Spyder Garage

Default My Saddlebag Support Options

There's not a lot of options out there for saddlebags, and there's no saddlebag support brackets available out there for the Ryker. There's Slingmods which I really like, they're currently out of stock on their three piece luggage set, and there's Lamonster, and that's it. I don't consider the single Shad side case an option, it looks ridiculous with just the one case hanging out there. I have a set of the Shad 3P side cases on my Kawasaki, but there's no brackets available to fit them to the Ryker.

I also have a set of Sport throw over saddlebags for another bike, so I decided to try and fab some supports for them to fit the Ryker. I searched the shed, the garage, and the house for something that I could use my imagination with, but to no avail. I ended up going to Lowes and walking around the store for some suitable materials and decided to use some vinyl coated steel closet shelving, cut, bent to shape and painted black. I can use it on the Linq plate and the Tunnel bag and it extends the bags beyond the end of the Linq plate to clear the driveshaft housing. Here's how it turned out. Excuse the uncut lawn and mess on the walkway, it's been raining here for days.

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2023 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

That's a real nice looking setup you've got there. I thinking your next add on well be a nice plush back rest. Sorry...did I just make you start brainstorming?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    There's not a lot of options out there for saddlebags, and there's no saddlebag support brackets available out there for the Ryker. There's Slingmods which I really like, they're currently out of stock on their three piece luggage set, and there's Lamonster, and that's it. I don't consider the single Shad side case an option, it looks ridiculous with just the one case hanging out there. I have a set of the Shad 3P side cases on my Kawasaki, but there's no brackets available to fit them to the Ryker.

I also have a set of Sport throw over saddlebags for another bike, so I decided to try and fab some supports for them to fit the Ryker. I searched the shed, the garage, and the house for something that I could use my imagination with, but to no avail. I ended up going to Lowes and walking around the store for some suitable materials and decided to use some vinyl coated steel closet shelving, cut, bent to shape and painted black. I can use it on the Linq plate and the Tunnel bag and it extends the bags beyond the end of the Linq plate to clear the driveshaft housing. Here's how it turned out. Excuse the uncut lawn and mess on the walkway, it's been raining here for days.

I saw your youtube video this morning on making this. Nice job with using the shelving rack!

Not sure that would work with me though because I have the passenger seat. I ended up doing something different with bent stainless tubing and picking up on the side bolts on the passenger seat and side frame that holds the max mount on.
    Whatever works!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2023 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I saw your youtube video this morning on making this. Nice job with using the shelving rack!

Not sure that would work with me though because I have the passenger seat. I ended up doing something different with bent stainless tubing and picking up on the side bolts on the passenger seat and side frame that holds the max mount on.
    Whatever works!
    Agreed, whatever will work. There's just not a lot to attach to back there behind the seat. I thought about using some Harley saddlebag supports attached to a bracket, thats attached to where the passenger foot pegs mount. But then it would have to jet outwards past the driveshaft housing to clear it, wasnt sure how that would look. Whatever anyone does to mount dual saddlebags, whether hardside or soft, its going to take some creativity.

Spyder Garage

Good job!!! You are slowly making that solo ryker into a touring Beast!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Good job!!! You are slowly making that solo ryker into a touring Beast!!!
    Thanks, or a great commuter too. Actually, I would like to get it to the point of being able to do trips of 3 or 4 days comfortably, its almost there. its a 12 hour ride to the mountains from where I'm at, I've made the solo trip many times annually on my two wheelers. Covid restrictions pending, I'll be taking it towards the end of October. I know right now many of the parks and restaurants are closed, so that will have to change.

Spyder Garage

Rick, this is a very nice solution with these bags on the side.
    Can you please tell me, what manufacturer and model these side bags are?
    Thanks
    Michael

Spyder Garage

I purchased the saddlebags a couple of years ago on Amazon for another one of my bikes. They're called Rapid Transit Commuter Saddlebags. I made a support cage out of vinyl coated steel closet shelving, bent it to shape, cut out the space for the Linq base ears, painted it black and layed it in place. Saddlebags go on, then the Linq Sport bag. Once the Linq top bag is locked into place, and saddlebag straps attached, its good to go.

Just about any saddlebags will work as long as it has two straps going across connecting the bags, (not the large one piece solid strap connecting the bags to each other). It needs to be open in the center ( that why the two straps) so that the Linq top bag can lock into place. Guess you could cut holes in the one piece solid strap for the locking ears. The nice thing about it is that the whole thing can be taken off in about 20 seconds or less.
    Here's a short video that I did after putting it together.

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2023 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Fixed vid link display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Really nice work.
    Thanks for the video.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Very nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To support my soft bags, I went to Lowes and just bought a strip of metal was 2 inches wide and about a yard long. I slipped it through my Max Mount. I then just bent it into position. Keeps my bags off of the swing arm without issue. See picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    To support my soft bags, I went to Lowes and just bought a strip of metal was 2 inches wide and about a yard long. I slipped it through my Max Mount. I then just bent it into position. Keeps my bags off of the swing arm without issue. See picture.
    Great idea. You said you slipped the strip of metal through the Max Mount. Could you show a more detail pic of how you did this and what department at Lowes did you find the strip of metal? How thick is it? Thanks so much!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post

There is a guy on facebook that builds a bracket for saddlebags. Very well made. I bought a bracket from him. You can mount any kind of bag you wish. Here is their web page:

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/rykerlyft

sb5_11zon.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2023 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I did this 5 days ago. Problem, my paint never dried, still tacky I've used this paint a couple of times !! I don't know why. But the rack idea works well....so far.