Spyder Garage

Default Plastic coated exhaust - how do I get it off??

Ran over a dry cleaning plastic bag that caught part of my exhaust and melted on it before I could get stopped. Now it is hard as a rock. Any ideas about how to get it off without a grinder or Dremel?

Spyder Garage

heat it back up and use putty knife? Regardless you will scratch your exhaust.. I had this happen on some chrome exhaust tubes nothing would get it off

Spyder Garage

Sent you a PM Nightcruiser.

As for getting the plastic off, it won't/can't form a molecular bond with the metal, so leave it hard & peel it off in chunks. You REALLY don't want to melt/soften it again! I've found that leaving it to cool/get cold & then picking/peeling it off in chunks using a blunt tool to prise up an edge works best for plastic that's melted on. Once it's cool, most plastics will come off fairly readily, but it is a painstaking process! If you melt it or soften it again, it goes all sticky and gets EVERYWHERE, and sticks to you and everything else it touches, tripling the mess!!

Still, plastic is far easier to get off than the exploded guts of old road-kill once that's baked on!! That stuff can STINK, I've had people RUN away from my vehicle due to the strench of burnt on road-kill; and I kid you not, on one occasion that happened to my 4WD Truck, it stunk so much that I whimped out, and just cut the exhaust right off, tossed it (a looong way off too! ) and replaced the whole exhaust rather than putting myself thru removing the baked on intestines & putting up with the smell until it cleared! Just imagine this swollen & decaying donkey going 'BANG' Peeling 'hard' plastic off is EASY by comparison!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

MAYBE THERE IS A CHEMICAL YOU CAN APPLY TO SOFTEN THE PLASTIC and remove with a soft cloth.

Spyder Garage

Try Easy Off oven cleaner the brush on kind.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sent you a PM Nightcruiser.

As for getting the plastic off, it won't/can't form a molecular bond with the metal, so leave it hard & peel it off in chunks. You REALLY don't want to melt/soften it again! I've found that leaving it to cool/get cold & then picking/peeling it off in chunks using a blunt tool to prise up an edge works best for plastic that's melted on. Once it's cool, most plastics will come off fairly readily, but it is a painstaking process! If you melt it or soften it again, it goes all sticky and gets EVERYWHERE, and sticks to you and everything else it touches, tripling the mess!!

Still, plastic is far easier to get off than the exploded guts of old road-kill once that's baked on!! That stuff can STINK, I've had people RUN away from my vehicle due to the strench of burnt on road-kill; and I kid you not, on one occasion that happened to my 4WD Truck, it stunk so much that I whimped out, and just cut the exhaust right off, tossed it (a looong way off too! ) and replaced the whole exhaust rather than putting myself thru removing the baked on intestines & putting up with the smell until it cleared! Just imagine this swollen & decaying donkey going 'BANG' Peeling 'hard' plastic off is EASY by comparison!

Enjoy!
    ENJOY!! God Petter after reading this one it made my coffee taste bad!!!! I wonder if dry ice would help!! Get it really cold it may snap off easyer!
    2012 RTL , Pearl