Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Some times I think people like to fish! You know sit on the bank with the pole in your hand, and dangle your bait out there and see what you can CATCH!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

While agreeing with the potential for fuel pump damage when attempting to determine your fuel capacity, this is almost as much fun as an oil thread.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

I wish the spyder had a mileage til reserve like my nissan quest. it recalculates how many miles til empty based on actual driving and fuel use.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know what you mean, but I'm comfort able just watching my remaining mileage until it gets hairy, top off/fillup when the number reaches 50.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    I wish the spyder had a mileage til reserve like my nissan quest. it recalculates how many miles til empty based on actual driving and fuel use.
    The 2020 rt limited does
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The most I put in was 6.1 gallons and 225 miles on my 2018 F3L. The fuel gauge bar turned red from orange then disappeared completely just before making it to a gas station. My owners manual says it has a 7.1 gallon tank. Some day when my tank is low and light is on. I may syphon the rest out to see what I get out. Measure it. Put it back in and go to gas station. I have one a block away from home. Then fill and see my total.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    The most I put in was 6.1 gallons and 225 miles on my 2018 F3L. The fuel gauge bar turned red from orange then disappeared completely just before making it to a gas station. My owners manual says it has a 7.1 gallon tank. Some day when my tank is low and light is on. I may syphon the rest out to see what I get out. Measure it. Put it back in and go to gas station. I have one a block away from home. Then fill and see my total.
    I would think you could fill it closer to the stated capacity since the filler is on the top instead of off to the side like it is on the RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    2020 rt limited.
    After getting the miles to empty displayed on the screen, Friday I ran until it said 33 miles to empty and just one very then red line on the gauge. about 1 mile later the red line disappeared and the miles to empty went blank. about 3 miles later I filled up and put in 5.6 gallons. I am currently getting 33.5 MPG average, so with the 1.5 gallons left in the tank, I had about a 50 mile cushion, so a 20 mile cushion on the 30 miles till empty the gauges said.

I like it. Vey seldom do I run it that low, but when it happens, it is nice to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    2020 rt limited.
    After getting the miles to empty displayed on the screen, Friday I ran until it said 33 miles to empty and just one very then red line on the gauge. about 1 mile later the red line disappeared and the miles to empty went blank. about 3 miles later I filled up and put in 5.6 gallons. I am currently getting 33.5 MPG average, so with the 1.5 gallons left in the tank, I had about a 50 mile cushion, so a 20 mile cushion on the 30 miles till empty the gauges said.

I like it. Vey seldom do I run it that low, but when it happens, it is nice to know.
    Actually, the gauge & 'miles until empty' was telling you that you MIGHT be lucky to have as much as 30 miles left until you start accumulating irreversible damage to the injector system/fuel pump!

The damage that undoubtedly will occur might be microscopic if you run much further than that just the once.... but there again?!?.... How lucky do you feel??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Actually, the gauge & 'miles until empty' was telling you that you MIGHT be lucky to have as much as 30 miles left until you start accumulating irreversible damage to the injector system/fuel pump!

The damage that undoubtedly will occur might be microscopic if you run much further than that just the once.... but there again?!?.... How lucky do you feel??
    As stated "Very seldom do I run that low" but if I am out in the middle of no where with 50 miles worth of fuel left in the tank and 40 miles to get to a station, I am not shutting the bike off and walking to get fuel!

Spyder Garage

This thread is interesting.

A technical question about quantity, but I do not know of anyone that really wants to push those kind of limits.

Get to know your bike, what mileage you can expect (safely) before needing to re-fuel, and go from there.

With my disability condition, I cannot walk 50 ft. without a wheelchair assist. If I were to break down or get stuck in the middle of nowhere, I am in a heap of trouble. I am not going to be deprived of my riding, so I just make it a point to start looking for gas at the half tank point. I need to get off the bike and stretch anyway.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    As stated "Very seldom do I run that low" but if I am out in the middle of no where with 50 miles worth of fuel left in the tank and 40 miles to get to a station, I am not shutting the bike off and walking to get fuel!

As is your choice, but if I were you, I'd be trying very hard NOT to get myself into that situation, even if it meant carrying a small container of 'just in case' fuel every now & then!

And I'm only saying this bit:

"... The damage that undoubtedly will occur might be microscopic if you run much further than that just the once.... but there again?!?.... How lucky do you feel?? "

because quite a few times now I've been called upon to help recover vehicles that DIDN'T make the 'only 40 miles' or whatever they had left to travel to the next gas stop; only they didn't quite make it due to terminal and expensive damage kicking in first! For some, it was the first time they'd ever run out of gas; for others, they'd run out before, but every time they did, they got less distance between 'Empty' and 'Dead'!!! Now admittedly, it's been only one Spyder - so far... but that was the very first time the owner (from new) had ever run his RT below 1/4 tank on the gauge, and he felt sure he was going to be fine, cos he'd done his sums & he knew how much gas was left in the tank!! And he was pretty right too - he was only 1/2 litre out, over his calculated remaining amount - so very close to his 'calculated amount' left in the tank when we tried to start it, but that's when we found his 'failure to proceed' wasn't because he'd run out of gas, it was because the fuel pump had seized due to there being not enough lubricant/coolant left in the tank, despite there still being just over 4 litres still in there!! Once we recovered it & got it in for repair, the Tech discovered that not only the fuel pump but also all three injectors were toast!! Not a cheap repair, just cos he ran past that 'miles til empty' warning!!

So, like I said, how lucky do you feel?? It's seems to me that, just like all the other vehicles with similar injector/fuel pump systems, the higher tech our Spyders (& other vehicles) become, the less tolerant to these 'pushing the envelope' events they are!!

And that last bit is why I said you really shouldn't even THINK that you've got that 50 miles worth of gas left in the tank, cos you really don't - altho you MIGHT be lucky to have as much as 30 miles left until you start accumulating irreversible damage to the injector system/fuel pump! If you work out your distance to refuel on THAT being the absolute worst case scenario and refuel BEFORE it gets to 30 miles left to empty, then not only shouldn't you ever end up walking, but you also won't end up suffering the gradual & irreversible loss of power & fuel economy that occurs and accumulates from the very first time you run your gas tank too low and subject your injector system/fuel pump to running with a lack of lubricant & coolant! Do it just once, and even if you're lucky enough to get away with it that time, it doesn't need to run low to get worse from there on it!! Once that microscopic damage is first done, it'll gradually and irreversibly start chewing and grinding away on those critical & fairly expensive components, and over time, your engine will lose power and fuel economy!! Sure, it might not be easily measurable or noticeable at first, it might even take a while to become noticeable, but once it's there it's gonna be gradually getting worse.... or maybe it'll get worse a whole lot quicker than you expect!! Why risk it?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-28-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess I'm missing the point on why folks are pushing the limits on the remaining fuel in their tanks when the gage is telling them it is time to refuel. For obvious reasons and because of previously mentioned reasons, I fuel up before I come close to running out. There are also a lot of reasons out there that can suddenly influence fuel consumption and cause one to become stranded due to the lack of sufficient fuel. And, the situation could cause minor damage that would raise its ugly head later on. Does anyone have this fixation with the family car? I've never thought about running my car/truck out of gas just to see how much it would take to fill it. ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I guess I'm missing the point on why folks are pushing the limits on the remaining fuel in their tanks when the gage is telling them it is time to refuel.
    I did not start the thread, but will be happy to tell you why I added a post. I am a member of a forum dedicated to older Suzukis. The age range of the bikes is from 35 to 45 years old. Many of those bikes have gas gauges of questionable accuracy, I have had a couple myself. It's not a matter of whether the gauge is inaccurate, it's more of a how inaccurate it is.

Yeah, you can reset the trip meter, but that only assumes that your rides are all identical in identical weather. I have seen the same bike (with the same rider) get MPG readings of 28 for a couple of tankfuls, then later in the trip get over 55 MPG with no adjustments to the bike. (The typical range for that bike has been in the low 40s.) The differences were strictly related to weather and road speed.

Our older Suzukis also have the benefit of a RESERVE function on the petcock to allow you to use the last gallon or so in the tank. That feature does not exist on our Spyders.

Does anyone have this fixation with the family car? I've never thought about running my car/truck out of gas just to see how much it would take to fill it. ??
    I would not call it a "fixation", but yes, I often wonder just how accurate the gauge is when it's pointing to that big E, which, curiously, does not stand for "Enough". I have never experienced a lack of fuel in my van, but I have pumped in a bit more than the advertised capacity.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm missing the point on why folks are pushing the limits on the remaining fuel in their tanks when the gage is telling them it is time to refuel. For obvious reasons and because of previously mentioned reasons, I fuel up before I come close to running out. There are also a lot of reasons out there that can suddenly influence fuel consumption and cause one to become stranded due to the lack of sufficient fuel. And, the situation could cause minor damage that would raise its ugly head later on. Does anyone have this fixation with the family car? I've never thought about running my car/truck out of gas just to see how much it would take to fill it. ??
    Because of the Spyder's great range, I no longer obsess about how much fuel is left. On my Indian Scout there were always two Givi fuel containers in the left saddlebag, adding 1.3 gallons of fuel to the meager 3.3 gallons of the tank. There are stretches in Eastern Oregon where you pass a sign that says 125 miles to next fuel, after you are 40 miles past the last station. I couldn't make that ride without the extra fuel and there are other rides I like where a closed station can make the loop longer than the bikes range. And so I don't alarm Peter, I always added the fuel as soon as there was room in the tank. No worries now, with the Spyder's long legs. You do learn to buy fuel whenever it's available. Fuel availability and range are coupled, more in some parts of the country than others.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Because of the Spyder's great range, I no longer obsess about how much fuel is left. On my Indian Scout there were always two Givi fuel containers in the left saddlebag, adding 1.3 gallons of fuel to the meager 3.3 gallons of the tank. There are stretches in Eastern Oregon where you pass a sign that says 125 miles to next fuel, after you are 40 miles past the last station. I couldn't make that ride without the extra fuel and there are other rides I like where a closed station can make the loop longer than the bikes range. And so I don't alarm Peter, I always added the fuel as soon as there was room in the tank. No worries now, with the Spyder's long legs. You do learn to buy fuel whenever it's available. Fuel availability and range are coupled, more in some parts of the country than others.
    You are exactly correct, same here.
    I never try of plan on running low on fuel, and I have never ran the either Spyder out of fuel, but there are places out west where that does occasionally happen, you have 125 or more miles to the next station, and that is after you have ridden a ways already.
    Then there are the times in Wyoming where you run into the winds blowing so hard that you only get 25 MPG towing the camper, you thought you would get to the next station with over 1/4 of a tank, and end up running on empty by the time you get there.
    Knowing how much farther I can go in those situations is a great benefit.
    The point was missed that it is not about pushing it as far as you can and running low, that is stupidity!
    I carried extra fuel in the Yamaha Venture every time we went west, its range was much less.
    With the mileage and tank size of the 2015 Spyder, it only happened to me twice that I was very close to running out in the 50,000 or so miles we put on it, and those were the two scenarios just mentioned.

Spyder Garage

We had another variation back in high school - Scientific Wild A$$ Guess. Used it frequently in chemistry and physics - almost 50 years ago. So guess that's "old school" too.

Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    That’s why I asked the question. My owners manual says it’s a 26 litre tank (6.9 gal), but is it? I’ve never put 26 litres in it. I was wondering if anyone has been able to put the amount of fuel in that the manual says it holds. They would obviously have run dry.....or would they?
    Just back from a trip where I rode about 50 km after my "km remaining" screen went blank, so about 80km after the low fuel light went on. There was no roughness to the ride and my buddies were following me with a siphon hose if needed (we were just doing a route on back roads that went a bit further than we expected untill we found a gas station open). I put 23.6 litres in and I could not have put another drop in..... so I would suspect the 26 litres was accurate and I only had about 3 or less left. please
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-28-2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's not rocket science, and there's more to Life than worrying about whether or not the fuel capacity printed in the manual is correct.

Maybe it's just me....
    Nope ... me to.

I can also guarantee the riding from tank to tank, topography, wind etc. when touring will generally not be the same. Gas gauges on bikes ... well, 40 years on bikes, 35 years of inaccurate motorcycle gas gauges, i have learnt to never trusted one yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
    Nope ... me to.

I can also guarantee the riding from tank to tank, topography, wind etc. when touring will generally not be the same. Gas gauges on bikes ... well, 40 years on bikes, 35 years of inaccurate motorcycle gas gauges, i have learnt to never trusted one yet.
    Hess why when you have no bars left you probably have 1.5-2 gal. left after you fill up!! they have it there for fudge factor! And that not to say that the pumps that accurate, have seen some flakey seals and wondered how I got all that gas in that can at times! Oh my god, did I just say that!!! Here we go!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hess why when you have no bars left you probably have 1.5-2 gal. left after you fill up!! they have it there for fudge factor! And that not to say that the pumps that accurate, have seen some flakey seals and wondered how I got all that gas in that can at times! Oh my god, did I just say that!!! Here we go!!!
    It's NOT a FUDGE factor ...... Spyder Gas tanks are direct fill there is no filler neck pipe, so the nozzle goes far below the opening .... the FUEL in the tank triggers the shut-off .... easily bypassed ..... I do it all the time ..., 2 Gal. is 20% of the what you can put in the tank ...... that's a lot of gas ..... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

oh my god, did i just say that!!! Here we go!!!
    lmao ....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should always know where you're are going and how far it is. Not knowing one or both can place you and your passenger at great risk. I'm just say'n........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should always know where you're are going and how far it is. Not knowing one or both can place you and your passenger at great risk. I'm just say'n........
    Seriously? The trip is the destination. Where you're going, how far it is, and when you get there are always variables in my travels on a bike. Probably one of the reasons the Spyder would never
    be my choice for touring. If I can't get at least 160 miles before looking for a gas station, I'm going to be riding something else. My VFR will do about 200 miles on the app. 5 gallons of fuel.

The Spyder is fun, but it's not, in my mind, a real touring machine for out west. But Peggy likes it, and that's all that's important.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Seriously? The trip is the destination. Where you're going, how far it is, and when you get there are always variables in my travels on a bike. Probably one of the reasons the Spyder would never
    be my choice for touring. If I can't get at least 160 miles before looking for a gas station, I'm going to be riding something else. My VFR will do about 200 miles on the app. 5 gallons of fuel.

The Spyder is fun, but it's not, in my mind, a real touring machine for out west. But Peggy likes it, and that's all that's important.
    Yes, "seriously" most of all Peggy is very important. My passenger is only good for a hundred miles or less. At that point, she's ready for a break or a diet Pepsi or the totty. If the passenger is not happy, no one is happy. And there is no way I'm going to venture into the unknown particularly with a passenger on board.