Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default This is about to get real ... so here come the questions

So .. signing tomorrow on a 2021 RTL, hopefully, and taking delivery next week ... hopefully. Since we are moving from two wheels to three, we have hopefully extended out riding season! Very excited. Thank you all for this forum. I have spent years on ventureridres.org and I know how important and helpful a good forum can be. This looks like the one for Spyders. So thank you all.

Now for a slew of questions!

What do you do with your helmets when on a stop? Will two full faced helmets fit in the rear trunk? Side bags? What if they are full?
    What is this “Integrated Helmet Bag”? Does it plug into the bikes alarm system, or is it just an armored cable on a bag that hooks under a locked seat?

Does anyone have a source for soft luggage for the hard bags & trunks? Any advice would be appreciated. This is an area where we are looking to save on if possible.

Looking for a good bike cover. It will be stored outside a lot, pretty much daily, during the riding season, “Waterproof”? “Weatherproof”? Water resistant? Something that covers the whole bike of course, with grommets, and doesn't require an engineering degree to get on.

How about a smaller half-cover for a quick source of protection?

I know there are a ton of videos etc on the navigation, BRP Connect etc; but are there any quick comments? App recommendations? Do’s & Don’ts? Or a particular video explaining all this that you like? Not looking for a lot of info, just hope to cut through some of the BS out there.

Jacking this thing up? How??? Do I use my motorcycle jack, or is that thing now useless? For instance if I need to change a rear tire (are they still Kendas in 2021??). Wondering if thats another investment, or do I keep the jack I have.

In your opinions, can the electrical system handle two sets of heated jackets?

This is a little out of the norm here I think but on my current bike I have a set of LEDs by a company called ADDMotor. What is different about these is that no matter what color or mode I have them set on, they all turn bright red when I hit the brakes. Love that. Does anyone have a source for anything like that. I am either overlooking, or simply cant find them.

OMG!!! I have so many more! This is opening up a new world to us, since I haven’t really been confidant lately on 2-wheels, especially 2-up.
    So sorry for he long post, glad to be here. I’ll try to clam down - maybe switch to decaf - before my next post!

TIA
    Mike
    2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Hey Mike, congratulations! I highly recommend going through the various websites of the sponsors on the home page here on SpyderLovers. They are ALL excellent vendors and will have everything you're looking for.

As far as helmets are concerned, I bought a couple small dog chains, pass them through the "D" part of the chin straps, and attach them to the clips underneath the seat.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    As far as helmets are concerned, I bought a couple small dog chains, pass them through the "D" part of the chin straps, and attach them to the clips underneath the seat.
    Thanks! Thats what we do not eh Venture with our extra stuff ... helmets on the helmet locks, and a plastic coated cable up the sleeves of our jackets with loop ends also hooked into the helmet locks. I really like th dog chain idea! Thats really simple.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I just use a cable style gun lock and leave the helmet sitting on the handlebars.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Some folks use ramps to run fronts up on, jack up rear and put block under it to level. This makes oil changes much easier. You'll need a 40 & 45 Torx for the two oil drains. I don't have a motorcycle jack but would think it would work to lift the RT. Not sure you can get at the two drains tho.
    If not, make three wood blocks (stands) out of 2'' X 8" or 10" or 12" (whatever you have or chose to purchase), to lower the RT on to. Lifted about a foot off the ground makes oil changes much easier. Plug on right side is a normal type; loosen and unscrew quickly. Left side plug is longer, with O Rings on it, and does not unscrew quickly so be prepared for a lot of oil running down your hand and wrench.

Lots of "how to's" on the forum. Take ur time and do some searches. You might find easier ways to do it.

Oh, and welcome to the group. What color did you get?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Get ready to open your wallet up, it's like the Lays potato chip, once you start you just can't buy just one farkel!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Lidlox are a nice option to secure the helmets when you are away from your bike for a bit.

Spyder Garage

On the 20, 2 helmets are supposed to fit in top case,haven't checked that but there is a tab on each side under the drivers seat that you hang your helmets on and when seat is down are effectively locked. BRP has fitted side bag soft bags and,I think,a frunk bag.Most folks like Hopnel bags that are available from a couple site sponsors.Frunk is where our leather ends up when in restaurant etc. so a bag there would be wasted for me.You may need one for stuff on a longer trip tho! Once you get used to the bike you will never look back.Reasonable HP,comfy and handles very well.You are gonna love it!

Spyder Garage

Spyder's electrical system can be really fussy and do strange things when accessories are hooked up to it. For this reason, I installed a fuse block on the "wall" behind the frunk liner. I fed it through a relay so it is only energized when the ignition is on. I strongly advise you put one in if you intend to add LED lighting. Bottom photo is looking down toward the battery. This is the one and where I got it from....
    https://usa.banggood.com/DC12V24V32V...r_warehouse=CN

20190429_155812.jpg

20190517_184756.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike welcome to Spyderlovers from an old Venturerider. I joined them back when Don 1st started that group. Finially let my membership go last year.
    Soft luggage: Value Accessories a sponsor here has soft luggage, a full cover and a half cover.
    Cover Full: Value Accessories, BRP
    Cover 1/2: Value Accessories,BRP
    Electrical re: heated suits : the old VTwins were short on electrical power but the 1330 have plenty
    Lifting: I use ramps for oil changes and jack up the rear for a 3rd ramp to level. Be sure you have the torx bit ALL the way in.
    Kendas: yes they still come with Kendas.
    In one respect this is just like VR. post a picture or it didnt happn_
    on the new Spyder. It is very different from your Venture,not so topheavy. If you are familier with them ride it like a 4wheeler and relax your grip on the bars. Read the Do's and Don's page and have fun. This group is very much like Ventureriders. You will soon know how much fun the Spyders are.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

and on the new :spyder2

I will answer one of your questions and leave some for others.

RE: Luggage

I like the soft Hopnel bags. I bought a set of four that work well on my F3 from Lamonster Garage for around $100. Spyderpops also has the same.

They are not perfect fit...but they do work. I saved $1000 over the first set I bought for my 2010 RT when they came out. Still have them, and they are in use on the 2014 RT I also own.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Kendas: yes they still come with Kendas.
    Even the 2021s.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would take your time and get use to your ride first then go for what you really want/need for your new Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post

Oh, and welcome to the group. What color did you get?
    Deep Marsala Metallic / chrome trim!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    In one respect this is just like VR. post a picture or it didnt happn_
    LOL. Got it!
    Thanks for all the tips.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL, and yes, two full face helmets will fit in the tour pack.

Spyder Garage

Not sure about full helmets, but we have half helmets and i just throw them (1 each), in each bag on the side and lock it. I have a 2014 RT

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the helmets....This applies no matter what year/model of bike you ride. I have never worried about my helmet. When I go into a restaurant, or shopping, my helmet just sits on the bike seat....No Lock. I’ve done this for more than 30 years now. At night for overnight, if parked outside, I take it in with me. Never have had a problem!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 Spyder RTL and two Nolan full face helmets laid sideways fit in the trunk with the Bluetooth coms on the side.

I went with the battery powered clothing since I had sold my plug in gear a few years ago and I did not want to fool around trying to hook up the clothing, just an alternative option if starting fresh.

I have the Can Am bags for the Frunk and two side bags. I just took them on a camping trip in the mountains and used the bags for clothing and the Freedom Trailer for the tent etc. The bags worked great.

I have the Garmin Zumo 590 and finally figured, I think, how to create a route on Google Maps and to get it into the Garmin. I hope to try it out tomorrow on a road trip to see how it works. I became frustrated with the BRP connect system.

I have both the full and partial cover. I used the full cover all summer in MN and it worked well. I did have it blow off once before I connected the tie downs. I used the partial for my camping trip to keep the dew off the seat and it seemed to work fine.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

When I took my motorcycle safety course, I asked the instructor this very same question about where to put my helmet. He asked me if I ever saw a "hot" helmet for sale on anywhere? What is the market for used helmets? That settled me that very few people want to steal a helmet. Now someone could take my helmet because they just wanted to be a jerk but little reason to steal one. I suppose if I had an expensive communication device on mine I would feel different though.

Spyder Garage

I don’t worry much about leaving my helmet hooked on a handlebar or on the seat. Most people with ill intent seem to understand that a large bike likely comes with a large biker they don’t want to piss off...

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

I don't worry about my helmet either. If Spyder's going to be out of sight I may put my Sena in the trunk. I take it into the hotel overnight when touring.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If you live in or are riding through a "helmets required" state, and somebody does take the helmet off your bike, you will be left to ride (illegally) without a helmet to some place which sells helmets to replace the helmet. During off hours or weekends, this could be a major problem. I am not so concerned about losing a well worn helmet off the bike as being left without a helmet 100 miles up into a state that has "helmet required for all" laws. Putting a small gun lock on might stop someone just walking by from deciding they need the helmet more than I do. It would not be worth that much if they did take it, but the problems it could cause, being left without a helmet in some rural areas of "helmet required" states could be a problem.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I am not so concerned about losing a well worn helmet off the bike as being left without a helmet 100 miles up into a state that has "helmet required for all" laws.
    Possible, but not probable. Same for a tire blowout, or connecting rod busting, or any one of thousands of possible disasters. We all have to balance for our own comfort the level of risk we're willing to live with. I leave my helmet on the seat with my jacket draped over it. I don't worry about the low probability, maybe 0.01%, of someone taking it. Now, as far as running out of gas. That has a 100% probability of happening if I don't take preventive action by filling the tank!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I suppose if I had an expensive communication device on mine I would feel different though.
    We have J&M setups in our helmets. The full set of speakers, microphone and two cords (upper and lower) might actually cost more than the helmet, but it's not going to bankrupt me if it goes 'missing'. That said, we typically set the helmet on the seat, if it will be stable enough, or set it over the mirror on my bike. Overnight, they definitely go into the room with us.

No idea how much the Sena or Cardo systems cost, as they do not appeal to me, so I have nothing to compare with.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G