Spyder Garage

Default New 2020 RT L. tire pressure question

Well the machine is in the garage. Rode it from Sevierville TN back to my home in Franklin NC. Machine is smooth. I have browsed the threads and saw and read some post on tire pressure but didn't gleen much. Stock tires. Will be riding both one up and two up. What is a good front and rear tire pressure. Thanks in advance.
    "Doc" McCoy Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (SARC).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've only had my 2020 RT for a week and I have been using BRP #'s under driver seat : 20psi front 28 back. No complaints - very smooth ride

Since you L is heavier - check #'s under seat.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Doc, do yourself a big favor and read the operator's guide thoroughly, at least twice, particularly pg. 123-124 regarding tires. Get yourself a good tire gauge because you should keep the front tires within 0.5 psi of each other. If you don't have an operator's guide the dealership owes you one. You can also download it at this link, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Just drill down to your year and model and you will find it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The OE Spec Kenda tires really NEED to be pretty close to the pressures indicated in the operator's guide &/or on the tire placard - they NEED those pressures to safely carry the load that you & your Spyder impose on them!!

However, that will mean your rear tire is quite likely to wear out in the centre of the tread first, possibly even fairly rapidly, but that IS NOT necessarily any indication of over-inflation on these lightly constructed tires - this wear is largely due to the light construction of the tire not being heavy enough to be capable of stopping the centre of the tread on what is really a fairly wide tire from being 'thrown outwards' by centrifugal force as it stretches the lightweight sidewalls in and up, causing the tread centre to 'balloon out' and effectively forcing the tire to run on only that narrow centre strip of tread! Lowering the pressure on OE Spec Kendas to counter any supposed 'over-inflation' & centre tread wear has not only proven to be mainly useless at minimising this wear characteristic, but it will also compromise the Kenda's load carrying capacity, usually making that 'ballooning out' even worse AND introducing a lot of tire casing instability with a resulting loss of easy directional control & increased 'tire squirm' while cornering!! So keep the pressures on the OE spec Kendas (and any of their clones, Kanines, Arachnids...) at or close to the operator's guide recommended pressures!

Pretty much all of the 'lower tire pressure' discussion on the Forum here is ONLY directed at those running alternative auto tires, with their heavier/stronger construction & higher load ratings that are well able to carry the heavier loads imposed upon them by most autos, on their Spyders/Rykers! When auto tires are fitted to your Spyders/Rykers, where the loading imposed is maybe around or possibly a bit less than one third of that imposed by the auto's those tires usually carry, that is the only time and those are the only tires that'll fit our Spyders/Rykers which are up to being operated at lower pressures than those indicated in the operator's guide!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2020 at 06:21 PM. Reason: only tires... ;-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

thanks guys. Have read the manual with attention to 123/124. I will keep the Kendra's at the pressure stated in the manual and once they are done I will be changing to a better tire. Again thanks for the reply's

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    thanks guys. Have read the manual with attention to 123/124. I will keep the Kendra's at the pressure stated in the manual and once they are done I will be changing to a better tire. Again thanks for the reply's
    I like your attitude on this ..... and Peter is 110% correct, the KENDA's are weakly made .... their physical carcass is MARGINAL .... because the rear tire is pretty wide ( 225 ) at speeds over 35-40mph causes the carcass to balloon and this results in premature wear in the center of the tire. Auto tires are the cure for this situation..... however when you switch to Auto tires DO NOT USE the higher pressures that the KENDA's must have. After many. many years of testing psi's both Peter and I recommend 15-17 psi fo fronts and 17-19 for rear depending on the LOAD you normally carry .... good luck and ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike. Always better to be safe.