Spyder Garage

Default New Shocks / Suspension Fault

Hello,
    Since installing my new M2 shocks this spring (front and rear) I've been getting a "suspension fault" message.

I believe the new rear shock spring, that was preset from Marcus for our riding weight in holding up the bike better now and doesn't need the use of the air bag to keep the bike level and is messing with the bikes computer since the rear air bag is flat.

My question is.....how do I eliminate the "suspension fault" message from appearing every time we ride?...Just annoying.

Thanks for your time and help!
    P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never had any issues when I switched to the M2 shocks. Did you check the switch on the swing arm yet?

Spyder Garage

I assume it has something to do with that switch also....but How can I check it without going to the dealer?.....Or should I since it's under warranty yet?
    I just didn't want to spend a day riding there just for them to tell me it has something to do with the new heavier rear spring.
    Should I even tell them about the new shocks?

Thanks for your time,
    P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

You may have to take it in and have them reset the ride height settings with budds! I am not quite shore how that whole thing works, but a telephone call could get you pointed in the right direction! Good luck, let us know how you made out!! P.S by any chance when you put the shock on did you unhook the leveling sender? Maybe taking that out of the loop may help!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention....the fault code ONLY come on when riding TWO up after 25-30 min or riding....and clears once I turn the bike off.

I did unhook the leveling sensor arm when I put the new shock in but hooked it all back up afterwards.
    Looks like a call to the dealer....at least.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Take care,
    P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

Have you pulled the numbers?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I believe one code is C210A ......I'll double check them the next time it comes up.... and post them.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Air bag deflated.....check that the ACS switch arm is connected.
    If it is, disconnect the arm, key on engine running, move ACS arm manualLy to see if air compressor kicks in to inflate bag. The air bag is there to control ride height.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You got a picture you can post of the switch? Mine is still hooked up and compressor never turns on. Even when two up riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the Error Code Appears Momentarily If the error code appears momentarily on the multifunction gauge, it indicates a disparity between the requested and the actual suspension settings. To deactivate the error code, turn the ignition key to OFF position then wait a few seconds. NOTE: Ensure that vehicle maximal load capacity is not exceeded.

The code posted was not in may manual.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also did you adjust the rear shock spring height?

Spyder Garage

No I didn't adjust the rear shock height from Marcus......but it did seam a little longer when I installed it.

I just went out and messed around with the leveling arm/switch that controls the air compressor since the bag is completely flat to see what would happen.

I unhooked the leveling switch arm from the swing arm, and with the bike running I moved the switch arm manually all the way up, to simulate a heavy load on the bike.
    And nothing happened..... no air compressor noise and no air went into the bag......still flat as can be.
    So it seems to me either the leveling switch is bad or the air compressor is not working to fill the bag with air.
    My guess is the compressor since I know there known to go bad.....

Am I on the right road in diagnosing the problem of the "suspension fault"

Thanks again for your time and help!!!
    P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

HEY P.W. No issues from my M2"s, Hope you can get this figured out soon! Riding season is getting short. Check fuses up front

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Well if you are trying to get the compressor running I believe you have to have it in gear and running! But my compressors been shot for two years and I hooked it up direct from the bag to the shrader, and my light has never come on! That's why I mention unhooking the switch on the leveler box and take it for a spin! See if you throw a code! Will it do it when you ride solo? Or is it when you ride double? Is the bike sagging a lot when both of you get on? See what I think is happening is the bike see's the ride height lower than what it wants the bike to be, so it's trying to tell you there's some thing wrong! Try unhooking the leveling arm and ride it, see what happens, because there are a ton of people out here that have done just what you have done and have not had a problem! Or if it's sagging alot when both of you get on the bike, leave the arm hooked up and crank your spring up a little till it holds the bike up a little higher when you both get on! I willing to bet this light may go away!!!! Good luck, you'll get it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could put a meter on the switch and see if it is working too .

Where is your adjustment on the dash saying? What level bars are you set at?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You could put a meter on the switch and see if it is working too .

Where is your adjustment on the dash saying? What level bars are you set at?
    Switch, you mean the control switch or are you saying switch regarding the potentiometer that follows suspension movement?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ACS Position Sensor Ground Circuit Continuity Test 1. Remove rear cargo module. Refer to BODY subsection. 2. Disconnect position sensor connector. rmr2010-036-009_a 1. Position sensor connector 3. Set the FLUKE 115 MULTIMETER (P/N 529 035 868) to Vdc.
    4. Start engine and release parking brake. 5. Let vehicle run at idle in 1st gear. 6. Measure voltage as per the following table. TEST PROBES VOLTAGE Pin 1 (BK) Battery positive (+) post Battery voltage (± 12 Vdc)

Spyder Garage

I would just try unhooking the wires to that, just to see if it will stop throwing the fault codes! He doesn't need the bag at all with the new shock! All he really wants to do is not see the codes popping up, I believe!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Switch, you mean the control switch or are you saying switch regarding the potentiometer that follows suspension movement?
    You are correct.

Spyder Garage

Here's what I might try doing since I really don't need the air bag system to hold the rear of the bike up anymore Since I have a heavier "adjustable" spring...... I might try putting more preload on the spring so the bike only sags as if I were the only one on the bike. I never have a code problem when riding single.
    If the ride becomes to harsh from to much preload I can always back it off to where Marcus had it set and go to game plan "B"

P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exactly adjust the spring some but then you may have to adjust the dampening a bit or it could get harsh over bumps. It took me some trial and error to find my sweet spot.

Spyder Garage

We just went through this with my wifes 2018 F3 Limited. Ours was after putting on Elka shocks. We went to one dealer 3 times and BRP had them check and reset the switches and then they ended up replacing the compressor and it still did not fix the problem. We worked with ELKA and set the shocks to the min and max specs.....still with no fix. We finally went to a different dealer who again worked with BRP.....then they asked the question to BRP that we had been bringing up....."RIDE HEIGHT"

There is a way that the dealer can set the ride height with the computer system and some weight (I believe the procedure by BRP to set ride height is using 200 pds and the computer system). Problem fixed!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps

John