Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

I have been riding motorcycles for 60 years and do not even know how many I have owned. I have never bought a bike because it got good gas mileage nor even asked how many MPG one got. More likely to ask how fast it will go or how many seconds zero to 60.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I have been riding motorcycles for 60 years and do not even know how many I have owned. I have never bought a bike because it got good gas mileage nor even asked how many MPG one got. More likely to ask how fast it will go or how many seconds zero to 60.
    I must be missing something, I don't see where anyone said they bought a motorcycle because of the good gas mileage it gets.

The question was how many gallon tank it actually has and the MPG so that you know how far you can ride between fill ups.
    Wanting to know if the miles to empty is accurate is for the same purpose, how far can I ride between fill ups.

If you are always running highways it is not that big of a deal. When you run all back roads it makes a big difference on whether you can make it to the next town and station shown on our route, or whether you need to drive 10 miles out of your way to the closest station to you.

Even though we route out most of our trips, we very seldom take every road we have routed. If a road looks good, has a scenic or byway designation, and is headed in the general direction we are traveling, we quite often will take it. Knowing how many more miles we can travel before empty allows more freedom to do that. When you have 1/4 of a tank and the sign 90 miles to next service and you don't know how far you have left to go, you might not take that route and then miss out on a view or road of a lifetime.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Most people after a few fill up's and keeping there mileage and watching there driving style will have a clue on what's going on, and act accordingly wouldn't they? When it comes to MPG, don't matter what your driving, you have to go threw the steps, and it will be a little different for each driver, because we all drive different! My 2 cents, for what it's worth!! Drive it and figure it out, happy trails!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Wow! That display does NOT exist on my RT -- just a soft grey circle.
    If you go thru your menu there is an option to display 'miles to go'. I think it's within the settings menu.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember seeing that on my 20 RTL either, strange! I need to review my owner's manual.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I don't remember seeing that on my 20 RTL either, strange! I need to review my owner's manual.
    See post #32

Current 2021 RTL Chrome Chalk / Previous Spyder - 2010 RTS-Premier Edition #115 Black

Spyder Garage

Has anyone thought about using the hitch as a carrier for a 2 gallon gas can? That could be very helpful in unfamiliar areas and give great peace of mind.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Jimmur, not easy but I got it. Not so sure I could do again, but maybe

Spyder Garage

I know people who have rode the Alaskan Highway. Some of them had the specialty aux fuel tanks that bolt to a rack and others have just strapped 2.5 gallon fuel cans on the rack with the luggage. Some might worry about being rear ended with fuel tanks on the rack. Some of the people who carried them were asked about it. They said if they were hit hard enough to cause a fuel explosion, they would hardly be anywhere near the bike when they landed anyway.

There are plenty of options for aux fuel tanks for motorcycles.... https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...4dUDCAY&uact=5

I have one of the fuel pack tanks. I think it is 2.5 gallon. I use it for the generator and camper, but never carried it on the bikes. I have carried several of the 32 oz MSR Fuel Bottles.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

In my world tracking, or attempting to track, mpg on individual tanks of gas is ONLY to give me an idea how many miles I've to play with when the low fuel light comes on.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Has anyone thought about using the hitch as a carrier for a 2 gallon gas can?
    I won't use all the words that come to mind when I think of that.

Let's just say that I won't even put a trailer on that hitch, let alone shake up a couple gallons of gas.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I won't use all the words that come to mind when I think of that.

Let's just say that I won't even put a trailer on that hitch, let alone shake up a couple gallons of gas.

Tell me why? In kind words.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Three basic concepts.
    1. You are adding unsprung weight to the wheel assembly, not to mention it will have the added (dis)advantage of leverage.
    2. You are constantly shaking a volatile fuel, adding to the creation of vapor in the can.
    3. Remember the Ford Pinto? It at least had a bumper to “protect” the gas tank.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Three basic concepts.
    1. You are adding unsprung weight to the wheel assembly, not to mention it will have the added (dis)advantage of leverage.
    2. You are constantly shaking a volatile fuel, adding to the creation of vapor in the can.
    3. Remember the Ford Pinto? It at least had a bumper to “protect” the gas tank.

.... and the shaking will Increase the internal pressure in the container ..... it will cause it to leak and possibly even split ...... jmho .... Mike