Spyder Garage

Default 2 Up Spring Questions

I had the 2 Up Spring installed and wonder if anyone has any idea as to the proper setting to use for different weight, i.e. similar to the table in the owners manual for the regular spring?

I am not sure if anyone has compared the standard Ryker Ace 900 spring to the 2 up spring but here is what I can see.

- wire diameter identical on both, and maybe even a bit smaller on the 2 up spring but I think that is because the paint on the OEM one seems thicker than on the 2 Up Spring
    - coil diameter identical on both
    - active coils the same on both

I forgot to measure the free length and installed length of the old shock but I am having trouble seeing much difference between the two. Has anyone compared them side by side to see what the difference is? Nobody seems to know anything about the technical specs about the 2 up spring.

I am wondering if the installed length is maybe longer for the 2 up spring. Can someone measure the distance from the underside of the max mount to the top of the fender.on a Ace 900 and post that? I did that on mine and it is about 6 1/2" with the 2 up spring but neglected to do that with the original spring.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am not home so i cant measure, but i sure would like to get your opinion on the 2 up once you have tested it out riding .... i just bought a shock wrench to change to setting on the oem stock one so i can ratchet it up to the higher settings b4 i go drop the $89 plus install for the 2 up version.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    I had the 2 Up Spring installed and wonder if anyone has any idea as to the proper setting to use for different weight, i.e. similar to the table in the owners manual for the regular spring?

I am not sure if anyone has compared the standard Ryker Ace 900 spring to the 2 up spring but here is what I can see.

- wire diameter identical on both, and maybe even a bit smaller on the 2 up spring but I think that is because the paint on the OEM one seems thicker than on the 2 Up Spring
    - coil diameter identical on both
    - active coils the same on both
    Maybe it's not the dimensions of the springs that make the difference but the type of steel used. Tinsile strength and other properties.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    ...... but the type of steel used. Tinsel strength and other properties.
    That'd surely be Tensile strength you're referring to, wouldn't it canamryder?? 'Tensile' is an adjective with 2 meanings in the dictionary

1. relating to tension - ie. "a tensile force"; and

2. capable of being drawn out or stretched - ie. "a tensile steel rod"

while the noun phrase 'Tensile strength' is generally defined as 'the resistance of a material to breaking under tension'.....

There again, 'Tinsel' which is also a noun, only this one means 'a form of decoration consisting of thin strips of shiny metal foil attached to a long piece of thread' would bring a whole new meaning to the discussion about BRP's OE Springs wouldn't it?? One that really could be arguably correct too?!

Sorry, but I just hadta!! Even just the thought of 'tinsel' springs for a Spyder/Ryker really did me in!! And I am actually quite surprised at how much hot tea you can snort up & spray out thru your nose all over the place - goes a helluva long way!! Stings a bit too; really makes your eyes water!

Bloody auto-correct!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I hope some day I can shake your hand Peter!!! Some of the stuff that comes out of you is unreal!! You go man!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That'd surely be Tensile strength you're referring to, wouldn't it canamryder?? 'Tensile' is an adjective with 2 meanings in the dictionary

1. relating to tension - ie. "a tensile force"; and

2. capable of being drawn out or stretched - ie. "a tensile steel rod"

while the noun phrase 'Tensile strength' is generally defined as 'the resistance of a material to breaking under tension'.....

There again, 'Tinsel' which is also a noun, only this one means 'a form of decoration consisting of thin strips of shiny metal foil attached to a long piece of thread' would bring a whole new meaning to the discussion about BRP's OE Springs wouldn't it?? One that really could be arguably correct too?!

Sorry, but I just hadta!! Even just the thought of 'tinsel' springs for a Spyder/Ryker really did me in!! And I am actually quite surprised at how much hot tea you can snort up & spray out thru your nose all over the place - goes a helluva long way!! Stings a bit too; really makes your eyes water!

Bloody auto-correct!
    OK, so I spelled tensile wrong. That's what I get for staying up too late watching 5.5 hrs. of The Tour de France. I should have just stated "the properties of the steel used". That would cover just about everything. The spelling was corrected at post #3. Green Tea?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    OK, so I spelled tensile wrong. That's what I get for staying up too late watching 5.5 hrs. of The Tour de France. I should have just stated "the properties of the steel used". That would cover just about everything. The spelling was corrected at post #3. Green Tea?
    I'm sorry canamryker, I wasn't really having a go at you, and you did make a perfectly valid point - but because of that little spelling error or the vagaries of auto-correct or whatever, it's impact was truly as my post says!!

Immediately upon my first reading of it, even just the thought of 'tinsel springs' on the Rykers really hit my funny bone, and it did produce a surprised snort with the results as described..... and when I'd stopped crying and laughing and cleaned up the mess! ...... I figured I really DID just hafta share the result!

So I wasn't picking on your spelling, just sharing my reaction - I thought you might find it a little entertaining. I know I did....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!