Spyder Garage

Default Shift handle for Rykers

I was doing some reading and came across a guy in Iowa that does some 3D printing and he designed a shift handle. It fits on the gear shaft and uses the factory bolt.
    16005528002968491016831235680418.jpg

He had other colors, but my Ryker is black.
    2020 Ace , BLACK

Spyder Garage

Default Shift handle Ryker

I was doing some reading and came across a guy in Iowa that does some 3D printing and he designed a shift handle. It fits on the gear shaft and uses the factory bolt.
    16005528002968491016831235680418.jpg

He had other colors, but my Ryker is black.
    2020 Ace , BLACK

Spyder Garage
    2020 Ace , BLACK

Spyder Garage

Got a link? Does this fit over the current rubber casing, or do you have to remove it and then slide this one the lever?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

You have to remove the rubber, but it uses the factory bolt!!!!
    2020 Ace , BLACK

Spyder Garage

I just moved my shifter back about 30 degrees and it works great. I never have to move it with my hand. It took about 15 minutes. Just loosen the bolt, lightly tap a sharp flat screwdriver into the shifter slot and you'll be good to go.

Spyder Garage

It's just too bad CanAm didn't put a bit more thought into the shifter. Some sort of pivoting bracket that would keep the lever tucked in tighter to the frame, add a longer handle, and now we're talkin'.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing this hit the market. Currently in pre-order at Sling Mods ... I've got a similar conversion on my Ural and love it.

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I did the same thing Rydernow did; rotated the stock shifter arm rearward.

Remove the socket-head screw holding the arm to the trike. You must back the screw all the way out because it fits in a grove in the serated shaft from the gearbox. Gently prise the shifter arm off the machine. This may require some prying with a flat bladed tool, or even resorting to a two-armed gear puller. Once the arm is off, put a little grease on the serations and press the shifter arm back onto the shaft at the desired new position. This may require a little judicious pounding, but it should go on fairly easily. Reinsert and tighten the socket-head screw.

I can now shift mine just using my foot without any problem, almost as easily as on a bike.
    BS

Spyder Garage

Ravensrest and Rydernow: Thank you for that tip about moving the shifter 30 degrees You are right, that makes a huge difference in ease of shifting with using only your foot. Even with my rudimentary mechanical skills I was able to do this. The hardest part for me was getting the shifter handle back on the spline. I ended up having to remove the customizable side panel and removing a bolt from the front of the "airbox" directly above the spline to push the airbox up an inch to be able to gain the correct angle to push and hammer and coax the handle back onto the spline. When I put everything back together, the airbox cover was pretty loose, and I discovered that I had dislodged an oval-shaped rubber grommet from the rear of the airbox that helped to stabilize it. So I got that back in place and all is good. It is amazing how much difference this 3 inches makes. Now I'm afraid when my wife sees this, she will want this done to her Ryker. Oh well, at least I have some experience now to do this. Here are photos of the new and old positions of the shifter handle in the reverse gear:
    IMG_0505.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images