Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone know at what temperature the thermostat opens? I have been assuming it must be around three bars, but now that doesn't seem right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazey View Post
    Anyone know how hot it has to get before hitting "limp mode"
    I have heard of a few Spyders going into limp mode sitting in traffic on hot days. What temp or how many bars are showing
    I can't answer this, but mine went into limp mode riding through lake george during americade and my dealer tould me that it got up to 236. (info stored in the computer and retrieved with buds.)
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    Does anyone know at what temperature the thermostat opens? I have been assuming it must be around three bars, but now that doesn't seem right.
    167 degreees F, according to the service manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    167 degreees F, according to the service manual.
    Does the service manual have a list of temperatures for the bars? Lamonster's new readings and others who have checked are showing four bars at 175 - 180 degrees and five bars at 190 - 200. Some of us have been assuming the post by Ken (Evoluzione) was correct. That has one bar = 153, two bars = 171, three bars = 163, four bars = 207, five bars = 223, six bars = 230 and seven bars = 237. As stated in the start of this thread, maybe the Spyder runs cooler than we thought.

BillGargan

It strikes me to wonder . . . I believe that the cooling system in a car engine has a central objective of keeping the car in a narrow range of temperatures to allow it to operate at high efficiency.

I know nothing about these type of engines -- but, the range of temperatures that this demonstrates is rather extreme in my mind's eye.

Is this type of engine designed to operate across a wider range of temperatures than car engines?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I don't know, was I suppose to time it?
    Well, yeah!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    Does the service manual have a list of temperatures for the bars? Lamonster's new readings and others who have checked are showing four bars at 175 - 180 degrees and five bars at 190 - 200. Some of us have been assuming the post by Ken (Evoluzione) was correct. That has one bar = 153, two bars = 171, three bars = 183, four bars = 207, five bars = 223, six bars = 230 and seven bars = 237. As stated in the start of this thread, maybe the Spyder runs cooler than we thought.
    No list in the manual. These types of gauges are always approximate, so they will not read the same from bike to bike. I have always thought Ken's numbers were high, given that the thermostat obviously opens somewhere around 3 bars, and that temp is 167 degrees if the thermostat is up to snuff. On other bikes with this type of gauge I figure normal is about half the gauge, plus or minus a bar or two.

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post
    It strikes me to wonder . . . I believe that the cooling system in a car engine has a central objective of keeping the car in a narrow range of temperatures to allow it to operate at high efficiency.

I know nothing about these type of engines -- but, the range of temperatures that this demonstrates is rather extreme in my mind's eye.

Is this type of engine designed to operate across a wider range of temperatures than car engines?
    Motorcycle engines, even water-cooled versions do run at a wider range of temperatures than an automobile engine. These are not extreme, IMO.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-20-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!