Spyder Garage

Default oil check , confused

Checked the oil as recommended. Nothing on dip stick when first check. Did run engine for 3-5 min checked and oil on tip of dipstick.
    Did add 250 ml (1/4 qt) ran engine checked again and oil at full mark.
    Did take spyder on 1 hr ride came back and checked and its well over full mark!
    I assume running engine for few minutes like mentioned in manual is not sufficient?
    Any Thoughts?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

The year and model of your Spyder would help.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You did not share what year your Spyder is. I assume a ST since this is a ST forum. So I cannot comment on what your manual says. But every manual I have seen, for the 998 engine, says that he engine must be at normal operating temperature. 3 to 5 minutes is not going to do it. Not even close and even if the fans come on, that just means the coolant is up to temp but the engine oil may not be. Get into the habit of checking the oil at the end of a ride. When the engine is still hot. If the engine has not been running for a couple minutes after your ride. Idle for 30 seconds for the sumps to move the oil back into the tank. When checked correctly. If the oil is below the add line. Adding 500 ml (1/2 quart) of oil will bring it back to between the add and full.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I don't type fast enough, what Billy said.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, its 2014 ST. limited
    Makes sense. I guess will remove some.

Spyder Garage

Remember, per the instructions about checking the oil level that begin on pg 110 of your operator's guide stress that the engine must be at normal operating temperature. That means the oil temp must be at normal level; disregard what the temp gauge reads because that's measuring coolant temp, not engine oil. That's why most of us check the oil level, regardless of model, at the end of a ride when we know the engine is at correct temp. Checking it then and adding if necessary at that time leaves you one less thing to check before launching on your next ride.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. Just not use to it get very nervous when there is no oil on the dipstick. I know for next time.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

I have to admit, that took some getting used to when I bought my Spidy. After 35 years of wet sump engines that we did the opposite, I pretty well did your exact story until I got used to a wet sump engine.
    Last edited by fulltimer; 09-24-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: wrong word, I meant DRY sump.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    ... until I got used to a wet sump engine.
    Actually, the Spyder uses a DRY sump engine.

It's still a puzzling arrangement to me, as all other dry sump engines I have experienced did not let the reservoir drain back into the sump. Since the dipstick measures the oil level in the reservoir, you have to do it before too much drains back, hence the two-minute window for an oil check.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

When full, after lengthy run, how much oil does the reservoir hold?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully enough to raise the oil level to the proper location on the dipstick.

I am still new enough to Spyders that I don't know how many quarts would be in there, but my question has always been: why does ANY of it drain back to the sump? I have given up trying to figure out what the engineers were thinking and have just come to accept that it should be checked at the END of the ride, and probably not very often, as the 1330 engine is not known for consuming oil.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, there seems to be no consistency where the oil level will be after it sits for a while. I've checked it after an hour or two, and there's no oil
    visible on the dipstick, but I've checked it the next morning after sitting all night and the level is where it's supposed to be. It makes me wonder if
    the position of the lobes on the oil pump could figure into it. It shouldn't drain down, but it looks like the only thing keeping it from doing that is just
    the tolerances of the engine parts. But I'm not qualified to do other than just offer an opinion...and barely that.

Spyder Garage

I have to admit it's the flakiest set up I have ever owned, but once you have a set procedure it works I guess, the bad part of the 998's are that you know it's going to use oil and you know you have to check it on a regular basis, some thing I will not miss when I get a newer unit!! Don't tell the boss!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have to admit it's the flakiest set up I have ever owned, but once you have a set procedure it works...
    With both the V-twins and the 1330 triple, yes it's an unusual procedure and, from what I've head here on SL, the V-twin, excluding the throttle body replacement necessity on some and the leaking vacuum lines, is a quite reliable engine, just like the 1330 is proving to be. If one finds it such a problem to check the oil level following the instruction in the operator's guide after investing the considerable bucks we do on these machines, one should get rid of the Spyder, buy a BMW convertible and follow the idiot lights on the dash.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, I love this 998. I have accepted this ridiculous system of oil checking and pretty well know based on mileage how often it is going to want a little sip of oil. In balance I'm pretty satisfied with the engine.
    As long as I can get motor cycle specific oil at a reasonable price from Auto Zone, I'm a happy camper.