Spyder Garage

Default Air filter & some questions.

Hello!

I have been trying for days to get a user friendly video that would
    show step by step removal of the "old" air filter and replacement with
    new one from local dealer, for the Can Am, 2013/ RTS-SE5 SPYDER.
    NO LUCK. Can someone help me? I've been spending better part of 2
    weeks trying to get "O" rings gaskets for oil filters, copper drain
    plug gaskets, oil filters, collant (w. anti freeze) motor oil, etc.
    etc. Much had to be ordered. This oil change, oil filters change,
    grease fittings, replacing intermittant battery, and still trying to
    replace "old" air filter is really a long, hard tasks.
    Please guide me to a useful step by step guide to replace the AIR
    FILTER.
    THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE. PLEASE ALSO, CONSIDER SENDING
    THE VIDEOS TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS AS IT'S NOT EASY TO GET ACCESS TO THE
    SPYDER LOVERS, ETC.
    DICK ST. ROMAIN

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure that there'll be any vids specifically for 'replacing the old air filter' woolley; unless maybe you find something on removing and discarding the OE Air Filter assy entirely and replacing it with something like JT's air filter - which IMHO, is a pretty smart move!

That 'lack of video's/step-by-step instructions' is probably because it's fairly straight forward IIRC, once you've got the Tupperware off, it's simply a matter of:

1. un-clipping the 3(?) clips holding the cover on (you don't need to disconnect the large air intake/induction tube);
    2. lifting the cover as much as you can;
    3. lifting, pulling, and dragging the 'old' filter out (pay attention to the way it sits in the housing, AND to how you get it out);
    4. wiping out the inside of the housing with a damp rag (just to be sure, to be sure);
    5. slipping, pushing, jamming the new filter into the housing (right way up - see above!); and
    6. clipping the cover back on before buttoning up all the Tupperware!
    7. Job done - stop any/all bleeding, comfort any wives/kids/cats scared by your swearing/thrown tools, & Open beer.... you can always get the holes kicked/punched in the wallboard fixed later.

Still, I think many get too wound up in worrying how hard it might be &/or needing to see someone else do it, either in person or on a video - most of these things are sorta self evident if you look at them as being very similar to your car - if you are able to successfully change the air filter element on your car, you'll almost certainly be able to change the air filter element on your Spyder - well, once you've got the Tupperware off and if you develop triple jointed, flexible, & extendable fingers anyway!

All joking aside, just give it a go, you will probably find it a helluva lot 'easier' to actually DO than it really is to worry over it &/or find a vid showing you how to do it - it's certainly easier than most might think, even if it does have a few idiosyncrasies or maybe some BRP provided 'stupid design issues' just to keep y'all on your toes!

Besides, what've you really got to lose? Your next birthday maybe?? I'm getting old enough to give a few of them away, what about you?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!