Spyder Garage

Default Any thoughts on buying a Used RS/GS/ST or a New/Used Ryker?

With a year of new 2020/21 RT/RTLs sales; the used market now has a great selection of Gen 1 Spyders for sale. Specs and pricing for these Gen 1s seem to be on par with the Ryker which has me comparing them. Anybody have thoughts about these platforms?

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd get a used RS or ST that has been well-maintained. Rykers don't appeal to me at all due to many reasons, mainly its appearance.

And they don't look comfortable either. If I were you, I'd sit on them and see if you can take them out for an extended test ride....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Few things different:Matter of touring& storage has a frunk, Ryker has well something less even GS/ RS /ST Better equipped for touring. Know ST can pull trailer, think the GS/RS might be able as well not an option for Ryker as of yet. Bigger fuel tank ,bigger seats. Worth test driving & knowing how you wanna enjoy the most.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info I think I’m going to give those V-twins a close look; they seem to be a good value entry point into the Can-Am world.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We looked at the Ryker when we started looking at Spyders, but while the Spyder is mostly my wife's it will still be used occasionally to carry both of us. And the Ryker doesn't look like two-up would be all that right. And also, as was mentioned, we didn't care for the styling either.

OTOH we picked up a 2013 STS, SP5 with 4200 miles for $7200, so bargains are definitely out there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Removed extraneous 'hard returns' ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    We looked at the Ryker when we started looking at Spyders, but while the Spyder is mostly my wife's it will still be used occasionally to carry both of us. And the Ryker doesn't look like two-up would be all that right. And also, as was mentioned, we didn't care for the styling either.

OTOH we picked up a 2013 STS, SP5 with 4200 miles for $7200, so bargains are definitely out there.
    Thanks for the detail Possible; that is helpful
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2020 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I own a Ryker. I totally love it, and it is very comfy even for longer rides.
    The one thing I miss, that the Spyders have is storage space. Just a top case and backpack is a bit limiting.
    Whenever it comes to the question of which model is best, people tend to push for the model they have chosen, which is natural. But I think the only real good advice is to go to a dealer and check out all the models.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I own both a 2019 Ryker and a 2012 RS. They are very similar machines in my opinion. Each has its pros and cons and it really comes down to to what you'll be using the bike for and your seating preference. Personally, I feel the RS rides better than the Ryker and the seating position is more comfortable for me. 500 mile day on the RS and my body is completely fine. 500 mile day on the Ryker and my butt has some issues (need to try a Corbin seat maybe). You can find many storage options for both bikes. Yes the RS comes with more storage (the frunk) but its easy and pretty cheap to add storage to the Ryker. RS is better for 2 up riding for sure. I'd say the power and power delivery between the 2 is comparable. I wish they both had a little more "snap". Ryker is better on fuel most of the time. I find the Ryker more fun to ride but that's a personal opinion thing. Best thing you can do is at least sit on both and preferably ride both. The Ryker bars and pegs are adjustable but even with that adjustment the seating/riding position between the bikes is very different.

Spyder Garage

Just a quick update- today I purchased a well cared for 2008 GS at a great price. Money saved will be used to have any needed maintenance upkeep completed and also be my “cash in the bank” extended warranty against any future issues. Satisfied value buyer.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new to you Spyder GS!! Looks like a keeper
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the GS.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Congrats! With a Wing in the stable, it took me awhile to get used to the V-twin and its high revving nature. I have grown to like it, and even though it likes rpms, it still generates that visceral feel that cruiser rides like - yet it is very smooth. I have noticed that 55 mph / 4000 rpm and 70 mph / 5000 rpm are particularly smooth spots in the rev range that still give you that sweet, twin sound.

Is yours a semi-auto or full manual?
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Congrats! With a Wing in the stable, it took me awhile to get used to the V-twin and its high revving nature. I have grown to like it, and even though it likes rpms, it still generates that visceral feel that cruiser rides like - yet it is very smooth. I have noticed that 55 mph / 4000 rpm and 70 mph / 5000 rpm are particularly smooth spots in the rev range that still give you that sweet, twin sound.

Is yours a semi-auto or full manual?
    It’s a full manual. Rides great- took no time to get used to it. First trike for me.

Spyder Garage

I bought a used 2019 Ryker 900 with 2400 miles on it. It was out of warranty due to time, but not miles. I figured the problems had been worked out the first 2000 miles. I bought it site unseen from a dealer one state away and have had no problems. I think I got a good deal on it, certainly better than the local dealer could do. Recently I've seen several Spyders for sale with low miles at very good prices. We have to admit that a Spyder/Ryker is not for everyone. Some are purchased and sold in a year or two with almost no road time.