Spyder Garage

Default newbie question on cornering

2020 RT limited. I have been riding two wheels since I was 14 and I am almost 70. I get that most of the two wheel experience means nothing on a Spyder. When I go into a sharp on a long hard corner the outside wheel seems to lift. So if I am making a hard right corner I lean into the corner and it seems like the left side front wheel lifts. I understand that the rig has two front tires both with A arms and individual shocks. I realize that some of what I am feeling is the inside (right) shock compressing while the outside (left) shock is unweighting. I know all about A arms and sway bars etc. I had a sxs that delbt with all those issues. So I am getting a laser alignment and a baja ron's sway bar at the get together in Maggie to help. Is that feeling of unweighting on the outside natural and just something I need to get used to? Again I am a newbie with 300 miles on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Way too much technical analysis for me. Ride it till you’re comfortable. Transition from 2 wh to 2-in-front 3 wh happens naturally over time. Depending on how much you ride takes up to a month

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may FEEL like the tire is lifting but unless you're screaming into a corner, I doubt it's actually lifting off the ground. If it did, it would only be momentary as the nanny would kick in. I came from 40 years of 2 wheels. It takes about 1000 miles to really start feeling comfortable on a Spyder.

To get the best feeling in a corner, do this. Push your inside knee firmly against the tank. Push down HARD with your outside foot on the floorboard. Lean into the curve. The bike doesn't lean so you have to. Also, unlike a 2 wheeler, you steer into the curve. No countersteering.

Again, give it 1000 miles or so and you'll feel comfortable. You'll find that those 30 mph curves you'd take at 35 on a 2 wheeler start to feel comfortable at 45 or 50.

Spyder Garage

Doc, if it feels like the OUTSIDE tire is trying to lift in a hard corner carry that thing and have an exorcism performed.

I think I understand what you are saying, it's just a very weird feeling compared to what you are used to. Actually the outside tire is having the weight transferred over onto it and the inside tire is the one feeling like it's coming off the pavement. It does take some getting used too, give it time and miles. To a certain extent a sway bar will help since it keeps the front end flatter thus keeping more weight on the inside tire.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I also come from 50 years on 2 wheels as did many of us and we have all gone thru a similar learning curve. What you are feeling is normal and in a few miles it will begin to feel more natural. One thing that helped me in the beginning was to steer it like a 4 wheeler atv. Some say pull with you inside arm,others say push with your outside arm. I have found for me pushing with outside arm elbow locked AND pulling with the inside arm works best. Plant your outside foot and push down. After a 1000 miles or so depending on how much you ride it becomes easier and more natural. The additions you are proposing will make your Spyder more enjoyable and allow you to ride harder if you choose. Ride a lttle slower for now as you learn but ride far and often. The more you practice the quicker and easier you learn. I started at 69 and am now 74 so you can do it. Enjoy

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I agree with Monk in that you may FEEL like the outside tire is lifting but there is no way in the laws of physics that if you enter into a turn on a three wheel vehicle that the OUTSIDE front wheel is going to lift. Yes, if you enter a turn too fast and don't lean into the turn the inside wheel may start to lift but Nanny will catch you and save your bacon.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    2020 RT limited. I have been riding two wheels since I was 14 and I am almost 70. I get that most of the two wheel experience means nothing on a Spyder. When I go into a sharp on a long hard corner the outside wheel seems to lift. So if I am making a hard right corner I lean into the corner and it seems like the left side front wheel lifts. I understand that the rig has two front tires both with A arms and individual shocks. I realize that some of what I am feeling is the inside (right) shock compressing while the outside (left) shock is unweighting. I know all about A arms and sway bars etc. I had a sxs that delbt with all those issues. So I am getting a laser alignment and a baja ron's sway bar at the get together in Maggie to help. Is that feeling of unweighting on the outside natural and just something I need to get used to? Again I am a newbie with 300 miles on the Spyder.
    A little confusing here. But I can certainly connect with the issues that occur when going from 2 wheels to 3. Been there done that. This transition takes time. And the primary remedy is to RELAX! Every little movement that you transmit to your handlebars will cause an immediate reaction from your Spyder. Not so with 2 wheels. And this is where the drama begins. Relax and isolate your body movements from your handlebars and things will get better in a hurry. Loose grip, relaxed arms and wrists. And you're on the right path.

Where my confusion sets in is with your description of how your Spyder reacts in turns.

"When I go into a sharp on a long hard corner the outside wheel seems to lift." - Actually, it is the Inside Tire that is trying to lift.
    "So if I am making a hard right corner I lean into the corner and it seems like the left side front wheel lifts." On a Right Hand Turn, it will be the Right Hand Wheel which is 'Lifting' or getting lighter.

It is true that in a right hand turn, the left side suspension will collapse which causes the left side tire to 'Rise' in the sense that it moves higher in relationship to the body of the Spyder. On a car, it causes the tire to go higher into the wheel well. But certainly no chance of it lifting off the ground.

"I realize that some of what I am feeling is the inside (right) shock compressing while the outside (left) shock is unweighting." - Actually, the exact opposite is taking place. In a right hand turn, the right side suspension is 'Un-Weighted' while the left side is compressed.

With only 300 miles on your Sypder, you're don't well. More miles will help a lot. As will the Laser Alignment and the sway bar install. Hang in there. It only gets better from here!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

68 years on 2 wheels. Got Spyder. Friend sez, "It will take 1,000 miles before you feel comfortable." He was right. Then friend sez, "It will take 2,000 miles before you are in control." He was right.
    Even Bajaron told me to keep my bike stock until that latter point, so as I add improvements, I will know what they do. He was right. At 4,000 miles, I replaced the front tires with car tires - WOW what an improvement. Now I'm going to ride maybe another 1,000 miles before I install Ron's sway bar.
    I suggest you do the same. Be patient as you climb the learning curve - it will pay dividends.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

thanks to all. Went for a long ride today on hwy 28 which leads to the tail of the dragon. I didn't do the dragon lol. I did however start to get the feel of the inside knee on the tank and push with the outside foot/leg. A world of difference. The only problem I had is my left knee is bone on bone and no cartilage. Having a total knee replacement done next month. So to push with that leg is a bit dicey lol. I so appreciate all of your input. Thanks again.
    "Doc" McCoy Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (SARC) (ret)

Spyder Garage

Many here preach pressing knees against the tank, but my legs don't bend that way. With time, I learned to charge the curves w/o the knee thing.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    thanks to all. Went for a long ride today on hwy 28 which leads to the tail of the dragon. I didn't do the dragon lol. I did however start to get the feel of the inside knee on the tank and push with the outside foot/leg. A world of difference. The only problem I had is my left knee is bone on bone and no cartilage. Having a total knee replacement done next month. So to push with that leg is a bit dicey lol. I so appreciate all of your input. Thanks again.
    "Doc" McCoy Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (SARC) (ret)
    The big thing Doc is miles under your butt, it will come in time trust me!! I know what your saying about your knee, just got my left knee done this summer, did my right last year same time of year, next year look out, going to make up for lost mileage on the bike!! Go do that tail ride at your happy speed, then turn around and do it the other way, don't let those yahoo's push you out of your comfort zone, just pull over let them by, you may see them piled up down the road, It happens!! good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl