Spyder Garage

Default Need the forums help, not sure what happened or what I should do.

It's been a very stressful few weeks at work and the best way to relax is take a ride on my Spyder. As I was crusin about 20-30 mph, I must have hit a pothole and bottomed out really bad. I thought for sure something was damaged because of how bad the rear bottomed out and how loud it was. After a brief check, every seem fine so I continued on my journey home. Once at home, I checked the rear tire, wheel and everything looked fine. (10PM)
    The next morning, I noticed some pink oilly fluid by the rear fender that had dripped onto my garage floor. After further inspection, it seemed like it was fluid from the rear shock. It was splattered everywhere underneath the rear shock assembly and under the seat. I went to wash my Spyder to get all of the oilly fluid cleaned up. I have inspected the shock and it still holds compression and seems fine but I suspect that my shock is damaged. What do the experts in the forum think?
    I have already looked at replacements for the rear and OMG are they expensive (600 -1100)
    What should I do?

Thanks Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

Certainly sounds like you've blown a shock!

Unless maybe you hit something that wasn't exactly a pot-hole?? I dunno, maybe you ran over someone else's auto trans that'd dropped outta their car & onto the road?? Did the fluid look/feel/smell/taste like auto trans fluid??

Regardless, & all joking aside; if you take your Spyder out for a ryde now (maybe a fairly gentle ryde) even if the shock only blew the seal & spat half it's oil charge out (rather than being fully & immediately stuffed & completely blown - hence how it's seemingly still working... and remembering that the coil spring actually carries the load/does th ee compression/rebound bit, the shock really only 'controls' that...) it won't take long before the shock 'goes off' and you'll either start feeling like you've got a bouncy rear end; or it'll start dragging the tire on the inside/top of the fender.... in either case, go straight back home, it's past time to replace the shock!!

Instead of forking out for an expensibve new/complete a/market coil-over shock assy, if you were sorta OK with the F3's ryde & handling before/on the stockmassy, you could just replace the blown shock with an OE replacement from BRP or maybe cheapcycleparts - they are sorta OK as is, altho possibly you could upgrade to the 2-up shock or maybe the next level up from BRP?? They might not be the ultimate, but they aren't usually too badly priced, altho they do generally just come as a naked shock; no rubber bushes, no coil spring, nothing - just the shock! So unless you pay more to get the whole shock/coil assy with bushes etc included, it'll probably take someone with a coil spring compressor & a modicum of 'handy spanner-spinning' skills to get down under the F3, remove the blown shock assy, dismantle it then fit the new/replacem ednt bits all together, & replace with the new assy.... but it's really not all that hard to do, just so long as you take your time & don't let the coil spring get loose without a stopper on it!!

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-21-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Certainly sounds like you've blown a shock!

Unless maybe you hit something that wasn't exactly a pot-hole?? I dunno, maybe you ran over someone else's auto trans that'd dropped outta their car & onto the road?? Did the fluid look/feel/smell/taste like auto trans fluid??

Regardless, & all joking aside; if you take your Spyder out for a ryde now (maybe a fairly gentle ryde) even if the shock only blew the seal & spat half it's oil charge out (rather than being fully & immediately stuffed & completely blown - hence how it's seemingly still working... and remembering that the coil spring actually carries the load/does th ee compression/rebound bit, the shock really only 'controls' that...) it won't take long before the shock 'goes off' and you'll either start feeling like you've got a bouncy rear end; or it'll start dragging the tire on the inside/top of the fender.... in either case, go straight back home, it's past time to replace the shock!!

Instead of forking out for an expensibve new/complete a/market coil-over shock assy, if you were sorta OK with the F3's ryde & handling before/on the stockmassy, you could just replace the blown shock with an OE replacement from BRP or maybe cheapcycleparts - they are sorta OK as is, altho possibly you could upgrade to the 2-up shock or maybe the next level up from BRP?? They might not be the ultimate, but they aren't usually too badly priced, altho they do generally just come as a naked shock; no rubber bushes, no coil spring, nothing - just the shock! So unless you pay more to get the whole shock/coil assy with bushes etc included, it'll probably take someone with a coil spring compressor & a modicum of 'handy spanner-spinning' skills to get down under the F3, remove the blown shock assy, dismantle it then fit the new/replacem ednt bits all together, & replace with the new assy.... but it's really not all that hard to do, just so long as you take your time & don't let the coil spring get loose without a stopper on it!!

Over to you!
    ..... option " B ", there are lots of members here who have purchased after-market rear shocks, and may still have the OEM's..... the shipping will not be cheap .... but you may be close enough to someone and pick it up directly ..... good luck .... Mike

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Shown on a GL1800 Gold Wing shock, this is an alternative to a spring compressor.

springjack.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I'm going out of town tomorrow and will return Sept.30th. I have a stock shock off a 2015 F3-S you pay shipping then it's out of my garage!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    I'm going out of town tomorrow and will return Sept.30th. I have a stock shock off a 2015 F3-S you pay shipping then it's out of my garage!
    Thanks for chiming annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the generous offer ..... maybe the OP will read this .......... Mike