Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default So i bought a Ryker 900 ace.... a 400 mile review.

I recently bought a 2019 Ryker 900 ACE, after a month or so of stalking everyone here as a guest, after hours of watching you tube videos and reviews, i pulled the pin a month ago. In this post i will guide you through my buying experience, thought process and reasoning on my decision to buy what accessories that i did. This post is to help those who are intending to purchase or are in the process of purchasing, please note I live in Canada so the buying process may be different where you live, but the fundamentals are the same.

20200905_154330 (2).jpg

ME
    I am a 62 year old male, i have been licensed for a motorcycle since i was 16 and never owned a car till i was 21. I have had a variety of bikes and some are in my profile album under "bikes i have had in the past". I love long distance touring and have done numerous 6000 mile plus trips, mostly from Simcoe, Ontario, Canada riding out to the Western US States and the Mid West States. I am obviously not a nube and over the years i have somewhere around 300K motorcycling miles under my belt. As age advances, my long distance touring are sadly now done ... hence the Ryker.

The Buying experience
    So i decided to pull the pin and left the house on my current bike at the time, a loaded 2016 Versys. As i like to buy local, i went to the closest Can Am dealer near me. I dealt with the Sales Manager at that location , was informed the only 900 they had was a 2020 Rally which was not what i really wanted but i had a look anyway ... this bike was so beat up, scratched up and as a new bike was generally showroom abused. When i asked if he could get what i wanted from another Dealer, his answer was NO and they would not be getting any more inventory till Nov / Dec of this year. My overall impression was that he was totally disinterested in pursuing the sale. I left that location and rode to his competition approx 60 miles away.
    At the next Dealer, it was like night and day .... Firstly he was totally attentive, interested in a trade, had the inventory on site with all 3 Ryker models available, crated in 2019 and 2020 model years.

I was not interested in a 600 as i do a bit of 2 up riding with the wife, and as i said before, it was the ACE 900 that was my choice. He inspected my trade, was interested in offering a acceptable trade price. I have a history of purchasing "new Non Currents" so a crated 2019 was on the table, there were Factory discounts in play for the 2019 which influenced the purchase. I also gave him a list of accessories that i want on the bike at pick up. They are as follows ..

Passenger comfort seat
    Drivers comfort seat
    back rest
    Max mount
    Linq 16 ltr top case
    Adrenaline red panels and hood cover
    Bike cover
    OEM knee pads
    OEM Wheel decals and inserts
    OEM hand guards and covers
    Bike cover

I gave them a 2 week window before i would pick up the bike. One thing with Can Am pricing .... there is no discounting that i could see, whether between dealers, E Bay or both US or CDN Amazons. As a Trucker, i have the option of purchasing either in the US or Canada, by the time i add the exchange in the pricing is around the same. I bit the bullet. Financing was quickly approved and paperwork was signed.

Here is the kicker.... $699 PDI, $650 freight, $350 dealer processing fee and $350 for installing my $2000 accessory purchase. WOW... that does not include the price of the bike or the lack of work that they had to do on the deal ... i was a motivated purchaser with great credit, why am i paying for the privilege of the rest of the duds that waste their time. In my mind that totals over $2000 of mostly BS charges. The main issue here is all dealers play the same game ... there is little to no way around these charges. I did call around and the charges are on par with other dealers ... Its the price here of owning a Ryker.

The Pick Up.
    I arranged with the dealer to pick up the bike on a Thursday giving them a 2 week window to un crate the bike and get the accessories on it, you would think this would be plenty of time ... yes ....NO. Fortunately i bought someone in a car with me to pickup the regular seat pieces etc made obsolete by the comfort seat install. There were no wheel decals and the knee pads were still in a box, the hand guards and covers and the bike cover were on back order. I had to go back and pick these up 2 weeks later, they offered no adjustment to the install charges despite being asked. I ended putting them on myself.

My Aftermarket Accessories.
    Ironically, i had ordered a bunch of accessories from Sling mods the day i purchased the bike ... some of these arrived for pick up by me at a UPS store in Detroit, remember i live in Canada, i am a trucker and Sling mods offer free shipping in the US so i pay no taxes and customs duties or exorbitant freight rates.. The day of the pick up i rode home ... first time i ever rode a 3 wheeler. It was a great ride home in sport mode and i was not disappointed in the least.

Upon arriving home the first install was my front grill guard and LED light bar ... an easy install, just take a little time. I am a mechanical Nud Nik ... but i can follow a you tube video, Tuf skins canard, air scoop, rear fender, key, gauge bezel, and brake light pulse kit were installed. I was looking for accents when i ordered my accessories, i had no interest in "over doing " the bike. Knee pads, gas cap,convex mirror inserts, hopnel organizer, glove box liner and heat shield were installed as well. 2 weeks later i have installed the hand guards, wheel decals and my pedal commander.

I still am awaiting a couple of accessories which are avail for pick up in Detroit ... tuf skins tank protector , of which i will only use half of it, tinted license plate cover, a side cup holder and a ultra guard cover, the can am cover i got sucks. I have a 18 inch sport, dark tint Mad Stad windshield on back order.
    How much was all this ... around another $2000 and while this may seem expensive, i have had other bikes and spent a few $$$:s more. Pictures of my installed accessories are on my profile and for anyone who is interested, your viewing.

The one accessory that i would like to talk about is the Pedal Commander ...
    20200905_153635.jpg
    this is probably the best $ for $ accessory that one can buy ... it changes the whole bike from mild to wild at a push of a button. 2 up riding in eco mode is painful and the commander overrides this mode. Spirited solo riding enters a whole new world, and while i ride solo in the "city number 4" mode, it will still light up the rear wheel on request at 25 mph. In sport plus mode setting 4, it will burn the rear tire off it. i would suggest that caution be used in the higher setting modes until riding experience is gained. Anybody who questions the torque from this motor should be surprised with this add on. This does not add horsepower, it changes and offers 100% instant throttle response and is 100% plug and play. What a awesome accessory.

Overview

Currently i have put down around 400 miles {600 kms} of which 150 miles of that have been 2 up. The bike defiantly has its nuances and take a little getting use to, lane control on undulating left to right uneven roads makes an interesting ride 2 up. That the bike does not come with a shock adjustment tool { any bike i have had always come with one} surprises me. Over all i have been very pleased with my purchase , its an exciting ride, a load of fun. The wife likes the comfort and if mommas happy, we are all happy. At the first service i will be going to the OEM "2 up Shock" to make sure she keeps happy.

Knowing what i know now after a month or so ... would i do it again .. you betcha.
    20200901_171541 (3).jpg20200901_171716.jpg20200905_153828.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Ryker group. I am about the same age and motorcycle experience. I purchased a Ryker Rally and have added the BaJa Links and Sway Bar, Corbin seat, Treal Performance exhaust, F4 Customs windshield, Pedal Commander, and a few other items. I mounted the Pedal Commander on the bars at first and then moved under the left panel and control with my iPhone. It is a lot of fun to ride and think you will enjoy it.

Currently Own: 2019 Ryker Rally
    Previously Owned: 2019 F3 Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your ryker purchase and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

I am also about the same age and motorcycle experience. Sounds great that it was soo easy for you (and your wife) to change to the 3-wheelers. We needed some 1000ends of miles to find out how to handle that in the curves, we used a Spyder RT before. ryding here in the Alps..
    My wife was not happy with the original backseat. so I had to make a lower and wider cushion on the max-mount. We have 13.000 miles we love her, no really problem, runs fantastic !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kbtm6JEV8
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats