Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warped rotor?

Spyder Garage

Default Warped rotor?

We have an ongoing issue with our 2015 RT limited. What seems like a warped rotor on the front left wheel. What happens when applying the brakes is a pulsing in the brake pedal and hand brake (after market) and an obvious vibration in the left front fender. One thing that seems odd is that the condition is not bad when first starting out but after some time the pulsing and fender vibration become almost violent. The rotor was replaced a couple of years ago without any significant change. Our Best warranty is coming to an end and we want to have it looked at again. It seems unlikely that the rotor would warp and then return to a neutral state after sitting for a while. Because of the pulsing, it seems unlikely that anything other than a brake component would be causing this. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Are you still running ANY OE Spec Kenda tires? You wouldn't be the first to discover a vibration like that came down to a dodgy Kenda tire &/or the rim being either out-of-round or just so poorly constructed it caused those issues!!

If you can, try swapping your (front) tires & rims with another set - preferably from another Spyder, & preferably from one that doesn't have this pulsating/vibrating fender problem; but if you can't do that readily, even just swapping your existing wheels from one side to the other might help with the diagnosis, especially if the fender vibration changes to the other side along with the wheel.

Only please do tell us what you do along those lines & if it makes any difference at all.....

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are not running Kenda tires however not sure why there would be a vibration only when the brakes are applied? If the wheel was out of round I would think it would vibrate all the time.

Spyder Garage

You can check rotor warpage with a large piece of glass and feeler gauges. As the rotor heats up the warpage could increase thereby increasing the pulsations and fender vibration. No, having warpage completely disappear and then reappear is extremely unlikely to virtually impossible. Although I've not heard of it with Spyders, some automobiles in the past, particularly Ford Explorers to my knowledge have incurred warped rotors as a result of improperly torqued lug nuts.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

JayBros,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Had the Spyder serviced recently where brake pads were replaced and the dealer said try that and see if it solves the problem. The first thing I did when I got it home was to remove then torque the lug nuts. How much warpage would it take to make this happen and when I remove the wheel will I have access to make the measurement or do other components need to be removed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    JayBros,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Had the Spyder serviced recently where brake pads were replaced and the dealer said try that and see if it solves the problem. The first thing I did when I got it home was to remove then torque the lug nuts. How much warpage would it take to make this happen and when I remove the wheel will I have access to make the measurement or do other components need to be removed?
    I think you’re going to have to replace the brake caliper. With my experience with similar issue. That’s what I had to do.

Spyder Garage

splake0,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Were you experiencing the same symptoms and how was it determined the caliper was the issue?

Spyder Garage

splake0,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Were you experiencing the same symptoms and how was it determined the caliper was the issue?
    Did not happen on a Spyder but happened twice over the years on my pickup. First Replaced pads. Didn’t work. Second replaced rotors. Did work for long. Thirdly repacked brake caliper. Solved the problem.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes, correctly diagnosing the problem and finding the offending part(s) is 95% of the cure. Rather than throw parts and money at the problem. There are some things that you can do to, at least, eliminate some possibilities.

It could be a tire problem, as mentioned above. Not likely with the symptom's your having. But still possible.
    It could be a warped rotor issue. Very possible. I've had a number of customers replace rotors several times, only to have the problem re-occur.
    It could be a caliper problem causing a rotor problem. This is easily checked. Wear on the front pads should be fairly even. If one pad or both pads on one side are wearing faster than the other side. This is an obvious clue. You can also ride for a distance without using your brakes at all, pull over, coasting to a stop without using your brakes except at the very end to come to a complete stop. (Finding an uphill run-out area helps) Then check the front calpers/rotor temps. They should both be at least cool, if not cold. If one side is significantly hotter than the other. Then you have found your culprit.
    It could also be worn A-Arm bushings. These will give you a definite shudder when braking. Simulating a warped rotor. You can check this by elevating the front wheels. Taking a firm grip on the wheel and forcefully moving it forward and back. Feel/listen for any movement or slight clunking sounds.

I hope this helps. It will be interesting to find out what cures your problem.

One suggestion. You can get 2 EBC rotors for about the price of 1 OEM rotor. EBC rotors are of a much higher quality. I've had customers who have warped as many as 3 sets of front rotors. They installed a set of EBC rotors and never looked back. I've never had a customer warp an EBC rotor yet. If you find a warped rotor is your problem. This is definitely the way to go.

You have to purchase 2 rotors for the front as a set. Because the EBC rotors stop better than the OEM rotors. You can't replace just one side. This would give you uneven braking at the front. Which would create a very bad situation.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-07-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

JayBros,

If you remove the left wheel you get the best view of the brake pads and how close they are sitting to the rotor. The first thing I would do is,with the ignition turned off, press and release the brake pedal and see if both pads retract when you release the pressure. One or both of the pads may be lightly kissing the rotor but there is nothing wrong with that. I recommend if you are going to handle the rotor use nitrile gloves so you don't contaminate the it with any grease and be prepared to clean the rotor with brake cleaner or alcohol before reassembling everything. You could use the eyeball method and turn the rotor to see if there is visible warpage. It you cannot detect visible waprage, switch to feeler gauges and see if the rotor binds up as you increase the thickness of the feeler gauges. If you want to try the plate glass method you will have to remove the caliper but that is only two bolts. There should be thread locker on the bolts and it may take some muscle work to break them loose. Clean and apply Blue Loctite when reinstalling the bolts and torque them to 50 lbft. If you remove the caliper, DO NOT let it hang by the brake fluid line. Also, if you remove the caliper press both of the pads outward to fully retract the pistons and it will make it much easier to slip the caliper over the rotor. When you have reinstalled and torqued the caliper depress the brake pedal several times to reseat the pads close to the rotor. I think it would be quite unusual if there is a problem with a Brembo caliper but Murphy was an optimist.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't think it's a tire problem as this has continued beyond a tire change. I will look at the pad thicknesses and have done a similar temperature check when stopping at the end of the day and have not felt a significant difference in temperature with being able to touch and hold both the front rotors. Would the A-Arm issue cause a pulsing in the brake line?
    By the way, I have your sway bar and love it.

Spyder Garage

JayBros,

Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

When you put your hand brake on, is that when your problem started? You sure you bled all the air out of the system when you did it? Just putting it out there!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Mikey,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. No, it has been a problem right along.

Spyder Garage

You jack it up and spin the tire a little at a time do feel a slight drag on that side, like a pad rubbing?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't think it's a tire problem as this has continued beyond a tire change. I will look at the pad thicknesses and have done a similar temperature check when stopping at the end of the day and have not felt a significant difference in temperature with being able to touch and hold both the front rotors. Would the A-Arm issue cause a pulsing in the brake line?
    By the way, I have your sway bar and love it.
    Yes, worn A-Arm bushings can give you some pulsating at the brake peddle. I think it is the shaking action that causes this. But I am still leaning towards a warped rotor. But don't rule out anything. Fixated or Tunnel vision is bad in just about every situation. I'm not there. I'm just guessing.

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

Thanks again, I will jack it up tomorrow and do the A-arm test and look at how even the pad wear is and if I don't see anything there I will order the new rotors that you suggest. I'm assuming a pretty simple install?

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

Thanks again, I will jack it up tomorrow and do the A-arm test and look at how even the pad wear is and if I don't see anything there I will order the new rotors that you suggest. I'm assuming a pretty simple install?
    Yes, the good news is the rotors are quite easy to install. You have to remove the calipers. But you may have to do this anyway to really get a good read on the pad wear. However, since you have already done the rotor/caliper temperature test with no significant difference. It would be unlikely to have a caliper or pad wear issue. If you can't get any movement out of the A-Arms or Tie Rod Links. I'd say you've narrowed it down to a warped rotor. I wish I could guarantee this for you. But I feel pretty confident that a set of rotors will cure your problem baring loose suspension components.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-07-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    ...But I feel pretty confident that a set of rotors will cure your problem baring loose suspension components.
    If there are no suspension components involved and you switch to EBC fully sintered pads and rotors (you needn't do all three wheels at once but when you have all three done) and follow Ron's instructions for pad installation and bedding in, the brakes will stop you like the hand of God.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

JayBros,

Thank you

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

Thank you very much for your help!

Spyder Garage

My RTS 2015 had warped rotors my fenders would shake very time I would use my brakes, replaced them rotors from baja ron worked perfect.

Spyder Garage

The rotors can warp on one side only if the caliper/pads stick and cause the brake pads to drag and overheat the rotors. If the caliper is sticking on the one side and overheating, that will cause the problem you describe.

The good news is, it's an easy fix however. A full disassembly and a good cleaning and lubrication of the appropriate parts should solve the problem, if it exists. (Many shops just throw parts at a problem without going the extra yard to figure out why.)

The bad news would be the rotor would need to be replaced again, but not necessarily the pads. That would depend on the wear. I would suggest, like Ron said, replacing it all with EBC rather than OEM. OEM is Brembo, which is a top notch company, but who knows if BRP/Brembo is sourcing their parts in China and just relabeling them under license.

(The original Spyder brakes were a kind of Chinese Brembo knock-off that were rather garbage.)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    The rotors can warp on one side only if the caliper/pads stick and cause the brake pads to drag and overheat the rotors. If the caliper is sticking on the one side and overheating, that will cause the problem you describe.

The good news is, it's an easy fix however. A full disassembly and a good cleaning and lubrication of the appropriate parts should solve the problem, if it exists. (Many shops just throw parts at a problem without going the extra yard to figure out why.)

The bad news would be the rotor would need to be replaced again, but not necessarily the pads. That would depend on the wear. I would suggest, like Ron said, replacing it all with EBC rather than OEM. OEM is Brembo, which is a top notch company, but who knows if BRP/Brembo is sourcing their parts in China and just relabeling them under license.

(The original Spyder brakes were a kind of Chinese Brembo knock-off that were rather garbage.)
    The calipers are Brembo. Very good quality. But I believe the rotors are BRP. Part #'s have changed at times. But I am not convinced there has been any real change in the OEM rotors since the beginning.

Spyder Garage

Contrary to popular belief, warped rotors don't normally cause a brake vibration because as the warp travels through the pads the brake fluid simply moves out of one caliper side across to the other caliper side so there is no gripping/releasing of the rotor. However, there is a tendency for the rotor to contact the pads with the alternate high spots of the wiggle and this gradually causes patches of the rotor to be a little more worn. These worn areas are slightly thinner so the rotor will now be of varying thickness. It is the varying thickness rotor which causes the wheel to judder as on each revolution of the wheel the brake is applied with varying grip.

But, there is an issue with Spyders where the hub flange where the rotor clamps against is not machined as accurately as it should be, this causes the rotor to wiggle much like a warp and it produces similar uneven thickness of the rotor as the rotor taps the pads twice on every wheel revolution. The judder then becomes twice wheel speed. I think it is likely where folk believe they have multiple instances of warpage that they have an inaccurate hub which causes uneven wear on the rotor no matter how many times they change them.

Checking the rotor for warpage is simple, you need a dial test indicator (DTI), quite cheaply purchased at a tool store, attach it to the suspension anywhere that is suitable, place the gauge plunger against the rotor and turn the wheel.

Checking for varying rotor thickness is also easy, you need a micrometer and simply measure the thickness at various points.

Now, checking the hub flange for run-out is very tricky because the wheel studs are in the way and likely need to be removed.

So you need an alternative to identify whether you have a warp or a bad hub.... Remove the rotor and wipe it clean. You need a straight edge and feeler gauges or very good eyesight! Feel the rotor for a lip at its edge where the pads have not been contacting the rotor and identify where around the rotor the lip is at its maximum on one side of the rotor. Mark that point. Turn the rotor over and check for a lip on the other side and identify its maximum. Mark it. If the maximums are diametrically opposite on opposite sides it is likely you have a hub flange inaccuracy.

If the maximum wear patches are random you'll likely have a warped rotor.

It is of course possible that you have a very even warp which is exactly 180° out but extremely unlikely.

I do have a video of the inaccurate hub issue and its remachining also showing a before and after rotor run-out. Unfortunately Spyderlovers is unable to accept video uploads.

For info, maximum allowable rotor run-out is 4 thou (0.004") but this is a wiggle not a thickness variation.

Good luck with finding an accurate solution. The issue is not uncommon.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.