Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020RT FM radio on working in garage

Any way to turn lights off while playing radio (bike not running).

I'm plugged in to battery tender - keeps up with lights on and radio playing

Any way to turn lights off while doing this - taillights and front fender lights on

Basic accessory mode in cars
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found an older video 2011RT - you could turn0ff key then immediately hit and hold mode button and bike would be in accessory mode - play radio no lights

Doesn't work on my 2020 RT
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Interesting, my 14 RT has the tail and fender lights on but NOT the headlights, also the emergency will function ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Spent a whole $30 to put a 110V radio with USB thumb drive player in the shop. It will play BT off the cell phone too. It don't run the battery down and plays even if the battery is disconnected. It will run on a couple AA batteries too, but there is a 110 plug already there.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Just a thought...I have at least three radios in the garage, all not being used. A couple will work off batteries but all three plug in.

Why not bypass the Spyder radio and lights issues, and just turn a regular radio on. If one does not have one...they are pretty cheap these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Just a thought...I have at least three radios in the garage, all not being used. A couple will work off batteries but all three plug in.

Why not bypass the Spyder radio and lights issues, and just turn a regular radio on. If one does not have one...they are pretty cheap these days.
    You are right - Plenty of music sources here - thought to add another - oh- and only the running lights come on
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

I bought one of these a couple weeks before christmas at best buy for $150.00. It last for days on a charge and sounds great!
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-sr...?skuId=6195450

XB-41

6195450cv16d.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    I bought one of these a couple weeks before christmas at best buy for $150.00. It last for days on a charge and sounds great!
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-sr...?skuId=6195450

XB-41

6195450cv16d.jpg
    Oh my goodness I bought a similar speaker has 2 speakers, USB last for a long time on a charge for under $25. I am not being critical but I hate to see anyone pay this much for a great unit for $25.00
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

This is the one I got. It was $30. I put it in an old broke microwave oven on the wall to keep the dust and stuff off off it. Been playing when ever I am working out there for years. I mostly play thumb drive music. All the radio stations now play music that repeats about every 30 minutes. It gets old if you working all day. 32 Gig thumb drive will hold 5,000 songs and play for days without a repeat. The weather man lies, the news is all lies.......... I am just there for the music.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    Oh my goodness I bought a similar speaker has 2 speakers, USB last for a long time on a charge for under $25. I am not being critical but I hate to see anyone pay this much for a great unit for $25.00
    LOL, its all good. I prefer sound quality over price. Mine was 1/2 off over the holidays so Im happy.
    I cannot stand poor sound quality period and the less expensive ones just didn't do it for me, and I like it LOUD so I don't have to be in the same room to hear it.
    Oh and the BT signal strength is good enough to have my phone anywhere in my house without a hiccup.

Back to the spyder, I would like to know why they don't have an accessory mode? Maybe they decided its just not worth the headaches from having dead batteries all the time.
    My past Gold wing 2006 wouldn't last 30 mins with the radio on acc probably due to the electronic liquid crystal display, so the spyder is the same with a big display that sucks the life out of the battery quickly.
    I hope BeRight find his comfort zone on his other post too. Hope I don't have the same issue but for now its the 2018 that's killing the knees.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I just play music through my Samsung Galaxy.
    I have Amazon Alexa and can play all my music through the Alexa App on the phone.
    The sound quality is more than adequate, especially if I'm concentrating on working on the Spyder.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I installed an Alexa Echo Dot in the garage so I can now open the garage door via voice, play streaming music, ask questions, or stream from my phone. It also is an intercom to the units in the house.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited , Champagne Metalic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    Back to the spyder, I would like to know why they don't have an accessory mode? Maybe they decided its just not worth the headaches from having dead batteries all the time.
    I guess you weren't aware of it, but the RT accessory mode would shut down when the battery voltage dropped to 12 volts. That was to prevent exactly what you're saying.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    This is the one I got. It was $30. I put it in an old broke microwave oven on the wall to keep the dust and stuff off off it. Been playing when ever I am working out there for years. I mostly play thumb drive music. All the radio stations now play music that repeats about every 30 minutes. It gets old if you working all day. 32 Gig thumb drive will hold 5,000 songs and play for days without a repeat. The weather man lies, the news is all lies.......... I am just there for the music.

I love the features of this unit with the USB stick input. My question is how do you select the songs you wish to play from the USB. BTW they have a newer model now listed with micro SD card input as well as radio for $30 bucks. How can you beat this let me know about the control of USB song selection
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    I love the features of this unit with the USB stick input. My question is how do you select the songs you wish to play from the USB. BTW they have a newer model now listed with micro SD card input as well as radio for $30 bucks. How can you beat this let me know about the control of USB song selection
    There is no selection of the songs on the USB drive. It just plays whatever songs are on the drive. You have to load them on the drive without folders to play them. I have several other players that work the same way, so it is no problem. I just put the USB stick in and let it play through. All the songs are from my own music collection, so all of them are songs I like. It is stereo.....has a speaker in each end of the tube.

You can select the songs that play when you have it in Blue Tooth mode, by selecting which favorite list you play on your cell phone. I usually put that in Shuffle order play. I also have a small MP3 player that will Blue Tooth to the Pyle and it will play folders or shuffle.

Mine will also play SD chips or mini-SD Chips with an adapter, but I have never used that feature. The radio is kind of hard to select the station. It doesn't have a digital read out. Once you get the station you want set, don't load any more. Only 3 or 4 stations are in range of where I live anyway. I mostly just play the usb sticks. Got 5 or 6 of them with different sets of songs on them.

I don't know about the newer one that is available. Mine is a couple years old. It does play plenty loud, even when you are working and making other noise. There is also a built in battery incorporated in the unit that will charge up while it is plugged in to the 110 AC. Once it is charged up, it will play for hours on the built in battery. Not sure how many hours. I have played it 3 or 4 hours on the rechargeable battery.

Spyder Garage

Being able to play music without the bike being in fully on mode was a good feature, there should be a way to may that happen on the 2020. If anyone find a solution post it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by m109anc View Post
    Being able to play music without the bike being in fully on mode was a good feature, there should be a way to may that happen on the 2020. If anyone find a solution post it.
    I agree - not just playing in my garage but when stopped somewhere for a bit of social distancing get togethers.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod