Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Question: 7.4V pump with SPyder 12V system

I bought a Cycle Chiller system which sounds like a great idea. The problem is the pump is 7.4V and I have read that running an item that has lower voltage on a higher voltage system can damage the item. In this case the pump. Of course, since this system is made for persons with motorcycles and The four I have owned have all been 12V systems, I’m wondering why the company did this. They even provided a system to connect directly to the battery using SAE connectors or to a cigarette lighter that is 12V.

I’ve actually had one pump go out and company sent a battery saying I am the first to connect to a Spyder with the system and suggesting it may be the power of the system. I can run wires and stuff like that but I do not know all the ins and outs of these things so your help will be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you sell a system that cant handle 12 VDC? And to keep in mind it wont be 12VDC once running it will be higher since the alternator will be running.

Spyder Garage

Default Cycle Chiller Batteries

You probably need to be using Lithium Polymer (Lithium Ion) batteries. Each single cell is 3.7V. Two cells equal 7.4V. You can buy single cell, 2 cell, 3 cell, etc.

I use them all of the time for my electric RC airplanes.

Here is an example of a 2-cell Lithium Polymer battery made for RC planes, helicopters, cars, etc. The

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...en_us_products

The terminology is:

1300 mAH = 1.3 Amp Hours Capacity
    2S = 2 cell in Series
    20C = Discharge Rate

However, I would strongly suggest you contact Cycle Chillers and ask them what batteries you need. The photo seems to have large plugs for the battery. I could not find anything regarding batteries on their site.

Good luck!

Joe T.

OK,

I looked at their site a bit more. You can buy the battery needed and a charger for ~$40. They are Lithium Ion batteries. But, I bet today they are Lithium Polymer batteries. They are interchangeable. Extra batteries are available, too.

https://cyclechillers.com/product/battery-and-charger/

Joe T.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

You need a Waterproof Dc-dc Converter 12v to 7.5v Step Down Power Supply Module shouldn't be more than five or ten $ on Amazon or ebay check amps draw of pump to make sure you order the right converter. You want one the same amps as the pump or higher .7b42d732-ad28-44f4-9fc9-2a4f53cc56b0.jpg
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

I did get a lithium battery that is 7.4 volts. I’m thinking they may actually have wanted that to be the case. However, the coverter (ddjim) would be great since then I do nto have to worry about running out of power.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve learned a few things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsprain View Post
    I did get a lithium battery that is 7.4 volts. I’m thinking they may actually have wanted that to be the case. However, the coverter (ddjim) would be great since then I do nto have to worry about running out of power.

Hook the Dc-dc Converter up to the Customer Accessory Circuit not directly to the battery so the converter powers up with the engine running and doesn't drain the battery
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsprain View Post

Did you check out the recommended battery? You can have more than one battery for use if you need more than 8 hours of cooling.

https://cyclechillers.com/product/battery-and-charger/

I'm not sure why you would risk the electrical system of a VERY EXPENSIVE motorcycle when you can solve your problem for ~$40.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

I wasn’t planning on risking the electrical system of the motorcycle. I was asking a question about voltage etc.

Spyder Garage

I knew that, but I was wondering about the voltage issue because they sent the cigarette lighter adapter that has nothing on it about converting to 7.4 volts.