Spyder Garage

Default Shop Labor rates

I just bought a new 2020 RT. I wanted the bars swapped to short reach bars, based on my 5'5" height and past experience. The labor quote from the dealer was $380. I looked in the Flat Rate manual and the swap is listed as two hours, which seems to be a generous time allowance. That makes the hourly rate $190 and that seems unreasonable to me. My plan was to enjoy the luxury of having someone else maintain my new machine -- not going to happen at that rate. Maybe it was just a 'quick-n-easy' gouge.
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Maybe this stealer thinks your ryde is a 2019 or earlier RT?????
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I changed my bars myself in about 20 minutes, that 2 hours is way too much, I would suggest getting a
    service manual and doing the work yourself and save a lot of money or find another dealer if possible.
    My local dealer's labor rate is $88.00 per hour for example.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

i saw this Labor Rate sign @ a CAN AM dealer in New Brunswich, Canada a couple yrs ago....
    20170718_132552.jpg
    working on your own ride, is half the fun of owning one of these toys....
    good luck.
    Dan
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Most common labor rates are in the $125 per hour range.

I experienced $130 in Alaska when I was there. Here in Arkansas I have gone to shops where it was ballpark $80. I am talking August 2019 and April 2020. May have went up due to Covid and lack of work.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-06-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do it easily. Maybe there's a video available to get you started in the right direction.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I've been riding 57 years and for the first time (this year) I rode on tires that someone else mounted. Of course, they didn't do it right and I ended up correcting their errors. I'm reading the service manual now. Careful there in Portland -- I'm in Central OR.

Edit:
    I checked the service manual and the bar swap seems simple. My only question is: Is there enough wire length to accommodate the reduced reach bars?
    Last edited by ButterSmooth; 09-06-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: new info

Spyder Garage

Buttersmooth.....
    I have never done a bar swap, but from what i've read on this forum, there is enough wire if you undo some zip ties.
    So far. none of the crap going on in Portland has been near where we live. However, I am keeping my powder dry and heating up the tar and stocking up on feathers for running mayor Squealer out of town on a rail.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Did one yesterday. 8 bolts, 4 clips. To the OP, get the bars, get the tools, (3/8 drive ratcheting wrench, 1 set of metric Allen sockets) call me. I’ll walk you through it. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Did one yesterday. 8 bolts, 4 clips. To the OP, get the bars, get the tools, (3/8 drive ratcheting wrench, 1 set of metric Allen sockets) call me. I’ll walk you through it. Joe
    Changing the bars won't be a challenge. How to deal with the dealership about the situation is more problematic. Was it an intentional gouge or a mistake? They are assembling the bike on Tuesday (8th) and I plan to call early (before they start) to tell them to give me the bars and remove the labor charge. My expectations are if it was a mistake, they will fix the amount. If it was a gouge, they will start whining.

If it was a gouge, they will never see me in their service department again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    ....... If it was a gouge, they will never see me in their service department again.
    You may want to have a conversation with the service manager. And, if you are purchasing the bars at additional cost, make sure they don't keep the originals (that you paid for too). They may be of little value to you but someone will want them and the dealer doesn't deserve them.

The local dealer here had hourly rate of $100 per hour EXCEPT for Can Am products. They Charged $125 for those. They since have changed so the rate is the same for all products they sell. And guess what? It is now $125 for everything..... Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I understand...... I was riding Harley so old the local dealership would not work on it. I am older than dirt and wanted to get a new bike that I could let somebody else do the work and I could just ride it. It was not a question of money. All my dependents have good jobs and their own families. I could afford to have somebody work on my bike. The problem came up when the local dealership had no idea what they were doing. They wanted me to bring the Spyder to them and maybe a month or two later they might call me to tell me it was ready. I would be much worse off than I was with the 20 year old Harley and doing all the work myself. I bought the new Spyder and just the fact that it doesn't have 350,000 miles on it makes it a lot easier to maintain. I am still doing all the work myself. I have the money to let the dealer do the work, but I don't trust them. There is no way around it. If you want it done right, do it yourself.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    ... I am still doing all the work myself. I have the money to let the dealer do the work, but I don't trust them. There is no way around it. If you want it done right, do it yourself.
    I used to think I was pretty savvy. But the number of times I've had to relearn this lesson suggests mebbie not so much... My concern in this case is when I need BUDs, where do I go? Why can't there be competent, honest people? I had tires mounted on my Scout and discovered the axle hadn't been tightened. It was done at a shop with a great reputation.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2020 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display