Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS SM failing to start?

Hello, I have this 2008 spyder that is failing to start and was hoping I could come here for advice since I have no clue what I'm doing. I recorded a video you can find here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cky1iRU3UpKtWyCp7

Basically, after clearing the startup message and hitting the ignition, there's a loud click from the side and it resets the dash and startup message.

Please help

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm far from an expert but my first thought would be battery. Load test it or swap out with new one if it is showing its age.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Sounds (& looks) like it's time to start checking things like:

• the Battery for resting and load charge (less than 12v resting or about 11v while actually trying to start = dead/dying battery);
    • battery terminals for sound cables, cleanliness, & tightness of connections;
    • relays for seating & operation (actually pull them out, check the terminals are clean & shiny, and then tightly re-seat);
    • fuses for seating (as per relays) & function (pull & inspect/test to ensure not blown);
    • ground connections onto the frame (check the terminal ends are tight on the cable as well as the frame connection point is shiny metal & the bolts/screws tight);
    • starter terminals for sound cables, cleanliness, & tightness of connections; etc, etc, ect

How old is your battery?? It doesn't really look like it's a battery problem to me tho; they rarely present with the whole thing going 'click, fail, repeat' just as brightly & quickly as it seems to in your vid.... so maybe the starter, relays, or fuses need some really intense scrutiny?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

All good places to start from above ideas But from the way your saying what's happening your hearing the starter relay click in but no starter, you know what that means? After you make sure your battery's up to snuff, I would see if I could manually roll the starter by jumping the starter solenoid, if it rolls, then I would go back like Peter was saying and check all the switches and relays that are involved in the starter circuit! Good luck!! P.S. you did check the kill switch, right??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    All good places to start from above ideas But from the way your saying what's happening your hearing the starter relay click in but no starter, you know what that means? After you make sure your battery's up to snuff, I would see if I could manually roll the starter by jumping the starter solenoid, if it rolls, then I would go back like Peter was saying and check all the switches and relays that are involved in the starter circuit! Good luck!! P.S. you did check the kill switch, right??
    Point well taken on the kill switch - it is easy to forget - ask me how I know
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Point well taken on the kill switch - it is easy to forget - ask me how I know
    Most of us have been there and done that. Ask ME how I know?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! Turns out it was in fact the battery!

Now if only we could solve the problem of no authorized Spyder shops on my island

Spyder Garage

You don't want to try it yourself? Not that hard!! You can get the battery online have it shipped! I got my last battery from Lamonster Garage, right here on the site!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl