Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RSS SE5 headlight issues

After a ride today, I found that the headlights were on, even with the ignition key out.
    With the key out, they can be changed from low to high beam.
    The relay has been changed, and fuses checked.
    The 2 lower outside pins (85 & 87) on the relay are both live, the same as all the other relays
    I did not find any voltage inside the LH headlight switch to indicate a live wire, but this needs to be checked.
    Can anyone offer any idea what may be the problem here.
    The Spyder is stock standard, there is no modifications to the wiring.

Spyder Garage

did you try flopping a relay around to see if that did anything? The lights on mine stay on for a few seconds after shut off and don't know what drives that, thought it was the relay!! You say it's all stock you haven't added anything 0r done any work in there around the fuse box, where you may have pinched a wire?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    did you try flopping a relay around to see if that did anything? The lights on mine stay on for a few seconds after shut off and don't know what drives that, thought it was the relay!! You say it's all stock you haven't added anything 0r done any work in there around the fuse box, where you may have pinched a wire?
    ..... the OP doesn't state HOW LONG they stay on, we need to know this ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

After you've turned the engine OFF, by design the headlights will stay on for anywhere between maybe 5 or as long as 15 seconds or so; and if you look, you might even have tail &/or reverse lights still on too; plus, you might even be able to hear a little high pitched noise for a bit longer as well!! But don't worry about any of that, all is well! BTW, on the 998 V-Twin powered Spyders, that high pitched noise or whine will probably continue for as long as 30 mins (if you can hear it, cos it is a pretty high pitched whine & some of us have hearing that doesn't hear those frequencies so well!) cos on the 998's, it's the noise made by the electrics holding their throttle bodies closed, but it isn't necessarily so on the 1330's, which means it doesn't usually last so long for those Spyders.

However, if that's all that's happening with the lights on your Spyder, Stephen, and they're not staying on for 15-30 mins or more, then it's just a normal part of the Spyder's 'computer controlled orderly shut-down' process, don't worry, just leave it alone & enjoy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-13-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Headlights stay on for as long as the relay is plugged in after the Spyder is switched off, and the key is removed.
    The only way to switch them off is to take out the relay, and yes, I have swapped relays, and put in a new relay and the headlights just stay on, taillights switch off with ignition, never had this issue in the past 6 - 7 years that I have owned this. I presume their is a short somewhere and will have to start looking next week-end after looking at the wiring diagram and trying to work out where the problem may lie. Nearest dealer is 950 miles away, so work has to be performed by myself, BUDS show no errors.

Spyder Garage

I asked you from the start if you have done anything to the bike that may have pinched a wire, you didn't really answer. I am wondering, and I am just tossing this in the pot, if you have not done anything at all and this thing has just started out of the blue, if maybe the key switch has a short in it and it's allowing power to that relay!! Some things holding that relay closed right? When you take the relay out it go's out, but if you plug it back in do's it come back on? You should have to take the key out to make that light go out, it should stay on for less than a minute and shut off! That relay is seeing power from what you telling us!! Electrical gremlins suck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenaspr View Post
    Headlights stay on for as long as the relay is plugged in after the Spyder is switched off, and the key is removed.
    The only way to switch them off is to take out the relay, and yes, I have swapped relays, and put in a new relay and the headlights just stay on, taillights switch off with ignition, never had this issue in the past 6 - 7 years that I have owned this. I presume their is a short somewhere and will have to start looking next week-end after looking at the wiring diagram and trying to work out where the problem may lie. Nearest dealer is 950 miles away, so work has to be performed by myself, BUDS show no errors.
    950 miles ..... and you will probably have to leave it there ..... since you can shut them off via Relay removal .... I would seriously consider putting an On-Off switch in the headlight circuit...... jmho ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

No electrical work done on the bike, and it just started after a short 30 mile ride on Sunday.
    As mentioned above, there is power on the 2 lower relay pins (85 & 87), the same as all the other relays in the fuse box.
    This is not normal wiring, so I will have to check wiring diagrams when I find some time and try to work out what's happening.
    I would not consider using my nearest dealer (950 miles away) again, they had the Spyder for 5 months, 2 years ago before they diagnosed a faulty spark plug lead.
    Have already thought about an inline switch, but would prefer to keep it standard and find the problem, I was just hoping that some-one else may have experienced this issue.