Spyder Garage

Default 2020 rt limited tail lights won't turn off

Help. I pull up and they stay on.

Spyder Garage

They normally stay on for about 10 seconds after turning off the key.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Is it you tail lights or brake lights, because some times the return spring on your brake will get weak and not pull your brake peddle back enough to get off the switch, or the shaft needs a shot of lube!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 2020 RT The taillights, headlights and Aux lower bumper light stay on for awhile after shutting down bike.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Mine stays on all night

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4201 View Post
    Mine stays on all night
    Like the other Mikey mentioned above, this 'lights staying on' thing could be because the micro-switch on your brake pedal is still open, it's happened to quite a few Spyder Ryders over the years. So the next time this happens to you, try pulling the brake pedal up & see if the lights go off?! Failing that, getting some Contact Cleaner spray into that switch &/or the wiring plug might resolve the problem....

If pulling the pedal up does work at getting the lights to switch off, then it could just be that the return spring is a little bit light for the pressure you've been putting on it - heavy boots, maybe or is it possible that you've fitted a bigger brake pedal?!

Fitting a bigger/wider brake pedal might make it easier for your foot to find the pedal, and that's great (necessary even! ) but they are also usually a tad heavier than the OE Pedal, so you might need to help the return spring a little!

Regardless of the bigger pedal thing, there are threads & pics with details of suitable 'additional' or 'Extra' Return Springs that you can fairly easily fit to work in tandem with the OE Pedal Return Spring - you can search for details thru the Forum's Search Facility, or even thru Google, just add 'site:spyderlovers.com' to your search string if you do (that way, google will search the site, but do it in ways the site search engine can't! )

Or you can check out the attached pic below - it shows one I prepared earlier.... err, the extra spring some have used!

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2020 at 07:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yup! Been there and done that. Wet glacial till (AK road muck) did that all the time to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red