Spyder Garage

Default Richard St. Romain - difficulties checking the oil level?

I have a 2013 RTS RS Spyder. Changing oil & filters is not easy at all. I found that even checking oil level is not consistant depending on how quick you check oil AFTER running for 10 minutes. I also get inconsistant level readings after I drain ALL oil (overnight) then, "fill up" with recomended amounts of oil with new oil filters. After driving spyder for 10 minutes, some times, level does not even show up on on dip stick. At 82 years old, I dealt with countless lawn tractors, small boat engines, cars, trucks, motor cycles, etc. with oil changes & checking levels. They were ALL, predictibale and effective measurments with dip sticks.
    QUESTION: After putting the amount of oil the manual recomended, the level was about 1/4 inch (one quarter inch) ABOVE, the full line. Is that actually ok or, should I siphon some oil out till it gets to the "high level" mark on the dip stick??? Thanks for any information you can povide, Dick
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: This is a "How do I?" question not a "How to:" DIY description

Spyder Garage

oil level checking on the older VTwins seems to be a problem for many. There are many threads here on this subject.
    This is what I do on my 2012 RT, same motor as yours. Go for a good ride,30 min or more. Come home, park, shut off, remove access panel(don't know if you have one of these), let idle for 30 seconds, shut off and check. Be sure you screw the dipstick all the way in. Should be between the marks. I usually put in 4 qts. run it, then fill to level as needed.
    BTW at 84 and changing your own oil you are my hero. It is a chore for me at 74.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sent you a PM Wolleydickie.

As for the oil level, these engines are Dry Sump engines, so using the correct check procedure & checking the oil level when it's up to operating temperature within a couple of minutes of shutting the engine down is ESSENTIAL! And over-filling the reservoir isn't really all that great - potentially quite messy at best, as some have found out; expensive at worst, albeit luckily or otherwise, quite rarely!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!