Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020RT remaining gas in tank

How accurate are: 1. The yellow semi-circle bar 2. Miles remaining indicator 3. Bike's MPG indication

MY RT after fill-up indicates 150 miles remaining

MY MPG average varies from 25-30 (mostly 25.5) - combo back roads and highway. On Highway traffic is moving at 75MPH+ (65 speed limit + legal 10 over) - so I go with the flow

I also find that when filling up and stopping when gas nozzle auto-shuts off that yellow semi-circle shows only approx. 7/8 full.

I don't care about gas mileage - what I am hoping is that I can trust the miles remaining countdown and whether it is OK to click the gas nozzle a couple times during fill up so that I can get longer range between fill-ups.

When my yellow semi-circle showed maybe 1/8 remaining I only put in 3.5 gallons at click off.

Thank u for your time.

Search engine leaves allot to be desired
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about the 2020, but my wife's '17 RT-S will hold over a gallon more after the nozzle auto-stops. You have to pull the nozzle out a bit, because it is sticking quite far into the tank when fully-inserted.

We don't have "miles remaining" or "MPG indication" on her bike, so I have no idea how accurate they might be.

It's a good thing you are not concerned about MPG, because I think those numbers are HORRIBLE. In our limited time with the bike (5 months, about 4100 miles), we have found that MPG drops like a rock when speeds go over 65-70. We try to keep under 65 as much as possible, our average MPG so far is about 35.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas tank

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    How accurate are: 1. The yellow semi-circle bar 2. Miles remaining indicator 3. Bike's MPG indication

MY RT after fill-up indicates 150 miles remaining

MY MPG average varies from 25-30 (mostly 25.5) - combo back roads and highway. On Highway traffic is moving at 75MPH+ (65 speed limit + legal 10 over) - so I go with the flow

I also find that when filling up and stopping when gas nozzle auto-shuts off that yellow semi-circle shows only approx. 7/8 full.

I don't care about gas mileage - what I am hoping is that I can trust the miles remaining countdown and whether it is OK to click the gas nozzle a couple times during fill up so that I can get longer range between fill-ups.

When my yellow semi-circle showed maybe 1/8 remaining I only put in 3.5 gallons at click off.

Thank u for your time.

Search engine leaves allot to be desired
    You've been here since 2008 ..... The GAS tank fill level is the same as it was then ..... WHY.... because the gas nozzle goes directly into the tank .... where the it will be below the level of gas in the tank .... so it shuts off sooner than what is needed to fill the tank..... Even if you visually see the gas at the filler rim there will still be the Air Pocket for heat expansion..... I always fill to the rim ( visually ) .... and that means adding another 1.2-3 gallons after the AUTO Shut -off is triggered.... The KEY to accurate MPG's is, you must always fill the Tank to the same level..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would like to make a suggestion:

The miles remaining and gauges are just representations of what is going on. Pretty to look at, but I am not going to base my ride on them.

Use one of your tripmeters...to keep track of total miles on the tank. Reset it to zero every time you refill the tank.

RE: filling. The auto shutoff is not where to stop on the fill. Pull the nozzel out to the ring and slowly decant more fuel. I usually get a gallon more. I fill slowly up to the ring, let it settle down and refill to the ring one more time. Then I am done with the fill.

When done, my gauge shows 270 miles to go. If you fill to the same level each time, you will also get a more accurate mpg number...if you keep track. I do, and get a consistant 40 mpg.

I can go over 200 miles before the tank light comes on. Since we consistantly do rides of over 100 miles. We usually top off the tank, before commencing a new ride. We would rather ride with a full tank, than one dangling around empty. Came close to running out once, and that was enough for me. On a long trip, in unfamiliar territory, we start looking for gas at a half tank. It is good to get off the bike and stretch every couple hours or so, IMO, of course.

No two machines are exactly alike do to the many variables. Get to know YOUR machine and act accordingly.

Hope you find this information helpful.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-20-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The hardest thing I find about attempting to consistently get the tank to the same fill level is the is the varying pressure of gas pumps and the unpredictability of so many nozzle valves. Makes one wish for a rotary hand crank pump with no nozzle valve at all.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The hardest thing I find about attempting to consistently get the tank to the same fill level is the is the varying pressure of gas pumps and the unpredictability of so many nozzle valves. Makes one wish for a rotary hand crank pump with no nozzle valve at all.
    I'll agree with that completely. Some pump nozzles don't react well at all to gentle squeezes. It's often a case of either off or full-on and what that usually means is another opportunity to clean up splash-overs. Commie pinko fuel nozzles!!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With only 1500 miles on my 2020, I'm giving another couple thousand for break in to figure out my mpg, and then over several months period of time. Right now I'm looking at 35/36....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    With only 1500 miles on my 2020, I'm giving another couple thousand for break in to figure out my mpg, and then over several months period of time. Right now I'm looking at 35/36....
    3000 miles and up before the fuel mileage starts to get where it should. 5000 is even better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info so far

Two new things I will do, per suggestions: Set trip meter and put more gas in.

Per the display: 150 mile range and 25MPG just doesn't seem right even with only 300 miles to date.

On my 2008 RS and 2015 F3 MPG and range didn't vary significantly from day one. F3 always in mid 30's, ridden hard.
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well said Ark, will give it more time, more miles. By the way, had it out in a frog strangler today for about 3 hours, performed really well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I would like to make a suggestion:

RE: filling. The auto shutoff is not where to stop on the fill. Pull the nozzel out to the ring and slowly decant more fuel. I usually get a gallon more. I fill slowly up to the ring, let it settle down and refill to the ring one more time. Then I am done with the fill.
    While I understand this thread relates to the 1330, on the off chance someone w/one of the twins is reading, the above doesn't apply to you. From the sticky "Do's and Do Nots" thread:

DO NOT Overfill the Gas Tank (Does not apply to 1330 models):
    This causes a few problems. When you get an inch or more below the top of the tank, stop filling it – period!
    Overfilling causes fuel to flow-over into the evap-canister or when the fuel gets hot and expands.
    This can lead to problems with gas-fumes (smell), and a potential fire hazard.
    In late 2012, early 2013, BRP sent owners of all models new gas-caps to seal better and help with the gas fume problem. However, the gas-fume smell can be persistent in some cases. See your dealer if you experience an excessive smell of fuel when riding or after. There are a few threads on the subject that you can thumb-through and share with your mechanic. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Fix-Gas-SMell

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info so far

Two new things I will do, per suggestions: Set trip meter and put more gas in.

Per the display: 150 mile range and 25MPG just doesn't seem right even with only 300 miles to date.

On my 2008 RS and 2015 F3 MPG and range didn't vary significantly from day one. F3 always in mid 30's, ridden hard.
    You don't even have the thing broke it yet!So fill it to the top and set your trip meter, you know what the tank will hold empty and go by that, then you can say at 180 miles I better find gas, or what ever,, Feel it out!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I use this pump to fill the spyder with non-ethynol gas that I have in 5 gal. cans for my generator. It guarantees a consistent fill every time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    While I understand this thread relates to the 1330, on the off chance someone w/one of the twins is reading, the above doesn't apply to you. From the sticky "Do's and Do Nots" thread:

DO NOT Overfill the Gas Tank (Does not apply to 1330 models):
    This causes a few problems. When you get an inch or more below the top of the tank, stop filling it – period!
    Overfilling causes fuel to flow-over into the evap-canister or when the fuel gets hot and expands.
    This can lead to problems with gas-fumes (smell), and a potential fire hazard.
    In late 2012, early 2013, BRP sent owners of all models new gas-caps to seal better and help with the gas fume problem. However, the gas-fume smell can be persistent in some cases. See your dealer if you experience an excessive smell of fuel when riding or after. There are a few threads on the subject that you can thumb-through and share with your mechanic. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Fix-Gas-SMell
    The method I have described has never resulted in an overfilled fuel tank. Includes 6 spyders over 12 years and 175,000 Spyder miles. Also includes both engine styles. 4 998's and 2 1330's.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I went for a 195 mile zip through the twisties today. When I left the house I reset the A trip meter and when I got fuel (4 miles later), I reset the B trip meter. A for trip miles, B for fuel miles. At the end of the ride the gauge said 1/8 tank. Here's the fun part: The A meter said 37 mpg; The B meter said 22 mpg. They correctly said, A-195 miles and B-191 miles. Tell me what that means!
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I use this pump to fill the spyder with non-ethynol gas that I have in 5 gal. cans for my generator. It guarantees a consistent fill every time.
    I take it you never ride any farther than about 100 miles from home?

Or do you carry that in your trailer when on a trip?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I went for a 195 mile zip through the twisties today. When I left the house I reset the A trip meter and when I got fuel (4 miles later), I reset the B trip meter. A for trip miles, B for fuel miles. At the end of the ride the gauge said 1/8 tank. Here's the fun part: The A meter said 37 mpg; The B meter said 22 mpg. They correctly said, A-195 miles and B-191 miles. Tell me what that means!
    Thank you so much - this is one of the main reasons I started this thread (which I didn't properly explain) - to find out experiences 2020RT owners are having.

The bike's calculations seem bonkers. 2020 RT maybe has changes from previous years causing different results gauges/sensors/algorithms.

Hoping to gain others experience before going on a long journey and making way to many unplanned/ unnecessary gas stops.

I'll do your method on my next ride with A and B trip meters. I wonder in setting A/B would the status on left middle side of screen still show miles remaining before empty - I'll find out soon.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

I wonder in setting A/B would the status on left middle side of screen still show miles remaining before empty - I'll find out soon.
    I've looked and looked at my 2020RT's display and can't find a 'miles remaining' display. Any chance for a picture or more words as to where?

Edit: I found it in the manual, but there is nothing displayed on my RT. ???
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I've looked and looked at my 2020RT's display and can't find a 'miles remaining' display. Any chance for a picture or more words as to where?

Edit: I found it in the manual, but there is nothing displayed on my RT. ???
    thumbnail.jpg it is the 154 mi so after filling tank until auto cut off this is range that it displays 154. When riding you'll see it count down in realtime 1 mile at a time.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

thumbnail.jpg it is the 154 mi so after filling tank until auto cut off this is range that it displays 154. When riding you'll see it count down in realtime 1 mile at a time.
    You may see it count up, sometimes a bunch, if your riding changes from say 20 miles on the freeway to a steady 45 MPH down a country road.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    You may see it count up, sometimes a bunch, if your riding changes from say 20 miles on the freeway to a steady 45 MPH down a country road.
    Thank you for info

Can't ride until wed 9/23 - will be interesting to me to see miles it says after a true fill-up.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I take it you never ride any farther than about 100 miles from home?

Or do you carry that in your trailer when on a trip?

I'll fill up on the road if I HAVE to. That pump is really handy though for filling the spyder, lawn mower, tractor etc.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 F3L which has the same display. Mileage to empty can be very high right after a fill up. But gets more accurate as the fuel is used. It looks like my gas mileage is better then yours and you maybe are not filling your tank all the way to the top. When I fill mine the mileage to empty will be 420 to 440 km (260 to 275 mi). Not going to get that far. 400 to 410 is more realistic (250 to 255 mi).

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Calculations can be context dependent too. If I’m going on a long run I’ll typically ride through town to the service station closest to my highway access. When I fill up the calculation is based (in part) on my in-town consumption and gives a reasonable range estimate based on that. Then I head out on the highway. For my first few km my estimated range goes up as the expected usage recalculated.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Wow! That display does NOT exist on my RT -- just a soft grey circle.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot