Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How to Mod 2020RT riding position to be closer to F3- any ideas?

Reason: I gave my perfect condition 2015 F3-S to my brother ( his first 3 wheeler - he loves loves it) and as of yesterday I have a 2020 RT. In riding the RT for 1+ hours I got sharp pains to right hip and right knee.

I took a break and road to my brother's - pains returned during ride. I took a 15 minute break and hopped on "his" F-3 did a 1 1/2 hour round trip ride - zero pain.

I concluded - Dah! - riding position/narrower seating area.

I love everything else about the 2020RT and would like to keep it - allot for the money given $2k instant rebate from BRP and dealer not charging freight/setup/doc fees. Love the better wind protection to rider/smoother ride/heated grips/radio/GPS Aux interface/looks/ etc.

Even without pain issue I need handlebar risers and or F3 handlebar and a better seat+backrest and highway pegs to raise legs (haven't found anyone that makes them - maybe DIY).

Any/all ideas greatly appreciated

Hopefully I don't have to sell/trade it in for a F3-T.

P.S. I did a demo ride on a 2019 RT, in 2019, and had no pain - probably because it was a shorter ride - stupid is as stupid does.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

You're sitting on the RT and were sitting more in the F3-S is my first and best thought. Consider a Russell Day Long seat but I believe you have to send them your seat so they can use the pan.

In the no cost area, how limber are you? Stretching exercises or some yoga might help on a short term trial basis.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You can always change out the handlebars for a more comfortable ride. For me, I ended up putting the F3 "Long Reach" bars on mine.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Try the Comfort Seat and change the handlebars. I used the F3 Attitude bars and love them.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice so far - all worth a try
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps my journey for a pain free ride will help others.

Reflection: I've been actively riding motorcycles for 2+ decades. 2 wheelers until 2008 when I bought first Spyder RS that I road thru 2015. Decided to tone down my riding style with a 3- wheeler (member of 150 club multiple times on 2 wheelers).

2015 is when I first experienced Right hip+ Knee pain riding Spyder RS - 2015 F3 was first introduced and I traded-in my RS for the F3 (not having ridden one before hand).

Got lucky - F3 brought pain free riding thru 2020, plus of course lots of smiles for 5 years.

2020RT got my attention for its looks, amenities, value for the money (lower than what I paid for 2015 F3 ), my desire for a riding style change once again - more chilled longer journey's vs. fast shorter rides - plus it was perfect timing to give F3 to my brother (that's another story).

Didn't get lucky this time - pain returned with 2020RT on first ride (80 mile ride - pain at about 70 miles).

I've decided to do baby steps toward saving my RT - maybe less will be good enough.

I plan to keep it and ride it thru next spring no matter what. No pain no gain-

Late Nov. thru February usually brings few opportunities to ride (super cold and snow) - but I do ride as low as 38F -trade-in value shouldn't be much different. Plus I've always been able to ride year round in MD.

Baby step 1: Installed backrest, Ordered 2" riser and knee+hip compression wraps. Plan to order, later today, Dave's gel/memory foam driver seat insert. I've modified and reshaped seats before in my 2 wheeler days.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and support in this journey.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

I had pain other places, neck and between the shoulders but the F3 short reach factory bar and factory backrest was a total game changer for me. Now just perfect for me and I am sure I can ride 500 + miles a day. Not many years ago I did 1000 mile days on Gold Wings so am confident at age 76 500 + miles will be attainable. My discomfort was bad enough it was a deal breaker I either had to fix it or sell it. I am still amazed at BRP and why they put these bars on a touring model and/or don't offer a choice.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi
    Just got back from a 60+ mile night ride - 60's clear skies - just perfect weather and little traffic - my first night ride - loved it.

This distance is typical of 95% of my riding until spring.

Wow headlights are great. Best I've ever had on any vehicle.

Progress: with just backrest, Airhawk pad (butt better), and compression hip and knee wraps under riding pants - I experienced only a small amount of pain during last 2 miles - nothing to write home about.

I, for sure, need closer handlebars and will give Dave's seat insert a try.

I ride almost everyday and will report any changes.

Next update will be after handlebar risers install.

I am 5'8, 32" shirts sleeve length, and 30" inseam. I sit up straight in very back of seat and my arms reach out perfectly straight for grips and my foot reaches brake pedal without stretching out.

I don't think the risers are going to be enough. If not which handlebars would you recommend?? I'd hate to go through handlebar selection like I did windshield's on my 2015 F3-s. I went through 3 windshields and just gave up - even custom designed windshield brackets with help from a fellow Spyder rider in Phoenix,AZ

Cheers

P.S. Riser is on backorder from Lamonster - looks like a bunch of 2020 Spyder purchase.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am close to your size, I think the attitude bars would have worked for me, but I instead went for the 'short reach'. They were OK, but a bit close. I did what some others did on the short reach, I hacked the steering pin off, adjusted them to my reach and torqued the four bar bolts down as required; rock solid. Works fine for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I am close to your size, I think the attitude bars would have worked for me, but I instead went for the 'short reach'. They were OK, but a bit close. I did what some others did on the short reach, I hacked the steering pin off, adjusted them to my reach and torqued the four bar bolts down as required; rock solid. Works fine for me.
    Hi, I'm wondering if the standard F3 bar would work?? The short reach bar is recommended (BRP website) for heights starting at 5'. I know the dynamics are different on the RT but it would be interesting to try one - I might if I find a really cheap one.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the recommendation

Cheers
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the recommendations. Already backordered risers from Lamonster - so I have to wait.

Those Helibars look impressive - $$$$$ - i'll definitely do more research on these.

Cheers
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BeRight, my pleasure, trying to pay it fwd if I've had the experience. I get good information here for a newbie for the most part, if I get a grumble, I back off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BeRight, my pleasure, trying to pay it fwd if I've had the experience. I get good information here for a newbie for the most part, if I get a grumble, I back off.
    I'm been on and off this site since 2008 and I find that the vast majority are very supportive and helpful. I even post my careless and not well thought out mistakes - lessons learned for me and maybe others.

A rare few grumblers - I do the same as you - just ignore and more on to other posts.

I'll never forget, nor never stop appreciating what many others here have done to help me. One of the larger efforts was by Lamonster in 2008. With continued guiding and quickly answering my posted questions, I was able to replace a long muti-point wiring harness in my 2008 RS which fixed a ton of ills. I try to pay forward by posting here and buying his products when I need/want a new mod. He is quality as a person and only sells quality tested on Spyder's/Ryker's products.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Beans, I don't have to tell you anything about SpyderLovers, you are one of the 'old timers', so I'll follow. Be safe.
    Wm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Thank you for the recommendations. Already backordered risers from Lamonster - so I have to wait.

Those Helibars look impressive - $$$$$ - i'll definitely do more research on these.

Cheers
    You will love the HeliBars. I had mine put on at the dealer before I even took receipt of my 2020.
    The floorboards on the 2020 RT are indeed impressive.
    Still, you might investigate the possibility of highway pegs.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    You will love the HeliBars. I had mine put on at the dealer before I even took receipt of my 2020.
    The floorboards on the 2020 RT are indeed impressive.
    Still, you might investigate the possibility of highway pegs.
    Thank u for suggestion: I've been looking for highway pegs to no avail. Investigating rigging up something temporary to try. Right now the Helibars and Tri-axis are out of my price range - maybe in the spring if all else fails.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Just go trade the RT for a F3 is the only way to stop the pain! I rode a RT Limited and my hip would get out of joint and be painful! I had two RT Limited in a row and both of them caused me hip pain, even when I added foot pegs further up! I didn't learn fast, so it was expensive to keep trading. In 2018 I bought me a F3 Limited and I haven't had a hip join pain since! It's the only way, just get you a F3.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Just go trade the RT for a F3 is the only way to stop the pain! I rode a RT Limited and my hip would get out of joint and be painful! I had two RT Limited in a row and both of them caused me hip pain, even when I added foot pegs further up! I didn't learn fast, so it was expensive to keep trading. In 2018 I bought me a F3 Limited and I haven't had a hip join pain since! It's the only way, just get you a F3.
    Thank u for sharing - good and bad to know another is having my same experience with RT. I agree it is a high probability that I will have to trade for an F3.

There is a large dealer about the same distance from home (1hr ride) as my very small dealer. They have several used varieties 2020 RTs with low mileage (600 - 900 miles) on their website. I called and they were all trade-ins - wouldn't share why. Gets one to thinking that maybe we are not the only ones experiencing pain.

I did a virtual video doctor visit yesterday with my Doctor of many years (she is also a motorcycle rider).

After a very good half hour discussion of my RT hip/knee pain experience - her bottom line was get off the RT NOW DO NOT RIDE IT AGAIN! Basically her take the damage that is being done to my right hip and knee with each ride is cumulative and at some point - probably soon - the pain will not go away after a ride.

Am I going to stop riding RT - No - stupid is as stupid does - I am said to be hard headed sometimes - OK maybe more than sometimes -

I have two more things I am going to try - low $$ investment. - plus winter is coming up in November and the RT will be garaged for most or all of it.

Towards end of winter and before spring I'll be looking for some version/year F3 if my mods over the next two weeks don't work.

I got a very good deal IMHO on my new RT ($2k instant rebate BRP + below MSRP (before rebate) with no additional charges - except tax/title/tags/registration to Maryland. so it should lesson $pain of trade.

Other than the pain, I prefer the 2020 RT over my previous 2015 F3-S for many reasons.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ciropractor once a month

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    ciropractor once a month
    good point - if it works it would definitely beat popping pills

Without pills - compression hip and knee wraps under riding pants does help me ride longer before pain kicks in. So far my body has to adapt to the RT, rather than RT adapting to me (although I'm still working on that).
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No highway pegs yet available for the 2020+ RTs as far as I know. The TriAxis bars are ONLY for the pre 2020 RTs. Any F3 bars will fit the 2020+ RTs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    No highway pegs yet available for the 2020+ RTs as far as I know. The TriAxis bars are ONLY for the pre 2020 RTs. Any F3 bars will fit the 2020+ RTs.
    Good to know thank u - I'll search for used F3 bars since many/some have replaced them.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod