Spyder Garage

Default wet weather and electronics and seat

I have read somewhere that the seats on the RTL will absorb water if not covered when its raining and your caught out. Is that true? How much of an issue is it? Also what about the speakers and electronic controls? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Some of the aftermarket seats maybe! I have washed my bike scrub the seat and jumped on and rode, haven't really found that it absorb water to the point of getting a wet butt!! Your electronic they for the most part are water resistant like a boat would be, as long as you don't take it to a car wash and hold the spray wand hard on some thing it will take the beating! The bike is made to take a rain shower, it will hold up better than it's driver!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

What Mikey said.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Wiv wot bofov em'says!

Apart from a little condensation inside the glass covers on the analogue gauges (which dries off & evaporates out pretty quickly once I start ryding) I've had a heap more trouble with the seat being hot after parking in the sun than I ever have with it being wet after parking or ryding in the rain!

Now admittedly, that may just have something to do with the fact that we have more hot days here in South Oz than than we have wet days; but when we have wet days we tend to REAALLLY have wet days And I really don't avoid ryding in the rain all that much either.... to the extent that we've more than once ridden for 18 hours straight (apart from gas, food, and pit stop breaks, anyway. ) all in toad drowning pouring rain!! But while I've had 'soaked seat' concerns with quite a few of my previous bikes (Japanese, European, and American) I've never had any concerns with my OE Spyder seat getting wet to the extent that it's been uncomfortably so when I've come back to the Spyder after a break or even after leaving it parked outside in the rain overnight!! It's just a matter of wiping off the surface puddles & damp, climbing aboard, and ryding off!

Might be a tad different if I'd left it sitting in the snow without a cover, but I don't do that; and it could be different if I always leave a lambswool cover on it, or have an a/mkt seat; but with my OE BRP seat, no worries - ever!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-11-2020 at 05:28 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Electronics wise, the oem setup is pretty good at not being disturbed by water or rain. You should verify the fuse box cover seals are in good shape. Also might look close at the frunk access cover seals while there.

If you have aftermarket electrical items such as powerports or lighting, those can see potential problems. I know they are popular with some aftermarket installations, but PosiTaps can create concern points over time. Higher quality, not always higher priced accessories often are more environmentally sealed and do well.

Spyder Garage

While RT seats are made to be water resistant, Murphy was an optimist. There is a seat rain cover, PN 219400722, $99.99, that fits all MY2019 and prior RTs. It has a zippered pouch for a driver backrest and fits both OEM stock and Comfort Seat. My bride gave me on as a birthday present a couple of years ago and I have ridden in some hellacious rain for hours with it. The only minor detractor is the material it's made of is somewhat resistant to one intentionally sliding around on the seat; you must make a distinct move to change position. I like it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO the material the seats are made from is water-proof ...... But the seams leak terribly ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I with BLUEKNIGHT that the stitching on wife's standard RT seat got her pants wet for days after being in a hard rain. So we put the BRP cover on hers, problem solved. I have the RT comfort seat on mine that does not have the stitching on the flat seat area so mine doesn't have any problems.

Spyder Garage

A great question...and so far every answer is a good one.

I have been through many rain rides. I had a problem only ONCE. In my case, a sparkplug wire was exposed to the water from the road, and every time I drove through a shower, the bike would start acting up. It drove me nuts for about a month. The dealer finally figured out what was wrong.

I am always careful about washing the bike, around the gauges, electrical switches etc. I recently washed the F3 and had electrical glitches for a couple days. The water got sprayed on the area instead of wiped gently.

They are supposed to work in the rain, etc. but occasionally, there can be a glitch.

Two incidents in 160,000 Spyder miles, I think is indicitive of the situation.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-11-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I like seeing that globe and anchor. Retired Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman) SARC Most of my almost 25 years were with Recon, Force Recon

Spyder Garage

Semper Fi, Doc!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    A great question...and so far every answer is a good one.

I have been through many rain rides. I had a problem only ONCE. In my case, a sparkplug wire was exposed to the water from the road, and every time I drove through a shower, the bike would start acting up. It drove me nuts for about a month. The dealer finally figured out what was wrong.

I am always careful about washing the bike, around the gauges, electrical switches etc. I recently washed the F3 and had electrical glitches for a couple days. The water got sprayed on the area instead of wiped gently.

They are supposed to work in the rain, etc. but occasionally, there can be a glitch.

Two incidents in 160,000 Spyder miles, I think is indicitive of the situation.
    Every now and then I go around my bike with a can of wd40 and give every thing a little spray, switches, cables, hinges, locks, every thing!! Works great
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I don't know if it would work but it would be worth a try. Get some tent seam sealer and seal the seat stitching on the seats. Might work.