Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New to us 2013 ST S SM5.

Picked up my wife's Syder today. I rode it back from Plattsmouth, Nebraska, about 130 miles, give or take. I'm a long time motorcycle
    rider, 55 years or so of riding, and mostly sport bikes, no Harley. It was different, not bad just different. Granted it was mostly interstate, but
    had no issues with wandering, bump steering, stuttering, running poorly, just ran like a top.

It's a 2013 with 4300 miles on it, yellow and in excellent condition. It seems that the cornering will take some practice before it feels comfortable.
    I just hope I don't get used to no putting my feet down at stops. LOL Luckily with the low mileage there shouldn't be much maintenance due. It
    does scoot down the road, very stable at 80 mph, even with the bit of wind there was today.

Now need to get a cover and change the oil.

Cheers.

Howard and Peggy20200917_144643.jpg

Spyder Garage

Possible,
    I bet your smile lasted for the whole 130 miles.
    Thanks
    Larry L.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your (Wife's) 'new to you' ( or your Wife's ) Spyder!

But why worry about getting a cover, at least initially?? Change the oil - sure, I can understand that; but once that's done, surely it's gonna be being ridden all the time - isn't it?? . If not, why not? It looks pretty good, even if it is yellow!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our great-grand daughter, visible in the picture, rode with me most of the way, and she did have a big smile the whole time.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to SpyderLovers.
    Congratulations on the fine new ryde.
    You chose the fastest and safest color.

Word of caution. The 2013 STS may run hot with engine air venting on your left foot.
    When you get a chance talk to your local dealer about upgrading with the 2014 airflow body panels.
    BRP has offered this upgrade FREE as a good will gesture. Many of us have this upgrade and love it.
    Lots of help here for upgrades and farkles.

2013 with air scoops.docx

2013 with vents.jpg
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Oil change & run vin double check other bulletin thing have been addressed. Believe was a gas cap, fuse cover as well as the ventilation. Mine missed out on the scoops & doing fine @ 63k miles great advice get you started
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Miles of smiles to come.(&FARKLES)
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-18-2020 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

and on your

I like yellow too.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the warm welcome. David, I had read about the possible heat issues that are corrected with the 2014 body panels.
    But to be honest, I'm not too hopeful about the local dealer being very helpful. I've had to deal with them in the past, and they are
    pretty reluctant to do anything that won't put coins in their pocket. But we will give it a shot.

I only got the one key, so we are headed down to the locksmith that says he can cut a key and program it for about $65. So we shall
    see about that.

Still getting used to the leaning, or rather non-leaning, in corners.

Any particular place you all would recommend for VIN checking?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Howard and Peggy

Spyder Garage

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the heck out of your Spyder!

I am nearing the end of my first year on a similar 2013 ST (also without the new body panels). I am rounding 2k miles on it and have never had an issue with the heat.. it seems to be specific spyder-dependent a bit. The panels inside my knees get warm, and if I'm hugging the bike with my legs they'll get pretty warm on a summer cruise but at 6' 1" that's easily solved by spreading my knees a bit to let cool air pass between leg and bike.

If it becomes a problem down the line I may see what I can do about it but so far it hasn't hindered my riding at all.

On the cornering my advice would be to still lean.. treat it like the bike is leaning and move your body position/angle so the corner force is pushing you down towards the bike as opposed to sitting straight upright on the saddle in the corner. It makes the cornering experience much nicer especially in a long sweeping corner.

The only other tip I would have is to avoid riding straight down the middle of the lane. The road crown makes the bike wobble a bit as it tries to find a good groove for the tires. If you move to the outer or inner edge of the lane your rear tire will drop into the groove left by car/truck tires and your front tires will move up to the high point on the asphalt which smooths out the steering a bunch.
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. David, I had read about the possible heat issues that are corrected with the 2014 body panels.
    But to be honest, I'm not too hopeful about the local dealer being very helpful. I've had to deal with them in the past, and they are
    pretty reluctant to do anything that won't put coins in their pocket. But we will give it a shot.

I only got the one key, so we are headed down to the locksmith that says he can cut a key and program it for about $65. So we shall
    see about that.

Still getting used to the leaning, or rather non-leaning, in corners.

Any particular place you all would recommend for VIN checking?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Howard and Peggy
    locksmith can clone the chip on 13 & prior years ,however if you buy new blank from dealer they don’t clone but have new information that needs master key & procedure to program to bike.
    Having a chip less blank [Ilco X270]is handy for opening frunk or seat but will not start. Keyport 2.0
    IMG_4712.jpg
    http://store.mykeyport.com/

Vin look up
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...y-recalls.html
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-18-2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info. I just got back from getting a key cut and programmed at the locksmith here in Kansas City. $67.12 out the door, so
    that's not too bad. He thought the Spyder was pretty cool too.

Also got it inspected and Peggy will be getting it licensed probably next week. Looks like it got a little over 32 mpg on the trip back from Iowa,
    2-up and 73-77 mph all the way back.

I also did the VIN lookup and the page said this after entering the VIN: "The result page shows only the incompleted safety recalls for this vehicle identification number."
    I would assume that is the good news.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post

I also did the VIN lookup and the page said this after entering the VIN: "The result page shows only the incompleted safety recalls for this vehicle identification number."
    I would assume that is the good news.
    Good news on everything but the bold bit! ^^

THAT bit tells you that you need to get the safety recalls done; and if your local dealer isn't too proactive about doing things like that, it might not be all that easy to get itsorted! But there should've been at least one safety recall ID/number associated with that msg, altho IIRC, I think the ST's might've had one or maybe two more?! Thinking back, I reckon tere was a Gas cap replacement; evap cannister/plumbing re-routing; and maybe the heat/acoustic panels if not the external 2014 panel upgrade?? Anyone got all the details??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!