Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Saddlebag Sticking

The left saddlebag on my 2020 RTL will not pop open as it should when I pull the lever. If I put inward pressure on the saddlebag while pulling the lever, it will open. Is there some kind of adjustment I can make to fix this?

Spyder Garage

Interesting.
    I've got the exact same problem with the right saddlebag.

I had a similar problem with the frunk lid and seat, but those were easily adjustable.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I had same issue and had dealer handle it. Tech said one side was easy other not so much.

Spyder Garage

And pulling on the latch on my 2020 when the saddlebag stuck is what broke the latch. when the dealer finally gets the parts, I am going to put some silicone dry electronics lube on the rubber seal.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Some times I think it's the seal, that's holding out on the cover just enough to stick the latch, and just a tap with the knee will pop it! Some times it's what you have inside doing the same thing and a knee or small push of the hand will pop it! But I also go around at least every year and give everything a spray of wd40!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Some times I think it's the seal, that's holding out on the cover just enough to stick the latch, and just a tap with the knee will pop it! Some times it's what you have inside doing the same thing and a knee or small push of the hand will pop it! But I also go around at least every year and give everything a spray of wd40!
    Mine is exactly the same. Pressure with my knee while pulling the lever gets it open. I have used WD40 on it and it helped a bit, but I sure would like it to open like it should. I'd hate to have my underwear in that saddlebag on a trip if I couldn't get it open. I guess if there is no easy fix, I can bring it to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

I have the 2020 Spyder RT and the left saddlebag will not open so I will try the knee method.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Get a flashlight. Lie down so your head is under the front of the saddlebag. See the cable adjuster. Hold the one end and unscrew the other one full turn. Try the latch. If still sticking, one more turn. The right side is harder to get to, as the muffler is in the way. The cable adjuster has a knurled stopnut. Loosen that, first. After the adjustment, tighten the stopnut. Cables stretch. Pretty easy fix.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Get a flashlight. Lie down so your head is under the front of the saddlebag. See the cable adjuster. Hold the one end and unscrew the other one full turn. Try the latch. If still sticking, one more turn. The right side is harder to get to, as the muffler is in the way. The cable adjuster has a knurled stopnut. Loosen that, first. After the adjustment, tighten the stopnut. Cables stretch. Pretty easy fix.
    Thank You!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Just did another one. Easy fix. Anybody needs help, call me. I’ll walk you through it. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

cptjam,

Worked great, thanks.
    Will
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I am happy to help. I forget sometimes that everybody is not able to get help locally, and dealers can be hours away. Our friend just pointed this out; what we do regularly is a challenge to some. I’m just happy to help. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Just made the adjustment on the right side per Joes instructions and worked like a charm!

Thanks for the great advice!
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe. Worked great.

Spyder Garage

That worked perfectly for me too. Thanks a bunch Joe!

Now if I can get my dealer to fix the misaligned pull handle assembly on the left hand case. I got the new plastic installed by the dealer and it doesn't fit all that well either. They have a call into BRP tech support and they've been radio silent for weeks now.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Bring it to me Friday. I’ll take a look. Ann’s looked horrible, and we finessed it. We are in St. George. Joe
    Last edited by cptjam; 09-24-2020 at 12:21 AM.
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

FYI. On my new 2020 RTL (it was in a crate at the dealer, and that's why it is new) I have had it in to the dealer for several issues, including the main computer going out while I was on a trip to Big Bend National Park which is 350 miles from home in San Antonio. The trunk lid would close and the lock would turn, but it was not locked. The dealer "fixed" so now it locks, but I have to slam it so hard I am afraid of breaking that thin plastic. Also, the side bags would not open. The handles would not pull open. So, it went back to the dealer, and they fixed those. Stayed fixed for a couple of weeks before having the same problem. New cables are on order from Canada. I did your fix (thanks) and it works most of the time, but maybe there is rust in the cable? I did get them to warranty add a damper on the drive belt and that fixed the 4100-4500 vibration. Whew. I thought these maintenance things would go away with a new Spyder...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2021 at 06:47 PM. Reason: runk = trunk?!? ;-)

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my wifes new 2020RT the left sticks a bit. A light push to close it harder works. We rarely open it & I have been opening the latch every ride which seems to loosen it up.

I would NOT RECOMMEND WD40 applied to plastic parts as suggested above. Silicon spray is safe
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

Yep, me too - have to do the knee thing. I'll try the fix, thank you.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Mine were tough to open also. Finally the right side handle broke off. Brought it to my dealer, "We just broke one doing the prep on a new bike". No problem, we will warranty yours. Oh, "that was the last handle we had". "Seems we had a few recently". They will also adjust the other side for me. Now, I wait with one bag unusable. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Just got mine back last week from the dealer for the same issue. Worked great last week. Sticking again this week.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    I have the 2020 Spyder RT and the left saddlebag will not open so I will try the knee method.
    Try some lube or dry slide on latch mechanism, worked on my 2017.

Spyder Garage

Reached under and could feel the what you are talking about. Was able to adjust them so easy. Now they open better then they ever have before. Thanks so much for the post.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

2020 RTL Here we go again! My left side storage compartment won’t open. I know how the adjustment works, it’s given me problems before. Flashlight, on my back reach up adjust a little a couple times both ways no change, so I pull on the side that goes up to the latch ( not the handle side ) and IT DECIDES to open but the cable breaks inside the harness. I look up the OEM cable replacement and it’s $114.00. Do you guys think maybe it might be covered by the warranty?
    I’m in Queensbury NY as we speak at the annual Spyder Quest and have had the opportunity to question quite a few 2020 and 2021 owners about this, only 1 said he hadn’t. All the others had issues of some kind with them.

Spyder Garage

To my mind it should clearly be a warranty issue, but the dealer is the gatekeeper to all things warranty so I'd talk to them about it before they wrote it up to see what they have to say. If they're being difficult move onto the next dealer since nothing would be in writing at that point.

Just a thought.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6