Spyder Garage

Default Need electrical experts

Yesterday I took my F3-S in for a rear tire change at my dealer. After the change I stopped for lunch before heading home. I cranked the Spyder and backed out of the parking space. I went to push the paddle into first and nothing happened. I looked at the cluster and it was blank. Nothing on the screen and the speedo and tach read zero. I then tried to put on the emergency brake and nothing. But the motor was still running. So I shut the motor off. Tried to restart and nothing. So I called the dealer and they sent a truck and trailer to pick me up. After about an hour they had me running again. The tech said a battery cable was loose and a 10A fuse on the left side fuse box had blown. This fuse controls the TCM, DPS, and cluster. So I left the dealer thinking that everything was OK. Stopped for fuel and it happened again! This time I replaced the fuse and rode back to the dealer. I had to catch a ride home as they said they couldn't look at it again until next week.

The tech asked me if I had added any options to the Spyder recently and I said no. Perhaps a wire got chafed when I hit a bump causing a short or the DPS is going out? I don't think it has anything to do with the cluster. The tech said he would trace all the wiring from the wiring harness next week and also test the DPS. Any ideas out there?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Blown fuse.... you gotta find out why..... trace wiring on that fused circuit.....get yourself a wiring diagram.....look for chafing on wire looms rubbing next to steel frame . Since fuse affected instrument cluster, suspect wiring from fuse box to cluster.... guessing here. Sometimes just pulling or should I say repositioning the wire harness may eliminate shorted wire to ground. Enjoy!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I just received a call from the dealer and they found the problem. A wire from the accessory switch that controls the fog lights was rubbing against the frame when I turned the handlebars to the right. Eventually the insulation wore off the wiring and when it would touch the frame the 10A fuse would blow. I am thankful they found the problem and were able to look at it today!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red