Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT GPS power

Hi
    I searched to no avail - maybe I'm a bad searcher

I greatly appreciate advise on where to obtain power for my GPS, wire routing from handlebars, mating connector part number - where to order.

I have a red (assume +12) and a black GND wires to my GPS and approx. 6 feet of wire length.

Cheers
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

GPS power is on the right-front side of the bike. Here's what it looks like:
    Picture1.jpg

The GPS/Accessory connector is plugged into an empty socket for storage. You have to remove the 6 clip cover that gives you access to the oil filler and you have to remove the large top front body piece to be able to get to it. I cut off the current connector and ran it to where I could get to it in the future and put on battery tender type connectors and placed it near the break fluid canisters. Then I ran my connecting wires up into the glovebox. Some have reported that the polarity is swapped between the accessory connector and the wire mount harness. Cut off the connector and test the wires to make sure you know + and -. Connect as you see fit using waterproof splices or connectors and run up to where you want. I ran to my glovebox.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    GPS power is on the right-front side of the bike. Here's what it looks like:
    Picture1.jpg

The GPS/Accessory connector is plugged into an empty socket for storage. Some have reported that the polarity is swapped between the accessory connector and the wire mount harness. Cut off the connector and test the wires to make sure you know + and -. Connect as you see fit using waterproof splices or connectors and run up to where you want. I ran to my glovebox.

Rob
    Thank you greatly apperciated - to bad no one found a mating connector - easy enough to probe connector and reverse wiring out of GPS if needed.
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Step by step directions and pics in the "2020 RT panel removal" thread.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you completed installation - cut off connector and made connection. The power was correctly wired (Blue - +12V).

Plan to replaced my soldered wires over winter with 2 prong connectors for easy disconnect.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

I am a complete rookie when it comes to electrical components. I will be tackling installation of a Garmin Zumo XT GPS unit on my 2020 RTL utilizing the right side gps accessory plug like you did. Do you need to disconnect the battery cables before installation or are you ok as long as the key is off? TIA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by giantjas View Post
    I am a complete rookie when it comes to electrical components. I will be tackling installation of a Garmin Zumo XT GPS unit on my 2020 RTL utilizing the right side gps accessory plug like you did. Do you need to disconnect the battery cables before installation or are you ok as long as the key is off? TIA
    No need to disconnect the battery - there is no power to the gps wiring on the bike when the bike is off. Note that it will retain power for about 20 seconds after the key is switched off so just don't do anything during that 20 seconds.

Spyder Garage

You don't need to cut the connector off to pull the power for your GPS. I use Posi-taps and leave the original connectors intact. Re-usable and no damage to OEM wires.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lockitt-POSI-...Y1937M4EDN4GQV

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    You don't need to cut the connector off to pull the power for your GPS. I use Posi-taps and leave the original connectors intact. Re-usable and no damage to OEM wires.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lockitt-POSI-...Y1937M4EDN4GQV

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html
    Excellent point: I used post-taps on my previous RS and F3 - forgot about them - getting old has its drawbacks but beats the alternative - to late already cut it off.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

With the right tooling you can unpin and reverse the wires back into the connector properly.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't get power to the dedicated GPS plug so I ended up wiring my zumo XT straight to the battery. Once I figure out why I don't have power to that plug, I'll move my connection. Anybody have any suggestions? Nothing I'm going to do this weekend but I think it's supposed to rain next Saturday so that would be a good project.

HAGO!