Spyder Garage

Default Acoustic panel missing

On my 2019 RTL is there supposed to be an acoustic panel over the oil filter space? Mine doesn't have one.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I heard the newer models did not example your spyder

Spyder Garage

Just looked at the fishe on cheap cycle didn't see it but I am half blind!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Not sure which year they dropped that panel. I bought a leftover 2019 in June and when I went to install the heat vents I discovered that the acoustic panels were not there. It made the installation of the vents go a little faster.

Spyder Garage

I called the service tech at the dealer where I bought my Spyder. He couldn't find a specific "acoustic panel" on the 2019 RTL service manual views. He suggested that the exterior body panel covering the right side over the oil filter has foam glued to the inside of it. The acoustic panel I saw in a youtube video was plastic and had foam glued on it. I don't know about the foam on the body panel. I guess they changed the design and now save $1.89 cents by not putting the acoustic panel in the RT. That's it...

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    Not sure which year they dropped that panel. I bought a leftover 2019 in June and when I went to install the heat vents I discovered that the acoustic panels were not there. It made the installation of the vents go a little faster.
    My 2019 RTL was bought in July as a leftover too. What heat vents are you talking about?

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    I called the service tech at the dealer where I bought my Spyder. He couldn't find a specific "acoustic panel" on the 2019 RTL service manual views. He suggested that the exterior body panel covering the right side over the oil filter has foam glued to the inside of it. The acoustic panel I saw in a youtube video was plastic and had foam glued on it. I don't know about the foam on the body panel. I guess they changed the design and now save $1.89 cents by not putting the acoustic panel in the RT. That's it...
    This came up before, possibly here but likely a FB group. At some point they stopped installing acoustic inner panels. Likely to increase air flow.

Realize though, if the acoustic is gone, there should be support struts to steady the upper bodywork and control column.

Spyder Garage

I did see some foam padding in the pictures I looked at!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

When I changed my oil on my 2018 RTL, there wasn't any either. I believe it was sometime in mid-year 2018 they stopped installing the acoustic panel. I wonder what the sound difference is with a spyder that has one installed. You know how much noise those oil filters make. with one installed?
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    When I changed my oil on my 2018 RTL, there wasn't any either. I believe it was sometime in mid-year 2018 they stopped installing the acoustic panel. I wonder what the sound difference is with a spyder that has one installed. You know how much noise those oil filters make. with one installed?
    Funny you should mention that, I changed my oil and a few other things a couple years ago and put everything back together, fired the old girl up, up go's the door and out we went for a test drive around town! Had a nice ride, first for the year and feeling good for myself that I can still do my own stuff, and back to the barn we go, up go's the door and in we go, stop, shut it off, and what did my eye's see in the corner, but one acoustic panel the one on the right side!!!!!!! Dumb #$@!!! So what I can tell you is that for a person that needs hearing aid's if you ask my wife, really didn't have a real difference in volume as I recall , but hell can't I take panels off now!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What heat vents are you talking about?
    There was a recall of the 2013 RTs for heat issues. A big part of the fix are air scoops over the vent holes below the mirror. Several ryders have installed the air vent scoops on other model years of RTs to increase air flow under the tupperware and make the seat area cooler. Generally speaking, there is no need to add the scoops on RTs other than the 2013 RTs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)