Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST-S SM5 - Time to start modifications.... and the questions?

Okay, we got this last week and have had it three days. So obviously it's time to start the modifications. And as in most things,
    nothing is new, so it's best to ask questions before starting a project. I worked in a bike shop many decades ago, and spent 40 years
    working as a mechanic in a can factory, and none of my bikes have ever seen the inside of a shop. So I figure I can handle most
    projects, with some hints (and/or cheats) from the forum members.

Number One: I checked the belt alignment, and the book says it's supposed to be a little ways away from the sprocket flange, and
    farther away from the non-flanged edge. Mine shows that it is rubbing a bit on the flange, i.e. side of the belt is shiny and shows
    where it's been rubbing the flange, and the flange shows it's been rubbing.

I ordered a Kriket II from BajaRon and will tackle the job when the part gets here. It doesn't look too bad according to the service
    manual, which I already have on hand.

Number Two: I'm asking opinions here about the efficacy of the BajaRon anti-sway bar. I like the idea since I tend to ride a bit aggressively,
    Peggy says Too Aggressively. But the bike does ride straight and true with no wandering. It does lean a bit more than I like in corners
    but I'm still unfamiliar with what is good, and what is normal, and what can be improved upon.

The Spyder has 4500 miles on it so it shouldn't be worn out. An oil and filter change is on the schedule too when I get the filter.

Anyway, all opinions are welcome.

TIA

Howard and Peggy

Spyder Garage

BajaRons bar was my first modification. Haven't regretted it for a minute as it negates almost all big truck turbulence on the interstate. My 2015 RTL feels much more stable than stock in all situations.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum.
    Put some miles on the bike and learn to ride it before you make significant changes.
    Nice bike that will serve you well. I'm sure with your experience you can handle the repairs and maintenance.
    As you gain experience you will find the ST is woefully undersprung and will benefit from
    the BaJaRon sway bar and better shocks/springs. Belt alignment and tension are essential to
    comfort and wear. Check the most current specs as belt tension was been changed.
    Check and be ready for new tires if you are an aggressive rider, upgrade to a decent set of car tires.
    Learn about the purge valve issues and replace the vacuum hoses.
    BaJaRon is one of your best sources of high quality parts.
    Good luck and hoping to see you on the road.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Your going to see that that belt likes to wander a bit, one time you get off the bike it may be close to the flange, then the next time you get off the bike, it could be a little off the flange, what you don't want to see is it way away from it! And if you back the bike like into the shop to work on it, that will throw the whole works off alot!!!! And you will have to jack up the back and let it roll in the air to get it in it's happy place!! I would say the belt is one of my least favorite things to do because it's so finicky, a little go's a long way so have a cup of coffee and enjoy!! The sway bars a piece of cake, Ron sends you a set of directions a three year old can fallow, he's great to work with if you get in a jam, he's there to help!!! Your oil change, look those plugs over well unless the PO change the plugs over to a aftermarket hex head, you find one is a torx bit, one is a alien head, and they like to varnish themselves in so, so give them a little tap with a small hammer then put your tool in there and loosen the bolt, don't over tighten them when install!! It's all nuts and bolts, and I am shore you got it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Go to this web site and download a service manual: https://brpmanuals.com/canam-spyder-manual.htmhttp://. It will be a good investment.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the advice and cautions. I hadn't read about the purge valve so I will have to do some Searching for that. Thank you for the heads up.

I wouldn't be too worried about the belt if it were just nearly at the flange, but it's easy to see that it's been rubbing on the flange for quite a while. So
    it's on my list.

Looks like BajaRon's anti-sway bar is a definite buy.

I haven't really checked out the sidewalls, but are the tires that come on the Spyder motorcycle tires? I assumed they were car tires from the sizes and
    the flat tread area, but I have seen people mention they've put car tires on their Spyder, so it makes me wonder.

I had read about some of the issues with the drain bolts being tight and hard to remove, so I was aware of a possible issue there.

I did buy the service manual from the link shown by JayBros, the day after we got the Spyder home. And completely read through the Owner's manual
    supplement too.

Again, thank you for the replies, always appreciated.

Howard and Peggy