Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I really think I need an F3

I bought my 1st Can Am Spyder around the 1st of the year. Currently riding a new 2018 RT Limited. I've been on 2 wheels most of my life and I always thought of myself as a fairly aggressive rider but always had that low side fear in the back of my brain. Of course, with the RT, there's no possibility of a low side. The more I ride (I know, it's supposed to be spelled rYde ), the more aggressive I want to ride. I want to take the curves faster and faster. For the last few months, I've been seriously considering trading my RT in for an F3T/L but haven't had the opportunity to test ride one yet. I've had offers but they never quite pan out. Sometimes it's due to my schedule, sometimes not.

Anyway, every F3 rider I've listened to has said they handle better than an RT at least partly due to sitting slightly lower in the bike (as opposed to ON the bike like my RT). I love my RT. I've added a few hundred dollars worth of "stuff" (mostly lights) to my RT and since I just bought it (and the fact that it was a new 2018), it's financially stupid to trade it in. I already know there are about $1500 worth of stuff I'd feel the need to buy as soon as I bought an F3 ("real" windscreen, backrest, Pierres floorboards (since Lamont doesn't seem to sell the RIP boards any longer), fog lights and fender lights). I'll loose what I paid for the extras on my RT. My payments will be higher (I got a pretty decent deal on my RT), too.

I guess I'm just rambling, thinking about whether I should do this.

HAGO!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I really think I need an F3

I agree.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

You can make your RT handle better with Ron bar and better shocks as well as better tires. All the things I did to our 2014 RT. My 2015 F3S still handled better, but I also did the same mods to it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post

Anyway, every F3 rider I've listened to has said they handle better than an RT at least partly due to sitting slightly lower in the bike (as opposed to ON the bike like my RT). I love my RT.......

....I guess I'm just rambling, thinking about whether I should do this.

HAGO!
    Of course, other ryder's milage may vary, but I've done a fair few track miles (& road miles too) on both RT's & F3's, and when timed around the track, there is VERY LITTLE (if any!) measurable difference between my times on either/any standard Spyder F3 or RT models, except that the 'best prepared'; better tyred; or best modded to suit that particular track Spyder is usually the one that is marginally faster.... But I'd hafta agree that the F3's can certainly FEEL as tho they're handling better &/or going faster - altho I too suspect that's because most Ryders actually DO sit IN an F3 rather than sitting ON an RT!

So I'd suggest that it is really all fairly subjective & the result of how it FEELS to any particular ryder; altho that 'feeling' is not necessarily measurable or truly reflective of a true 'difference' in handling of any model over the other! Which really means it all boils down to YOU having a bit of a ryde on an F3, maybe even doing that back to back with a ryde over the same section of roads on your RT, and deciding what FEELS best/most satisfying to you.

But for me'n mine & my 2 bob's worth, I'm gonna stick with MY RT (improved to meet my needs/wants) and we'll keep on watching the F3's disappearing in the rear-view mirrors as we leave them further & further behind us thru the twisties!

Over to you
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2020 at 03:40 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The new RT series, from 2020 onward has that F3 low look with the RT luxury items. Has that been considered?

Spyder Garage

Well...I have put over 9K miles on my 2019 F3L since December of 2019. As mentioned before on SL, I am loving it a lot. All you say is true. Lower, a bit easier to handle in the curves. I do NOT miss the electric windshield on the RT, AND the OEM short windshield, I am still using it because I LIKE IT BETTER THAN THE RT ONE.

Only you know if its good financially for you. I have done similar over the years and lost my shirt on trading one new Spyder for another. I did have FUN though, and I had the latest and greatest (for me).

I currently have one of each. RT and F3. I like my new F3 best and Linda is now the driver of the RT. She likes it a lot, so I have a win-win going on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Although I am an F3 guy and a spirited rider, for much less that you'd lose in a trade, stick with what you got and make the above suggested improvements. Front car tires and the Bajaron swaybar in themselves will dramatically improve the yee haw factor. Then, if you want more yee haw, install premium aftermarket shocks. But do each one at a time, so you will know what they did to make for better handling.
    I am practicing what I preach - I just replaced the original Kenda front tires with Federal Formoza tires and learned that I have less rolling resistance, much better straight line tracking and more grip in the corners. For less than $200, that's a lot of bang for the buck. Later, I will install the Bajaron swaybar. I may stop there, because the cost of premium shocks has me shocked.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the reasons why I think an F3T/L would be a good fit for me is legroom. I don't have enough. I'm not particularly long legged but after :45 or so, my knees start getting uncomfortable. I've got a set of Pierres floating floorboards which help a little but they raise my feet. What I need it to be able to do is to push my feet out at about the same level.

As far as adding to the current RT to "make it better", that's what I started to do when I first bought it. One of the things I bought was a BuRP Comfort seat. It gave me a little more leg room but made me lean forward to reach the bars. Of course, on a pre-2020 RT, the only way to pull the bars back is to spend another grand. I could make my RT into a pseudo F3 but at what price?

PMK--I thought about a 2020+ RT base model (I don't need the trunk) but I can't justify spending an extra $4k. Like I said, I'm pretty much going to lose my arse the way it is. Not saying I wouldn't buy a 2020 RT for the right price but the likelihood of that happening is slim.

Thanks for the comments, all. Any comments are welcome. Maybe there will be something I'm not thinking about that I ought to.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

And add a Pedal Commander to you RT.

Spyder Garage

I started on an RT, bought an F3 for my wife 2 years later and ended up with 2 F3s 6 months after that.
    The RT just never totally fit me on any rides over 100 miles, even 1 up. .02

Spyder Garage

I would ride an F3T or L and if it is what you like and want. Sell your RT outright. No trade in. And you should be able to buy an 18 F3L for the same price. They haven't changed enough to buy new. Only thing you pay extra is the sales tax. Win Win.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I think the biggest difference would be riding position. The F3 is much more cruiser like whereas the RT is a standard riding position.

Here is an interesting site to check out, it will let you input your body size measurements and see how you will sit on a multitude of bikes: https://cycle-ergo.com

In any event, if you can test drive it and like it better, and can afford it, then go ahead and take the plunge. In a year or two, you wont remember the extra cost but you will be happier with the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took the Can Am Spyder rider course over a 2 day period where I had the opportunity to ride every model through the course...... I bought the F3L because it handled the best..... having said that.... change the sway bar out, it worth it.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

All right I think you should just have two, one of each and ride the one you feel like riding on that day!!! Seems simple to me It's like a Lay's potato chip, you just can't eat just one !
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hey, Monk!
    I bought your Comfort Seat. That, coupled with the Triaxis Bars, (that were on my RT when I bought it) for me, is the perfect fit. I ended up getting a Utopia backrest since BRP won't sell the Comfort Seat Backrest mount without the BRP Comfort Seat Backrest! (Imagine THAT!) With BRP, it's ALL or NOTHING! Anyway, I'm finally comfy! Hope you soon figure out what to do!
    2014 RT-S SM6 , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I think the biggest difference would be riding position. The F3 is much more cruiser like whereas the RT is a standard riding position.

Here is an interesting site to check out, it will let you input your body size measurements and see how you will sit on a multitude of bikes: https://cycle-ergo.com

In any event, if you can test drive it and like it better, and can afford it, then go ahead and take the plunge. In a year or two, you wont remember the extra cost but you will be happier with the bike.
    I am shopping a Spyder, providing these cycle ergos is really helpful - Thank you

Spyder Garage

Monk, Lamont doesn’t make the RIP boards any more, but he has replaced them with flat Black Diamond boards, unlike Pierre’s boards which kick up at the front. Just be aware that I and a couple of others have had issues with Pierre’s boards in position 5, when the brake pedal contacts the front left edge of the board, preventing full depression....Pierre was working on a solution, but has been silent on the issue for over 12 months now........just something it would be worthwhile researching. I took Pierre’s boards off and went back to Lamont’s RIP boards.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Interesting that in position 5 some owners have found the brake pedal contacted the board. I no longer have my F3T but was one of the early adopters of the ultimate boards and I never had any contact between the brake and the board. I wonder if some manufacturing tolerances changed on the position of the brake. I had a 2016 F3T. I haven't noticed any other members mention this on the site.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 F3-S Special Series, riding position 5. My first addition was Pierre's Ultimate Footboards. I have had no issues with brake pedal hitting footboard. Even after installing a larger brake pedal it didn't hit. I did eventually install a spacer between the pedal and it's arm, just to ensure that as the miles and pad wear increases even if I get more pedal travel my brake will still not hit footboard. Bought mine at end of April, a little over 4000 miles now and I have enjoyed every one of those miles!

When I took my Spyder in for it's initial service I did sit on a couple different newest versions of the RT and other F3's. As for me I much prefer sitting in the F3 than on the RT. The RT is a very nice ride but I feel much more connected to the bike on the F3.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was torn between the F3T/L or the RT base model. I added up all of the aftermarket things I knew I'd get and came up with a lower overall cost on the RT (which I got a couple weeks ago). I'm sure the F3 would handle a little bit better but I think the RT is probably a little bit more comfortable. I can add car tires and a sway bar to this to enhance the performance/handling (and probably will add car tires sooner rather than later). I decided I wanted the larger dash and the better wind management of the RT. I don't think I'd have been unhappy either way. They're both great machines (or would that be "machynes"?)

Spyder Garage

You can make your RT handle better, as mentioned above. But it will never be an F3. 2 different machines targeting 2 different riding styles. Each does a very good job of satisfying its intended audience. But everything has its trade-offs. There is no 'Perfect' ride. You have to determine what is most important to you and be willing to live with the trade-offs that come with it.

I think the RT is a great machine. But I'm just not an RT guy. I know that I'm an F3 guy (though I don't own one). I am more than willing to trade comfort and storage space for performance.

You will definitely take a big hit in the wallet if you do the switch. I would be very sure it's what you want to do. But the entire reason for riding is to enjoy the experience. If you're not satisfied with the RT, throwing more money and upgrades at it may be the worst of the 3 options you have.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-23-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ron and that's why I am happy with my F3L as I ride quite aggressively. As far as comfort goes, I got an Ultimate saddle used and then we went to our go-to seat customizer and had it shaped to our seats. He corrected my riding posture by moving me back a thankful inch and widened the passenger's perch to make the wife more comfy. Did I mention that heat was added?

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2851.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Might be the 1st time I've seen a single (all 1 piece) F3T/L seat. Interesting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Might be the 1st time I've seen a single (all 1 piece) F3T/L seat. Interesting.
    It's an Ultimate I bought used that wasn't the Ultimate in comfort for either of us. This is why I never do mail order seat buying or customizing. I gotta be there in person.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revjames View Post
    I have a 2020 F3-S Special Series, riding position 5. My first addition was Pierre's Ultimate Footboards. I have had no issues with brake pedal hitting footboard. Even after installing a larger brake pedal it didn't hit. I did eventually install a spacer between the pedal and it's arm, just to ensure that as the miles and pad wear increases even if I get more pedal travel my brake will still not hit footboard. Bought mine at end of April, a little over 4000 miles now and I have enjoyed every one of those miles!

When I took my Spyder in for it's initial service I did sit on a couple different newest versions of the RT and other F3's. As for me I much prefer sitting in the F3 than on the RT. The RT is a very nice ride but I feel much more connected to the bike on the F3.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I agree with Ron and that's why I am happy with my F3L as I ride quite aggressively. As far as comfort goes, I got an Ultimate saddle used and then we went to our go-to seat customizer and had it shaped to our seats. He corrected my riding posture by moving me back a thankful inch and widened the passenger's perch to make the wife more comfy. Did I mention that heat was added?

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2851.jpg
    One of the snowmobiling techniques that is difficult with the stock F3L seat is the ability to side saddle in the corners as it's really a clumsy effort to move around on the seat, your seat looks like it might be easy to slide into a side saddle?

I'm sending my seat out to Laam in a couple of weeks and I was thinking of having opening the pocket and rolling the edge to make it easier to move side to side, thoughts?
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome