena 10. Prior to use, we wore them for a couple hours per night while watching TV. Three or four days and they fit just right for normal use.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red