Spyder Garage

Default 2014 rts se6 reverse is difficult to obtain

New to me 14 SPYDER RTS SE6 with 30k. Just got it yesterday. Have a 12 RTL SE5. I'm having real issues getting the new to me 14 RTS into Reverse.
    1. Is there a specific sequence to get into Reverse on the 14RTS? The 12 RTL SE5 works fine.
    2. What are the component parts that make up this system. I understand fault codes, and switches but from the BIG Reverse and paddle shifter buttons what actual relay,actuators etc am I looking for in an orderly fashion?
    3. From the discussions I culled together its confusing me ...anyone with experience that has trouble shot and repaired a reverse issue on a SE6 not a SM6 I'd love to hear form you .

Thanks in advance!!
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You are coming to a complete stop , with your foot on the brake then pull the shifter level back and then hit the rev button? your oil is up to the mark on the dip stick?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Foot on brake
    Push R
    Pull paddle towards me

Also have tried
    FOOT on brake
    Paddle pulled toward me
    Push R

Spyder Garage

OMG I read a post about "Flicking "the freakin paddle shifter .....I assumed it was a technique that was slightly weird and mostly BS...ah no ..."flicking" is a thing on this particular SE6 transmission paddle...not so on my SE5. I'm going to just "flick" off and wish I hadn't posted at this point...sorry for any trouble !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I fully depress the " R " button ( foot on brake ), and then pull in the Paddle. This works for me ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Brake does not need to pressed to shift into R. It only needs to be to shift into 1.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I fully depress the " R " button ( foot on brake ), and then pull in the Paddle. This works for me ..... good luck .... Mike
    I guess by the sounds of it Mike we are suppose to be plucking our shifter like a banjo!!!n Silly us!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I guess by the sounds of it Mike we are suppose to be plucking our shifter like a banjo!!!n Silly us!!
    Don't get me started on the banjo jokes.....

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    .... there was no reference to " plucking " in my statement ...... nor any mention of STAR washers ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

I depress the 'R' button and hold it depressed while pulling the shifter paddle towards me. I also depress the brake pedal but that is for safety reasons never tried it without depressing the brake pedal.

I have noticed that some riders use 2 hands 1 to depress and hold the 'R' button the other to pull the shifter paddle towards the rider at the same time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I depress the 'R' button and hold it depressed while pulling the shifter paddle towards me. I also depress the brake pedal but that is for safety reasons never tried it without depressing the brake pedal.

I have noticed that some riders use 2 hands 1 to depress and hold the 'R' button the other to pull the shifter paddle towards the rider at the same time.
    If you read your owners manual you will find this exact sequence is called out. Including using your right hand to press and hold the R button while pressing and releasing the down shift paddle. This is intended to keep your hand off the throttle while shifting to reverse.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post

Yup! That's me. Two hands to complete the mission.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red