Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BP's Ultimate Grade Gas

What do you think of BP advertising that if you fill your tank with its Ultimate with Invigorate gas (instead of regular) you can travel an additional 25 miles? I find it laughable and a grab for money.

Using the specifications for the 2020 Ford 150, which recommends using regular gas, and the average price per gallon of gas in NY, I found it will cost 64 cents per gallon more to use Ultimate ($2.19 vs $2.83 per gal).

According to its specifications, the Ford 150 will travel 575 miles on a tank (23 gal.) of gas on regular at a cost of $2.19 per gallon for a total of $50.37. Using Ultimate with invigorate, the Ford 150 will travel 600 miles at a cost of $2.83 per gallon for a total of $65.09. $14.72 additional.

I'm not spending $14.72 to travel 25 miles; that $14.72 can buy me 6.7 gallons of gas so I can travel around 168 miles. I'm sticking with the manufacturers recommendation to use regular gas in a Ford 150.

Spyder Garage

Premium is way overpriced for what you get.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

It's not a good thing to use an octane above what the manual calls for. Besides, you're just wasting $$. Engines are "tuned" for a particular rate of burn in the combustion chamber and the higher the octane, the slower the burn. Just trying to keep it simple as per what usually happens in fuel threads, others with intimate knowledge of fuels will chime in with much detail.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Premium is way overpriced for what you get.

If you had a 93 tune it would be worth while. You have to do that on a rear wheel dyno. The factory doesn't do that contrary to popular belief. I like my factory tune so it can run whatever I put in it.
    Lamonster Riser

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    What do you think of BP advertising that if you fill your tank with its Ultimate with Invigorate gas (instead of regular) you can travel an additional 25 miles? I find it laughable and a grab for money.

Using the specifications for the 2020 Ford 150, which recommends using regular gas, and the average price per gallon of gas in NY, I found it will cost 64 cents per gallon more to use Ultimate ($2.19 vs $2.83 per gal).

According to its specifications, the Ford 150 will travel 575 miles on a tank (23 gal.) of gas on regular at a cost of $2.19 per gallon for a total of $50.37. Using Ultimate with invigorate, the Ford 150 will travel 600 miles at a cost of $2.83 per gallon for a total of $65.09. $14.72 additional.

I'm not spending $14.72 to travel 25 miles; that $14.72 can buy me 6.7 gallons of gas so I can travel around 168 miles. I'm sticking with the manufacturers recommendation to use regular gas in a Ford 150.
    I guess I'm a Heretic ..... I have owned three various Spyders dating back to 09 ( an 08 GS ) .... currently own a 14 RT ( 1330 eng. ) .... I have used 87 Oct. 99.999%nof the time. .... I have had no engine issues - Period.... I get high avg. gas mileage and not noticed a loss in power .... ( downshifting is your friend ) .... and with my 11 RSS I bagged a trophy in 14 at Spyderfest. In Vt. the difference is .80 between 87 and 91 oct. and this is the norm ..... well over 100,00 miles total so that a real amount of money, that I use for buying More Gas .... So if you like & use 91,93, 96 or Av gas I wish you well, it's your money ... not mine ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Gas threads are almost as much fun as oil threads!
    Last edited by Stache; 09-18-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Facts have no chance against opinion....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Facts have no chance against opinion....
    Which is exactly why I have been logging the gas and miles in my wife's Spyder. We did about 10 tanks on 87, then tried to do 10 tanks of 93 to see if there was a difference. One place we stopped did not have 93, so we had to settle for 90.

Bottom line: so far, I have not seen ANY relationship between miles per gallon and the octane of the fuel that was powering the bike.

<My> version of "the facts" says that we are going to stick with 87.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

This leads to question why BRP wants us to use only 91+ octane. For the same reason they want us to use crappy tires?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Is the premium gas ethanol free ??
    That will make a big difference.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have not noticed and changes of anything between E10 and ethanol free. I use both.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I will agree with the Ethanol free giving me better gas mileage and performance.
    Lamonster Riser

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Oh goody...another gas and octane thread.

I am also a heretic on this subject. Have owned six Spyders and am approaching 175,000 total spyder miles.

For years, (until 2015 or so), I drank the kool aid. I used premium because "they" said to.

In Alaska, the highest octane was 90. Regular was 87. No ethanol there. Pricing only 20 cents per gallon more for premium.

I have since switched over to 87 and have been using it ever since. For me.....it works just fine. I notice no difference in the performance of the Spyders. My mileage has actually improved to consistant 40 mpg on the 1330's. Here, 87 octane and 10% ethanol. I use it in all four vehicles. 1 car and 1 motorcycle, and 2 spyders.

It's not a money or a performance issue for me, but it works and I am happy.

Asbestos Suit: ON

Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-19-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Bottom line: so far, I have not seen ANY relationship between miles per gallon and the octane of the fuel that was powering the bike.
    My conclusion exactly, based on two summers of riding, one with regular and one with premium.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ium-vs-Regular

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Not a Spyder, but my step-dad and I have identical V Star 1300s, and took a 1,000 mile trip together in June. Same roads and speeds, same amount of stop-and-go, and same stations where we filled up. He runs premium exclusively, and I run 87 (we both run Top Tier). I averaged 1.8 MPG better than he, and when I bore-scoped his engine last year, he has noticeably more carbon on his valves, combustion chambers, and piston domes than my engine. Ethanol-free premium and a fuel stabilizer are great when a bike will be sitting for more than a month, but otherwise, lowest octane the engine allows is optimal in most cases. And remember that some manuals list the RON (Research Octane Number), while what you see on the pumps in the USA and a couple other countries is R+M/2 (an average of a fuel's Research and Motor Octane Numbers) and is significantly lower than RO alone. So those folks in the UK who talk about getting 98 octane petrol are actually getting the equivalent of about 93 octane by our reckoning.

Spyder Garage

As Paul Harvey would say....Here's a strange....
    I went to my non ethanol gas station today to fill their regular. I had previously always used their premium, but with the weather cooling, I thought I'd see what the regular would do.
    I pulled up to the pump and the kid - and the only one working then - said I can not put the regular in ,y bike, but I can put the premium in. HUH??? I asked him who told him that and he said his boss. So I fill with premium and I will phone next week to get to the bottom of this hypocrisy. Stay tuned.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    As Paul Harvey would say....Here's a strange....
    I went to my non ethanol gas station today to fill their regular. I had previously always used their premium, but with the weather cooling, I thought I'd see what the regular would do.
    I pulled up to the pump and the kid - and the only one working then - said I can not put the regular in ,y bike, but I can put the premium in. HUH??? I asked him who told him that and he said his boss. So I fill with premium and I will phone next week to get to the bottom of this hypocrisy. Stay tuned.
    I am guessing the gas jockey was getting a commission on the premium grade.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I'm thinking that too, or they told him that coz they make more profit from premium.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    My first thought was maybe the owner is a hard core Harley rider who considers using regular in motorcycles to be sacrilegious!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Out on the poor,old,slow V-Max today --- running regular grade fuel as it is not a very high compression motor---------- 45 MPG. My should do so well.

Which of course leads to the question-----What is the compression of the 1330 motor???????
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Speaking of F150s, mine is a 2017 with the 2.7. If I'm staying around town its regular 87 octane. Ethanol free when I can find it, otherwise it gets treatment. On the highway , or towing , it's the highest grade I can find at the pump. Usually Exxon 93 octane because I take advantage of their discount gimmick's. That being said, around town, lightly loaded, see about 21 to 23 MPG. On the highway with 93, I can come close to 24 MPG. This came about because I saw a couple of lines in my owner's manual ( who the hell reads those) that said words to the effect that 87 is just fine overall, but for best performance, I don't recall this minute if towing was specifically mentioned, use a higher octane fuel. And as far as Pyder goes, I can't tell the difference what I put in it. Runs about the same, just a relatively thirsty high mileage 998.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    Speaking of F150s, mine is a 2017 with the 2.7. If I'm staying around town its regular 87 octane. Ethanol free when I can find it, otherwise it gets treatment. On the highway , or towing , it's the highest grade I can find at the pump. Usually Exxon 93 octane because I take advantage of their discount gimmick's. That being said, around town, lightly loaded, see about 21 to 23 MPG. On the highway with 93, I can come close to 24 MPG. This came about because I saw a couple of lines in my owner's manual ( who the hell reads those) that said words to the effect that 87 is just fine overall, but for best performance, I don't recall this minute if towing was specifically mentioned, use a higher octane fuel. And as far as Pyder goes, I can't tell the difference what I put in it. Runs about the same, just a relatively thirsty high mileage 998.
    David
    Highway miles are typically more, if we’re talking cars and trucks. My city driving is typically 19 or 20 mpg, and on the highway I get 24-26 mpg for my 2018 Wrangler. I us 87 with 10% ethonal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Which of course leads to the question-----What is the compression of the 1330 motor???????
    Lew L
    If I remember correctly, it's 12 to 1.

However, good cooling, proper dynamics in the combustion chamber and lots of computer control can do wonders.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    If I remember correctly, it's 12 to 1.

However, good cooling, proper dynamics in the combustion chamber and lots of computer control can do wonders.

That's good to know. I know my poor, old, Dodge Magnum R/T runs better with premium ( of course I've recently added a DiabloSport Itune 3 that needs 91 octane). Just seems to me that a motor with 12 to 1 compression should use higher octane for the best horsepower and torque. Sure the computer and anti-knock sensors will dial back timing and maybe other things, But I'll take the horse power afforded by the higher compression without computer interference.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I agree with Lew L, 12:1 compression needs premium. If you are buying regular to save money, try annualizing the difference between regular and premium. It will require taking notes at every fillup for a year to learn you didn't save all that much.